Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Cambria County)

Default Has/Does anyone change their carry habits for the winter?

I was just wondering how many of us think about winter carry in a separate mode of thought than summer carry. I don't necessarily mean do you carry a heavier gun because your wear sturdier clothing (though that applies), I'm asking if you actually change not only what you carry but how you carry it due to the increased challenge of carrying a gun in a state with a real winter.

Through this past summer, I carried a light 9mm (Walter P99, FNP9) for most of the same reasons other people do; they're easier and more comfortable to tote under a light shirt with shorts or light pants on. But in the winter, I'm assuming we all wear coats to deal with the cold. Have you practiced your draw from concealment with your parka and gloves on?

I have, and I found that I'm not comfortable with the increase in draw time that comes with wearing a heavy coat and gloves. So in the winter, I carry a .357 Mag snubbie in my front coat pocket. I can grip it with gloves on, I can keep my hands in my pocket and thus on my gun at all times while wearing the coat and I can fire without having to draw if necessary (though this will likely cause some burn damage to my hand along with my glove and coat).

I still carry a regular carry gun (1911 government or one of the aforementioned 9mm's), and part of what I'm working on is being able to fire the wheelgun from concealment while unzipping my coat with my other hand so that I can get to my semi-auto if need be.

So I guess I wanted to discuss what others have done to try and minimize these types of issues during the winter/fall or whatever thought they've given it.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Has/Does anyone change their carry habits for the winter?

If I could afford it, I would probably buy many other guns to go-along with certain attire and situations.
    In fact, I am now looking into purchasing a smaller/lighter gun for summer carry than what I have now; a Para 4" Stainless Companion in .45. (38 ozs).
    I really like this gun but it tends to be a little bothersome in the summer. I recently lost a lot of weight and this gun, with beavertail, tends to constantly stick me in the ribs, especially with an IWB.
    I prefer to carry in OWB (Desantis scabbard)and can easily do so in the winter. I found that I can even do this in the summer with a t-shirt if I place the holster BEWTWEEN the pants and the belt. In other words have the belt OVER the holster. This helps keep the holster very tight to the body. I know this is not normal but my DeSantis tends to be top-heavy with the Para and pulls away from my side. Eventually I will buy a pancake style so as to wear it properly.
    I am in favor of carrying a gun in the pocket of a coat in the winter. I think that is a smart way to carry. But as mentioned, I can't buy everyone I want. Not yet anyway.

(Chester County)

Yeah, when I'm wearing a jacket that'll be zipped up I tend to throw a snubbie in an outer pocket.

I don't change my primary gun or load or anything like that for winter. I carry whatever I'm normally carrying, OWB, strong side. I'm just as happy carrying a 100 gr. 9mm +p+ screaming along as I am with 230 gr. JHP in .45.
    Last edited by Rule10b5; October 19th, 2007 at 02:15 PM.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(Westmoreland County)

I like to carry my P95 in a horizontal shoulder holster under a baggy sweat shirt or hoody. I adjust the front strap so the grip hangs down toward my waist line for easy access...

New AR15 Forum! www.AlphaRomeo15.org All AR, No Attitude!

(Erie County)

I switch to OWB due to baggy clothes.
    IWB or pocket isn't as comfortable but is really the only option due to wearing polo shirts.

(Philadelphia County)

nothing changes

(Bucks County)

considering that i've never been here for the winter, i dont even know what to really expect as far as a wardrobe change. I heard i need a hefty warm jacket, gloves, maybe scarf, etc. Coming from cali, ive never had to wear gloves, i think im going to go buy some and start practicing with gloves on. Last thing i want is to have to take gloves off in case of an emergency, by that time its game over for me. . I was thinking of a shoulder rig and possibly carrying my full length 1911 in .45 (as i feel the most comfortable shooting this) considering i'll be wearing a jacket but ive yet to try it, any recommendations, pros/cons to this?

(Philadelphia County)

I work in an office, so not alot changes, except more OWB because I have on a jacket or sportcoat/blazer, and I wear these

http://www.vtarmynavy.com/fingerless-gloves.htm
    Last edited by ExCopInPhilly; October 19th, 2007 at 03:33 PM.

JUSTITIA ET VIRTUS

(Snyder County)

Not much changes for me. In the summer I carry IWB and tucked in, so I practice lifting my shirt to un-holster.

In the winter, I wear a coat, but usually OWB. So I just have to lift my coat to un-holster. I don't really wear gloves at all. Only for the first couple minutes I am in my car or truck.

(Allegheny County)

i have not changed in the past, but i'm thinking of carrying OWB more this winter (usually carry IWB).

i often don't wear gloves in the winter. when i do, i usually wear football receiver's gloves which are thin and fit tight. you can easily draw and shoot with them on. they aren't as warm as thick winter gloves, but warm enough for everyday wear around here and allow you to maintain virtually all of your manual dexterity (and they are "tackified" which makes it really easy to hang onto things like a pistol...or a football).

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast