Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Fayette County)

Default Living in two places

I 'm trying to figure out how to get my PA registered hand gun and shotgun legally to RI. I've looked at RI law and cannot find anywhere how to transfer it. can I bring it personally, do I have to transfer it via dealer, shop etc. Anyone have a reference site or link?

Also, I own a house in Pa and will be renting a house in RI. I guess technically my 'residence' will change. I applied for my CCP using my current PA address, once I take up 'residence in RI, does it become null and void? I've looked into getting one in Ri and it WAY harder

Man, I'm gonna miss owning a gun in PA...

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Living in two places

Quote Originally Posted by tlam70 View Post
    I 'm trying to figure out how to get my PA registered hand gun and shotgun legally to RI.

I've looked at RI law and cannot find anywhere how to transfer it. can I bring it personally, do I have to transfer it via dealer, shop etc. Anyone have a reference site or link?

Also, I own a house in Pa and will be renting a house in RI. I guess technically my 'residence' will change. I applied for my CCP using my current PA address, once I take up 'residence in RI, does it become null and void? I've looked into getting one in Ri and it WAY harder

Hopefully someone can help you out, but just before someone else chimes in to get it out of the way:

1) There is no gun registration in PA, although the PSP maintains an incomplete sales "database" for firearms.

2) In PA it's a License to Carry a Firearm (LTCF), not a CCP, CCW, CHL or other term. The Sheriffs have a bad habit of calling it by the wrong name.

Best of luck, I don't have the answers for you but hopefully someone here does.

Quote Originally Posted by tlam70 View Post
    I 'm trying to figure out how to get my PA registered hand gun and shotgun legally to RI. I've looked at RI law and cannot find anywhere how to transfer it. can I bring it personally, do I have to transfer it via dealer, shop etc. Anyone have a reference site or link?

I'd say search for a RI gun forum and ask there or call an FFL in RI and ask them

(Centre County)

If you are moving to RI, and the guns you have are legal in RI, you can transport your guns with you when you move. You are covered under Federal statutes. There are other ways also, but carrying them yourself is the easiest (IMO).

From the BATFE:

Q: May a person who is relocating out of State move firearms with other household goods?

Yes. A person who lawfully possesses a firearm may transport or ship the firearm interstate when changing his or her State of residence.

Certain NFA firearms must have prior approval from the Bureau of ATF before they may be moved interstate. The person must notify the mover that firearms are being transported. He or she should also check State and local laws where relocating to ensure that movement of firearms into the new State does not violate any State law or local ordinance.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(4) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.28 and 478.31]

AND

18 USC Sec 926A:

"Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console."

Any time I moved (and I moved a lot during 26 years in the USAF), I would put the guns in their cases (or the original boxes they came in) and put them in the car or truck. I boxed up all my ammo and did the same. I never had any problems.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Washington County)

In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(York County)

Where are you registered to vote, and what drivers license do you have? I maintain a dual residency because of the military (PA and wherever I'm stationed) and it sometimes gives me problems. The best thing you can do is have a copy of your address with a sent piece of mail to present to prove residency, along with your drivers license to show residency in that state or another state.

Transportation should be fine if you do it yourself by locking them up and driving to your new residence.

Don't get butthurt over the CCP phrasing...in Kansas it's a CCHL, if that makes things any more confusing!

(Jefferson County)

Rhode Island doesn't have registration(neither does PA). All you have to do is transport them under FOPA guidelines when you move.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Montgomery County)

Don't stop in New York either. New York likes to give the feds a big middle finger when it comes to the FOPA.