Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Looking for an apartment outside State College

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    Check with any of the Realty businesses, most of these also manage rental units in the area. Check the Lemont, Bellefonte, Boalsburg, Port Matilda areas. Further out would be Potters Mills, Spring Mills, Millheim, Lewistown, Tyrone, etc.

I'm out of town this week, but when I get back I'll take a look and ask around to see what might be available.

I take it you're looking for a nice 1 bedroom?
    Thanks, I really appreciate it!

Yep, 1 bedroom is fine by me. I can take a 2 bedroom is the price is still right, and beyond that I figure they're probably out of my price range. I'd like to keep it under $800 per month, so I know I'm going to have to remain flexible, particularly for this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigrepp61 View Post
    if you rent in bellefonte stay away from a guy named john snyder... can i say slumlord... best bet is to check out centre daily times or the daily progress.. they have alot of listings around here... whats your price range and such?? cuz its easier for us to look around for ya and give ya some options..
    Thanks for the tips, I'll check out those papers online.

I'm looking for a 1 or 2 bedroom preferably under $750-$800 per month.

What's the Philipsburg area like?

I see some decently priced places there, and a 24 mile drive, while a little farther than ideal, is within acceptable limits to me. It's even more acceptable given the lower rates I'm seeing.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA452 View Post
    What's the Philipsburg area like?

I see some decently priced places there, and a 24 mile drive, while a little farther than ideal, is within acceptable limits to me. It's even more acceptable given the lower rates I'm seeing.
    i lived in philipsburg when i first moved up here... its a bit farther of a drive but its cheap out there... had a house for like 500 a month,.... with up to 800 a month you have a lot of flexibility... ill look around and see what i can find and post it up here and im sure others would do the same

Quote Originally Posted by Bigrepp61 View Post
    i lived in philipsburg when i first moved up here... its a bit farther of a drive but its cheap out there... had a house for like 500 a month,.... with up to 800 a month you have a lot of flexibility... ill look around and see what i can find and post it up here and im sure others would do the same
    Yeah, the driving distance doesn't bother me much. I hate to spend more on gas, but when the apartments are cheaper, it offsets that price anyway.

Are you a student at PSU?

How did you like Philipsburg? How is the town?

(Lehigh County)

nope not a student... moved out here so my wife could transfer from kutztown u to psu... philipsburg isnt bad... only prob i had was i was used to a 24 hr city and alot of stuff closes early out there... its pretty quiet and the mountain you have to drive over can get pretty bad when it snows... other than that it is a decent place..

(Centre County)

Other places that might be good are Pleasant Gap, Zion, Milesburg, Howard, or Lamar. Howard and Lamar are a little bit further away but the drive is nicer than Philipsburg. In Howard, you're about 7 miles from a good outdoor range.

(Centre County)

When my wife and I moved up here 6 years ago we had a hard time finding an apartment. We ended up renting a house for FAR less than our apartment rent in MD. The out the Centre Daily Times website for listings.

Most of the bedroom communities are ok. Phillipsburg is a bit of a drive but they opened up the new 4 lane so you're looking at a 25 minute ride to State College rather than the 40 minutes it used to be. The only bad thing about it is you will be going up and over a 2000 foot mountain everyday. It gets a little hairy during winter.

Thanks for the help guys. I ended up getting a place yesterday.

I was all over the area, from Philipsburg to Bellefonte to Milesburg to Petersburg to Port Matilda to Potters Mills. And after all that, I ended up with a place right in State College, less than 3 miles from campus.

I came real close to ending up in Port Matilda. I looked at a really great place there yesterday. But, it came down to money primarily. I figured between gas (differences in commute) and a small difference in rent, I was saving just under $100 per month at the place I took. Doesn't seem like much, but I'll be on a fairly tight budget as I don't want to dip into savings if I can help it, so every little bit counts. Plus having that really short drive to campus scores pretty high in the convenience area.

(Lehigh County)

good to see you found a place... there are a few that i saw in state but didnt bother saying anything cuz you said you wanted something outside of the area... let us know when your in the area and we can hit scotia or something sometime... how old are you by the way?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast