Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default MASA Range closed?????

I just went to the range and found it has a keyed pad lock on the gate. The gate always has combo lock.

I checked the range closing dates and nothing listed for Friday the 23rd. Does anyone have info on the lock issue?

Default Re: MASA Range closed?????

Try emailing or calling Margaret ...
    Tantric Shooting Team

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pagoda240 View Post
    Try emailing or calling Margaret ...
    My dad called the township and found out it was locked because of work being done near the range.

(Berks County)

The last 2 times I was there, road workers were dumping fill in an area near the targets. The gate was open when I got there. I talked to one of the workers. They were showing other guys where to dump the fill. They weren't directly behind the targets and I didn't see it as a problem. Anyone have more info? I was hoping to get some rangetime in soon if this heat ever lets up.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by sixstringer View Post
    The last 2 times I was there, road workers were dumping fill in an area near the targets. The gate was open when I got there. I talked to one of the workers. They were showing other guys where to dump the fill. They weren't directly behind the targets and I didn't see it as a problem. Anyone have more info? I was hoping to get some rangetime in soon if this heat ever lets up.
    Maybe call the township for more info.

Quote Originally Posted by sixstringer View Post
    yes me too... I just ordered some USPSA targets and going to make some stands. *Fun times* anyone going shooting let me know. I work nights so i am pretty much free everyday.
    Tantric Shooting Team

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pagoda240 View Post
    yes me too... I just ordered some USPSA targets and going to make some stands. *Fun times* anyone going shooting let me know. I work nights so i am pretty much free everyday.
    I will be there this morning with my dad. I got a new AR 15 I'm gonna try
    out.

My dad and I usually go Saturday or Sunday mornings bright and early.

(Berks County)

Something a little different.

This morning my dad and I were shooting, two different Muhlenburg cops came back to check things out. The last one to leave never locked the front gate. I thought that was pretty shitty. We have a locked gate for a reason yet the local police leave the gate open.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by GlockSig View Post
    Something a little different.

This morning my dad and I were shooting, two different Muhlenburg cops came back to check things out. The last one to leave never locked the front gate. I thought that was pretty shitty. We have a locked gate for a reason yet the local police leave the gate open.
    I was there from 930 to 10am.Must have just missed you. Iwas there 2 previous times when the road crew was dumping fill and they left the gate open all day. I guess they didn't want to keep unlocking it. Sunday when I was leaving a local neighbor was walking in around the gate with his dog. Maybe I should have said something about private property but didn't. I'm a memeber and IF I can't archery hunt back there why should he be able to walk his dog back there.

(Berks County)

Smile Re: MASA Range closed?????

Here's the way it was explained. . . .
    At times, the township maintenance dept. will need to do some work back at the range. When they dump fill, they dump it behind the backstop (look to the left when you drive in and you will see the dirt piles). This is the dirt they eventually use to build the backstop back up after it's shot down somewhat. They also mow the range and remove the trash.
    There is another pathway to the left - very grassy - that you can see when you are driving back. This pathway too, goes past the back of the backstop somewhat. At any rate, Sargeant Metzger of the Muhlenberg Police has determined that any time anyone is doing work at the range, or behind the backstop (albeit quite the distance) for safety's sake, the gate will be locked temporarily with a second padlock until the work is completed - mostly mowing. They were supposed to make a sign to hang on the gate letting members know what time the gate will be unlocked again - usually around an hour or so later but I guess the maintenance guys haven't bothered to post a sign.
    If you wait, it shouldn't take too long, or go for a coffee and come back in awhile. Yes, it is somewhat confusing, but Margaret explained it at the orientation that this is a preventative measure instituted by the MTP. The police department (MTP) determined that it is safer not to have anyone shooting while the workers are back there and that they can only schedule maintenance when the other police departments are not using the range for qualifying their departments (like mostly during the weekdays) or when it's raining. MASA does share the range with the cops who use the range to qualify. That's important too.
    While most of us practice safe gun handling, some people may not be aware of "their target and what is beyond". It is always better to be safe than sorry. I really like this range and nice ranges are becoming scarce enough. If it means the range can stay open for us, the civilians, to shoot then I'm ok with letting them do their thing and waiting a little while. I would hate to see something bad happen that they close the range for MASA club members.
    We have a little treasure here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast