Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Washington County)

Default Carry with out LTCF in possesion

Long story short, I was at the Washco court house today. Checked my firearm, and they held my LTCF at the door with the gun. When leaving I retrieved my gun but forgot to get my LTCF back. I called the Sheriffs Dept and told them as soon as I realized i for got to get it back. They said I could come get it today (not possible as I wont make it back in time) or they will send it to me.

I asked that they send it to me, he said no problem, it will go out on monday. In the mean time, can I still carry with out the LTCF in my possesion with out breaking and laws? A quick search has not turned up the info I desire.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Carry with out LTCF in possesion

Good question.

(Franklin County)

The law requires that you "be licensed". You are. However, you could have a problem if you encountered a situation where you needed to produce the license to prove your status.

When you get the LTCF back, make a copy (or several) and tuck the original away in a safe place.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Bucks County)

IANAL, but I would think that it is okay. You can drive your car without having you license in your possession. Also, since its such a short period of time, there's not a very good chance of having a LEO encounter anyway. I'm surprised they wanted to hold on to your LTCF, they didn't do that for me in Bucks County.

EDIT: Just saw gnbrotz's post, and can't agree more. Always carry a photocopy and leave the original in the safe. PA law specifically states that its okay to photocopy or laminate your LTCF.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by bac0nfat View Post
    PA law specifically states that its okay to photocopy or laminate your LTCF.
    Citation please? I know some Sheriffs suggest this themselves, and I know of nothing prohibiting it, but I am unaware of any statute that specifically allows it.

Typically, laws make things illegal, not legal.

Quote Originally Posted by PGHxdguy View Post
    Long story short, I was at the Washco court house today. Checked my firearm, and they held my LTCF at the door with the gun. When leaving I retrieved my gun but forgot to get my LTCF back. I called the Sheriffs Dept and told them as soon as I realized i for got to get it back. They said I could come get it today (not possible as I wont make it back in time) or they will send it to me.

I asked that they send it to me, he said no problem, it will go out on monday. In the mean time, can I still carry with out the LTCF in my possesion with out breaking and laws? A quick search has not turned up the info I desire.
    You would need your LTFC on you if you're going to CC. Otherwise, you'd have to OC in the meantime. Even though you have a valid LTFC you need it on you while CC. It's like having a DL and forgetting it at home. You get pulled over and a cop asks to see your DL. Technically, he can fine you (and in some States arrest you) for not having it on you at the time of being pulled over.

Go to the Courthouse first thing Monday morning.

IMO, I wouldn't CC until then just in case.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by iMoses14 View Post
    Even though you have a valid LTFC you need it on you while CC.
    Citation of law? As noted, if you need to produce it, you could have a problem, but the law allows for you to produce it at a preliminary hearing if you would actually be charged.
    It's like having a DL and forgetting it at home. You get pulled over and a cop asks to see your DL. Technically, he can fine you (and in some States arrest you) for not having it on you at the time of being pulled over.
    Again, citation of law? In PA you have 15 days to produce your license if you're pulled over and do not have it with you.

(Jefferson County)

I bet most of you all dont even have the real LTCF..

If you're carrying anything other than the official PSP designed PAPER license as prescribed by the General Assembly you're just carrying a representation of licensing which is just as significant as a means of representation as a photocopy is.

Always photo copy your license(or representation of license) and keep a copies available just in case you lose the original. Best thing to do is carry a laminated copy in your wallet, a copy in your glovebox of each vehicle(will come in handy for spouse and children who drive your car), and store your original safely.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

You would need your LTFC on you if you're going to CC. Otherwise, you'd have to OC in the meantime. Even though you have a valid LTFC you need it on you while CC. It's like having a DL and forgetting it at home. You get pulled over and a cop asks to see your DL. Technically, he can fine you (and in some States arrest you) for not having it on you at the time of being pulled over.

Go to the Courthouse first thing Monday morning.

IMO, I wouldn't CC until then just in case.
    and at that you could only oc on foot

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Best thing to do is carry a laminated copy in your wallet, a copy in your glovebox of each vehicle(will come in handy for spouse and children who drive your car), and store your original safely.
    I agree with your suggestions, but there is an exception for spouses/children in the statute - 6106(b)(13)
    (13) Any person who is otherwise eligible to possess a firearm under this chapter and who is operating a motor vehicle which is registered in the person's name or the name of a spouse or parent and which contains a firearm for which a valid license has been issued pursuant to section 6109 to the spouse or parent owning the firearm.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast