Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Wyoming County)

Default ar optics question

on an m4 do you like flip up sights with red dot or front post with red do and front sight? Should I put the flip up front block on or isn't it worth it and I should just deal with the front post.

Flip down is so nice

Last edited by shooker8; July 31st, 2010 at 04:26 PM.

Default Re: ar optics question

I have AR-15s set up both ways. One option you have with a front sight post is using a tall mount for your red dot and do a 1/3 co-witness. This just means that your iron sights will be in the lower 1/3 of the optic, so the post doesn't interfere with your field of view through your optic.

(Wyoming County)

Does it affect your shooting at all?

It's like any other set up, you want to tailor it to what you intend to use the gun for. If you are just going to plink with the rifle, I say do whatever you want. If you intend to use it as a long range rifle, I'd suggest using a low profile gas block so you can mount a scope to it without any blurry block in your field of view. If you intend to use it for home defense, I think having both can be beneficial whether with a regular front sight post and a flip up rear sight, or with both being flip up sights with a low profile gas block.

But as always, it's up to you!

(Perry County)

I have a fixed front sight on my 3-gun AR. A Burris quick site and a flip up rear. the front sight is always in the lower third of the glass, but I do not notice it any more. Interestingly for more precise shots and for practice mounting the gun quickly, I can use the post to ensure that the gun isn't canted, simply ensure the dot is over the post and voila, the sight is directly over the bore. The thing I don't like is that I need a 3/4" riser to get the dot high enough to clear the post.

I also have a lower mounted 1x4 scope that I can use in matches with long shots. On 4x the front sight is hardly visible, only a slight blur in the bottom of the picture. Below 2X the sight is very visible and at 1x it is the whole bottom of the glass. I am used to it now but it was very distracting at first.

If you rifle has a front sight I would work around it, unless you are certain that you will always use optics. I would also use a flip up rear as the sight is going to block most of the glass and while usable a rear sight a post and a dot all at the same time makes for little room to see the target. I know the military uses flip up sights to augment their optics, but they are much more likely to abuse their sites and or run down their batteries than a civilian. If I were building another rifle for 3-gun or home defense I believe I'd start with a flat top and a pic gas block and just use optics. For home defense I would use a front sight, across the room distances will work even if you forget to turn on the dot, as long as that post is centered in the glass you will get good hits that close.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by shooker8 View Post
    on an m4 do you like flip up sights with red dot or front post with red do and front sight? Should I put the flip up front block on or isn't it worth it and I should just deal with the front post.
    I would suggest that if you have a fixed front site post leave it. Buy the red dot and try it out. If you find it bothers you - then switch out the front site post with a flip up.

I shoot all my red dot AR's with a fixed front site post. I actually prefer absolute co witness and not lower 1/3. That's just me though so like i said try it yourself and see.

I have a standard FSP on my AR. Whether I have the EAOtec or Leupold scope mounted, I don't notice the front sight is even there unless I look for it.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Bucks County)

I have a standard front post, and a chopped carry handle for my rear sight. I have an eotech xps set up on a riser (Yankee Hill Machine) to make it bottom third. I think this is the best setup (for me). You do not even notice the iron sights when using the eotech normally, but tilt your head and little bit lower and they are there if you need them. You don't have to worry about flipping up the b/u sights when you need them because they are already there. Also I am willing to bet that my fixed sights are more durable than any flip up sight you can buy (and WAY cheaper).

(Wyoming County)

Thanks guys. I had a 1-4 power with absolute co witness and wasn't a big fan of that, so I'm going to try the 1/3 co witness. Do you guys think the Trijicon reflex with the 30mm or a EOTech or Vortex SPARC.

Quote Originally Posted by shooker8 View Post
    Thanks guys. I had a 1-4 power with absolute co witness and wasn't a big fan of that, so I'm going to try the 1/3 co witness. Do you guys think the Trijicon reflex with the 30mm or a EOTech or Vortex SPARC.
    I spent months weighing all the options of red dots, (High end & lower priced.), 1X4 power tactical scopes, etc. It came down to either the Aimpoint or EAOTech, then I debated on which for a couple months. I chose the XPS because after handling both brands, it just worked better for me. You may be different.

Try the LaRue Tactical website. They have several Aimpoint & EAOTec mounting options & heights. Their prices aren't too unreasonable either. Click on "Optic mounts & Combo's.
    http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetac...StoreFront.bok

My only piece of advice is don't buy cheap optics. You'll end up regretting it somewhere down the road.
    Last edited by IronButt; July 25th, 2010 at 11:25 AM. Reason: addition
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast