Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Blair County)

Default Do I need an Act 235

If I work for an armored car carrier do I need act 235 certification. Act 235 is for carrying for employment; but if I work for an armored car company 6106.b.6 seems to exempt me. The statute states:

§ 6106. Firearms not to be carried without a license.
    (b) Exceptions.
    6. Agents, messengers and other employees of common carriers, banks, or business firms, whose duties require them to protect moneys, valuables and other property in the discharge of such duties.

Thanks

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Do I need an Act 235

If the company wants/requires you to be carrying, they will require you to have Act 235.

(Allegheny County)

It's my understanding that Security firms require ACT 235 to get lower insurance rates and help them with liability law suits. The state does not require a security guard to have an ACT235 certification. ACT235 does not give the person any more authority to use lethal force than any other citizen.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Philadelphia County)

Most of the people I see going through my local range's Act 235 classes are armored car guys for Brinks, etc. so I am going to assume you are not exempt.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Lycoming County)

There is an act 235 link on this site.
    I would be wary of any company that demanded me to carry in PA without 235.
    I know of no armored car employer that doesn't require it.
    During my training for 235 I had armored employees right next to me as well as guards for Three Mile Island.

Act 235 is more than going to the range. There's psych exams and a physical that a lot of law enforcement pros couldn't pass. (strangely enough active duty can obtain a 235 as long as they pass the psych test)

There are a lot of classroom topics regarding the law and justification of force not only for 235 applicants, but the do's and don'ts that apply to everyday citizens.

Once you get 235 don't think you can go into business for yourself as a bodyguard. Self empolyment requires you to obtain a private detective license. That is another horse of a different color.

Some of the 235 training/info in my opinion should be handed out free to any law abiding citizen who owns a firearm especially with justification of force with a deadly weapon.

Don't forget you still need a license to carry even if you have 235.

(Luzerne County)

So exactly what are these psych and physical tests that LEO's couldn't pass??

A psych test is a psych test......same with physical.

I looked at the 235 info..........the tests are the same requirements that I've gone through to become a LEO.
    Last edited by Steve in PA; November 21st, 2007 at 05:30 PM.

(Cumberland County)

I agree with Steve, anyone can pass these tests as long as you are in reasonable shape.Also, you can work for yourself, a PI lincense is required if you have other people working for you.

(Cambria County)

I'm sorry for going off of the topic but what is required for a PI lic in PA? I only ask this because I used to do bail enforcment in MD.
    These are the times that try men's souls: The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Thomas Paine 1776