Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Interesting read for AR Maint/Clean/Lube

Just an interesting article a friend sent me today. Kinda makes me think I may be over-doing it with some of my cleaning, maybe I can tune it down a bit and focus less on cleaning and more on actual maintenance as described?

Any critics to any of the methods here?

http://www.defensereview.com/m4m4a1-...yre-our-fault/

Basic cleaning and lube stuff. Just thought this one would bei a useful print out to have around.

http://vickerstactical.com/tactical-...n-lubrication/
    http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum...3839#post13839

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Interesting read for AR Maint/Clean/Lube

Good stuff, there are many out there doing just that without issues.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

Somehow that second link isn't what I had been sent...should be a diagram?? I have no idea where that went, less useful than the intended link.

(Allegheny County)

It is/was a diagram for me...
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

oh boy...disregard my last. Apparently I should have stayed in bed today.

(Montgomery County)

Thanks, very informative about the lube points, I have been wondering about that.
    Now less Glock, more H&K :)

(Philadelphia County)

Mike Pannone knows what he's talking about, pay attention there. He is talking about a lot of what I have learned over the years and have tried to stress about the difference between maintenance and cleaning. The second link has good advice about lube and the third link goes to a post by QUIB. QUIB is one of the VERY few posters I took seriously when he was a mod over at ARFcom. He is now over at M4C (and weapon evolution apparently, I'm not familiar with the board but I do know QUIB knows what he is talking about.)
    But you're right, most of the cleaning regimen's I read about I would only advocate for AR's going into storage or safe queens that are only taken out and shot a couple times a year. My personal cleaning regimen takes only a few minutes and involves a boresnake and a wipedown of the BCG and upper before lube. In Basic I saw plenty of rifles whose only cleaning regimin was a copious squirt of CLP on the side of the bolt before going down the line with no rifle related malfunctions (ie. magazines and don't even get me started on shitty old BFA's ) Some more good articles from Pat Rogers (who has daily round counts higher than what I shot in Basic) can be found here.
    http://slip2000.com/testimonials.html
    Warning: I may not read responses to OP before posting

Quote Originally Posted by Legion_Prime View Post
    ) Some more good articles from Pat Rogers (who has daily round counts higher than what I shot in Basic) can be found here.
    http://slip2000.com/testimonials.html
    I don't mean to get too far off track of the thread, but do you have any experience with the SLIP products? I had my eye on the EWG, do I need lube and grease to do it Pat Rogers style?

(Philadelphia County)

Yeah, I finally picked up some Slip last year. I didn't want to because I had several bottles of FP10 and CLP and well, why pay for more lube when I've got a ton already right? Man I wish I'd picked some up sooner. My EDC knife, a SOG Pentagon Elite, after I cleaned and lubed it, I tightened down the pivot and the action is cleaner and faster than when I first got it, now EWL goes on all my knives. I got a starter pack with a 4oz of the EWL, some Carbon Cutter and a spray bottle of the 762 cleaner/degreaser. Man, crap just came off with a towel. The best part, not only is it all water based so any cleanup is easy, but it smells pretty good and it's non-toxic. (No I haven't drank any . . . yet :P ) No more Hoppes #9 for me, you all know what I'm talking about (or at least you should )
    If you've got TW-25b, that's some great shit there. I use it on my carry pistol rails. I'm not worried about replacing that with EWG until I run out. Everything else I gave away, I still grabbed my buddy a bottle of the EWL to try out though. It just seemed like the decent thing to do. The starter kit only runs maybe $25ish and it should last you a while.
    Warning: I may not read responses to OP before posting

Quote Originally Posted by Legion_Prime View Post
    Yeah, I finally picked up some Slip last year. I didn't want to because I had several bottles of FP10 and CLP and well, why pay for more lube when I've got a ton already right? Man I wish I'd picked some up sooner. My EDC knife, a SOG Pentagon Elite, after I cleaned and lubed it, I tightened down the pivot and the action is cleaner and faster than when I first got it, now EWL goes on all my knives. I got a starter pack with a 4oz of the EWL, some Carbon Cutter and a spray bottle of the 762 cleaner/degreaser. Man, crap just came off with a towel. The best part, not only is it all water based so any cleanup is easy, but it smells pretty good and it's non-toxic. (No I haven't drank any . . . yet :P ) No more Hoppes #9 for me, you all know what I'm talking about (or at least you should )
    If you've got TW-25b, that's some great shit there. I use it on my carry pistol rails. I'm not worried about replacing that with EWG until I run out. Everything else I gave away, I still grabbed my buddy a bottle of the EWL to try out though. It just seemed like the decent thing to do. The starter kit only runs maybe $25ish and it should last you a while.
    You're not talking trash on that potent, sweet, kerosene of hoppes are you?!?

I've tried tw25b on my 229, I love it. It doesn't even feel like there is a frame to connect with, lol, just smooth gliding.

I also have been looking at the Slip products, but have yet to purchase them.

I know some people run grease and oil on their ar's. I haven't taken mine apart yet (), so I dunno what I have under the hood, lol. Should you just stick to oil, or oil and grease work best? (My mind is telling me I'm dumb for asking, and I should do both, but its early, and it has yet to prove its working correctly )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast