Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Perry County)

Default Century Arms AK-47

How are the Century Arms AK-47s? This seems to be what the local Dunham's
    carries.

They're on sale (as well as lots of other things) Sunday and Monday (10/21 & 10/22).

$279.99 for a regular stock 7.62x39 with 1 clip. after Monday - $299.99
    $219.99 for a Dragonov stock in 5.45x39. no mention of a clip but pic shows a clip inserted.
    There's also anothe pic of what looks to be the same rifle but with a smaller clip for $229.

I'm almost tempted to go back tomorrow and pick one up at those prices. If Century Arms is junk, then I'd stay away though.
    Last edited by WWGunslinger; October 20th, 2007 at 01:35 PM.

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: Century Arms AK-47

They are what they are, inexpensive, fun shooters. Watch for front sight and gas piston cant. What this means is either one can be a few degrees off 12:00 to the left or right. Look through all of them for the best one. If you enjoy shooting it then look into a more expensive one. Don't be too concerned over finish, you can strip and stain the wood, and refinish metal with duracoat, or similar product.

(Philadelphia County)

Also watch out for loose mag wells - this is on the WASR-10 HICAP only (Romanian AK-47 clone.) They don't have that dimple that other AKM clones have above the magwell, the one that is designed for keeping the magazine stable in there. So it may rattle while you are running around being a mall ninja . It is fixable...but a pain. I was lucky - mine was machined out to the right proportions.

The WASRs were originally hi-cap - then were converted to locap because of sillyness on Capitol Hill, then the conversions were reversed when some logic was applied to the situation. The result is usually a dremelled magwell.
    NEED should never enter into a discussion about RIGHTS

(Northumberland County)

look at the mag opening or check the specs. the cheap one might be a single stack model.

you want the double stack, this one accepts all of the std ak mags out there and you dont have to spend all your time looking for specialty 10 shot single stack mags.

if your looking at the rifle, the mag opening should be almost as wide as the reciver on the bottom with only MAYBE a little more than an 1/8" on the sides.

(Northumberland County)

btw GEEEZZEE are you just trying to start trouble here !!

if the ak guys see this, itll turn into another ar thread!!

"if its not a lancaster or vector, its junk"

imo, just about any rifle, adjusted and taken care of PROPERLY will provide excelent service. those that state otherwise, usualy just dont know the ins and outs of their firearm.

imo, just about any rifle, adjusted and taken care of PROPERLY will provide excelent service. those that state otherwise, usualy just dont know the ins and outs of their firearm.
    There are those that like to shoot and there are those who like to fix things. I take it your one of the guys who likes to fix things rather than shoot? It has nothing to do with taking care of a rifle, in gerneral the Century products are on the bottom of the totem pole ( except the Yugo AK's).

If you buy a $250 rifle you will get a $250 rifle. Keep your expectations low and you'll be fine.
    Last edited by Jay5oh; October 20th, 2007 at 07:19 PM.
    "The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil but, because of the people who do nothing about them."
    - Albert Einstein

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jay5oh View Post
    There are those that like to shoot and there are those who like to fix things. I take it your one of the guys who likes to fix things rather than shoot? It has nothing to do with taking care of a rifle, in gerneral the Century products are on the bottom of the totem pole ( except the Yugo AK's).
    well, not exactly, but i might not be far from that presumption

i think the bigger problem is people that don't know their weapon.

take the ubiquitous century gp wasr-10 as an example, they are know to need a cleaning when you get them due to hogging out the mag wells leaving chips in the receiver.

now you have a shooter who has a problem extracting, and it dosent work no matter what rock he hits it with, "that stoopid century junk". when a simple bolt disassembly will find the offending metal chip under the extractor. after its removed, the rifle live to fire 50k more rnd w/o a hitch.

imo, its all about knowing your weapon.

(Montgomery County)

if you didn't like the recoil of the AR15 you shot, you are gonna HATE an stamped ak in x39
    just pointing it out.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by JayBell View Post
    if you didn't like the recoil of the AR15 you shot, you are gonna HATE an stamped ak in x39
    just pointing it out.
    I don't know if it was the stock that made it uncomfortable or what. Its a cheap 2 position collapsible stock. I don't know if this would have anything to do with it, but it also felt very short. The distance between my shoulder and the trigger was too short. It may have been better with a better stock.

from that standpoint, shooting it constantly for a extended period of time would not be fun to me.

(Montgomery County)

standard AK "warsaw pact" length buttstocks are very short, about 1" shorter than a old M16 stock, which is shorter than an A2 modern fixed AR stock.

again, try before you buy
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast