Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default I'm looking for a .308 semi-auto

I'm looking for a semi-auto .308 caliber rifle with excellent accuracy for long distance shooting (200-400 yards). Price is not a concern because in the past I have bought items with price as a concern and ended up buying the nicer item later so I have decided to go big or go home.

Thank you for your help. I have been looking at a Les Baer model ( unsure of which one)

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: I'm looking for a .308 semi-auto

Armalite AR10 the og of 308 guns..If price is not a factor drink the kool-aid and get the knights, has all the bells and whistles and is combat proven...

no particular order, this is what i would recommend you consider:
    1. M1A Loaded $1800
    2. HK91, SAR8 (not aluminum receiver), PARS XG3 $1700-$2600
    3. MSG91 by PTR $1600
    4. Fulton Armory M14 $2600
    5. LRB M14S or M25S $2600-$2900
    6. LWRC REPR $3500
    7. POF (can't recall the designation) $2600
    8. SCAR-17s $3600

i like FAL's but imo they aren't up to the test for 600-yard shooting. someone else will be along in 5 mins to tell you that's BS, they can outshoot anything, their's is a tack driver and i'll say "good for you, but mine isn't"

i admit freely this list reflects my bias against DI-system AR rifles. i won't pitch this battle to you but i will let someone else recommend those 308 rifles to you.

these are not all price or cost comparable. i mention a variety of prices because although you say "price is no object", if it truly was NO object you'd buy all of them and tell US what worked!

optics are toughest to mount on M1A/M14 rifles, and easiest on the AR variants. HK designs are in between. lower than the M1A, but higher than the AR. if you really like iron sights then M1A/M14 is the clear choice. if you want both AR will probably work better, with the right setup you can co-witness. to make both irons and optics work on a HK design you will need to remove the optic. i find LaRue quick-detach mounts work well for this.

M1A/M14 is limited to 175gr bullet weights. some HK clones such as the PTR don't like tar-sealed primer surplus ammo. 308 AR magazines have a reputation of being problematic. SCAR is really pretty untested.

there is no clear choice, it comes down to what you want and what problem you are willing to deal with having to solve.

(Monroe County)

One Word, DSA FAL carbine, look into thier Congo rifle, did you see the movie "Congo" check it out, .

I have the fullsize rifle but like you i'm looking into a compact .308 rifle.

Go to DSA's website and feed your eyes.

Nyman

(Indiana County)

i second the DSA option...and yes..i love my FAL"s....not tack drivers but close enuff..

If a Les Baer AR-10 fits your budget, absolutely get one. You'll have a bit of a wait on a new one, but he does some downright amazing work. Production guns can not compare to a truly custom one.

(Centre County)

[QUOTE=chauncey;1288183]
    1. M1A Loaded $1800

If it was my money, the above.....

6. LWRC REPR $3500

If it was your money OP, the above......
    QUOTE]

edit...
    http://forum.pafoa.org/firearms-6/10...1a-loaded.html

looky here.....
    Last edited by FLICK; July 29th, 2010 at 12:42 PM.
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.

If you aren't completely hung up on .308 you might consider an M76 in 8MM Mauser, or even *GASP* a PSL in 7.62x54R. Cheaper to shoot, for sure.

(Cumberland County)

+1 FAL I like mine

Find me at my other home...

http://www.falfiles.com

On a slightly related note re. CETME:
    If you are thinking of getting one, unless you can get your hands on an older one, stay away from the CETME. All of the good parts kits have been used up. What is top shelf today was middle to low shelf 5 years ago.
    Last edited by daschnoz; July 29th, 2010 at 12:15 PM.
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

(Luzerne County)

Have had M1A's for a number of years. They are old school, steel and wood. Even the magazines are steel. They pick up and aim just any regular "hunting rifle", good peep sights with a long sight radius. A good one like a Springfield will shoot just about any ammo you put through it. The bad: It must be cleaned from the muzzle. It does not suit scope mounting verry well, but there are mounts made for it. Last year got myself a Armalite AR10A4. If you like the M16/AR15 it is just about the same only bigger. It has the top rail so scope mounting is no problem. It comes apart like any AR so it can be cleaned from the chamber side. As far as how it shoots, so far not bad, will take most types of ammo no problem and this old fart can hit a steel pie pan at 400 yards just about every time. In time maybe I will get a FAL to see how it stacks up. I can not tell you what kind of rifle to buy, just what I have found out. The fun is finding out for your self.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast