Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Centre County)

Default VZ 2008 / 7.62x39 ammo problem???

Hey all, not sure which category this really belongs in, but I'm hoping someone can shed some light. I'm really at a loss here.

I have a Century VZ 2008, after some sight in adjustments, hits exactly where I need it to, more accurate than I'm capable of being. I went to a carbine course this weekend and ran into some issues with ammo, first with a broken shell, which I know is an expected eventual obstacle when shooting this caliber, and then had a round fire, but the case blew out the back, shooting powder out the back into the receiver, and knocking the dust cover off, and obviously resulting in a critical failure. This all occurred using the current Yugoslavian M67 surplus that has been a good shooting round and non problematic round from what I have been able to research. Prior to the course, I had shot about 200 rounds of the Yugo and probably 200 rounds of assorted steel case without any problem.

To try and troubleshoot, I bought a box of standard Walmart Winchester white box and went out to run some rounds today. After about 10 good Winchesters, I went through about 10 Yugo rounds before experiencing the same case blowout that I had during the course. At this point I decided to abandon the Yugo altogether and finish the box of Winchester. A few rounds later, the extractor ripped the back of the case and resulted in a broken shell stuck in the chamber. Keep in mind a round fired and hit the target every time, no FTFs.

I examined a lot of the casings left over from today and noticed that most had a bit of a bulged line near the bottom of the casing. A few of them even have cracks. You'll be able to see on the attached pics.

First pic from the left is various Yugo ammo cases, L to R: unfired round, fired case with line and slight bulge in case, fired round with line and slight bulge in case, blown case, blown case.

Second pic from left is a closeup of the same Yugo ammo.

Third pic is Winchester cases, L to R: unfired round, fired case with line and slight bulge, fired case with slight crack in case, fired case with larger crack in case, case bottom that was cycled after broken shell.

ANY advice anyone has on this one would be greatly appreciated. The gun hits its target every time and feels great in my hands so I'd really like any remedy other than sending it back. It's been suggested that because it's an eastern bloc rifle, it was designed to be used with steel cased ammo, which I intend to try, but you would think the Yugo ammo would work under such conditions since it was built for these rifles. Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: VZ 2008 / 7.62x39 ammo problem???

I have a CZ-USA VZ-58 and never had this problem. Do the Century VZ's use a new made barrel? I would suspect either a chamber issue or head space issue. Either way, Century would be getting it back.

I checked the chamber on my VZ with a round. The extractor groove and just a little (less than a mm) in front of the groove is sticking out of the chamber.

Hope that helps.

(Allegheny County)

My gut says that's not an ammo problem that's a rifle problem.

It appears to not be locking up right, (timing) or supporting the rounds properly in the chamber. (head space) I'm far from the expert, especially when it comes to VZ stuff as I do not own any so I'll shut up and step aside for someone with more experience.

But I've got a bunch of AK's that don't bulge cases or rip off rims etc. Never have, not once, and they've been fired thousands of times with all kinds of ammo. Even when they are smoldering hot. No issues like that.

I don't know how the VZ bolt / mechanics differ from the AK. But I think you have an issue with the rifle itself.

*** ETA: Again, I don't know the inner workings of the VZ intimately, and there are weapons that can fire slightly OOB and not explode and kill you. But I still am concerned about the rifle being at least slightly dangerous at this point. So whatever you do, proceed with caution please. ***
    Last edited by Asmodeus6; August 3rd, 2010 at 09:49 PM.

(Beaver County)

I agree with what the other posters are saying.It almost has to be a head space issue.Just my opinion I'm no expert.

(York County)

you have major headspace issues, my friend, and need to stop shooting that rifle. you need to return it to the vendor as unsafe, for a replacement.

the lock-up on the VZ58 type depends on a tilting breach block laying into a notch out in the lower rails inside the receiver, which are only 1/8" thick. if the receiver is not heat treated to a high enough hardness these notches will be hammered backwards, allowing an increase in headspace.

(Washington County)

Yeah, looks like a headspace issue, maybe too short a throat/chamber but probably headspace. Return to where you got it.

(Lancaster County)

Head spacing issue, send it back

(Lancaster County)

PPPppphhtttt What do you know Coils??

Kidding. Coils is probably right.

(Berks County)

Yeah, sounds like a headspace problem.

CAI's half-assed assembly monkeys strike again.
    These are the exalted gharāniq, whose intercession is hoped for. LMAO