Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Perry County)

Default An Open Letter To Philly's Reps

I felt the need to write up this letter to the state representatives of Philadelphia... It's lengthy, but is something I've been wanting to put in writing for some time.

Enjoy!

Dear Philadelphia Representatives,

In the wake of the recent school violence, and the defeat of any gun control legislation that was considered during the recent sessions of the state congress, I wanted to say “Thank You”. Thank you for restoring my faith in state government. Thank you for providing a vehicle to uphold the constitution of the State of PA. Thank you for bringing out the common sense of our elected officials.

Now ladies and gentlemen, before your heads swell too large, I mostly thank you for your completely irrational and uninformed proposals of gun control legislation. Your attempt to extinguish the flame of freedom, which burns within the breast of the many hard working citizens of this great state, was monumentally unsuccessful. The way that you restored my faith in the state government was by providing a means for the elected officials to show that they still care about upholding our freedoms. In the wake of the pay raise scandal, and the other problems plaguing our state and national government, it was refreshing to see and hear the sound defeat of frivolous anti-constitutional legislation.

Speaking of anti-constitutional legislation, the measures that you brought before the state representation were met with the full force of the constitution not only of Pennsylvania, but also the United States. Our great State’s constitution says "The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned." (Article 1, Section 21) All of the legislation that you proposed was in conflict with the spirit of this constitutional provision. The fact that the representatives of the State legislature voted down each and every one of these measures, in both the committee of the whole and regular legislative sessions, showed that the representatives of this State still concern themselves with upholding the rights of its citizens. Without your completely ridiculous proposals, my faith in the ability of this legislature might be completely shattered.

The most encouraging development from this whole ordeal is the common sense that appears to be alive in most of our State’s legislators. Most of our representatives realize that limiting hand gun purchases to one gun a month, outlawing certain types of guns, and making longer waiting periods for gun purchases are absolutely absurd. These measures keep firearms away from people who get their firearms legally. This in NO WAY would stop people who want to commit violent crime from doing so. Representative Roebuck, a Democrat from Philadelphia was quoted in the Philadelphia Inquirer, in an article by Mario F. Cattabiani and Amy Worden, as saying “Philadelphia is not the center of evil as some of you suggest... . Tell me how to save the children. Don't just tell me to keep things as they are." How, Mr. Representative, are the laws you propose going to save “the children”? By taking a means of protection out of the hands of their guardians? Is it by giving criminals the satisfaction of knowing that they can break into a home and not have the threat of an armed homeowner to worry about? How can you seriously believe that making these provisions in law will actually deter the LAWLESS? There is not a great deal of logic in your gun grabbing rhetoric.

Another quote from the Inquirer Article is by Bryan Miller and says: “This is the first crack in the pro-gun armor in Pennsylvania," said Miller. "People now believe that something can be done. For the first time at the statehouse, before the press and the citizens, we gave them that message." Unfortunately, Mr. Miller, I believe that you assessment of the situation is completely wrong. What you underestimate, is the voice of the gun owners of this state. You may have organized an anti-gun rally that turned out 2,000 people, but I would be willing to wager on being able to completely double that total if necessary. Anti-gun supporters need those pep-rallies to make themselves feel good. What pro-gun supports have, is faith that their elected officials will make the right decisions. This faith has been completely reinforced at the expense of your completely unfounded legislation proposals.

To conclude, I believe that Representative Daryl Metcalfe, a Republican from Butler said it best

“Liberal gun-grabbing legislation is going to go down here... . And I'm going to continue to stand with some of my colleagues and reference those hundreds of thousands of Second Amendment supporters that want the gun-grabbing legislation to go down."

Across this great state, hundreds of thousands of legal gun owners and enthusiasts, will vote for defenders of their second amendment rights. Your opposition to these proposed measures will not go away. You can have your anti-gun rallies and demonstrations. We, the gun owners of the state, will continue to rally where it counts: at the voting polls. Humanitarian leader Mohandas Gandhi once said of British tyranny: “Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest.” Unfortunately for you, Philadelphia legislators, we have The State Constitution, The US Constitution, and the resolve to preserve the freedoms guaranteed in both. You may propose vast amounts of legislation, but you will never break our will.
    Last edited by Buckmark.35; October 19th, 2006 at 10:06 AM.

(Berks County)

Thumbs up Re: An Open Letter To Philly's Reps

Buck - The only thing that I can say is BRAVO!

(Perry County)

That deserves nothing less than a standing ovation! VERY well written and articulate. I'd love to see any responses to that...

Dave G.

(Perry County)

Default Re: An Open Letter To Philly's Reps

Thanks guys!

Here in the near future I plan on sending that letter to the Philly reps. Any really interesting responses I get, I'll be sure to post here. I'm willing to bet that there will be some pretty funny stuff.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Buckmark.35 View Post
    Thanks guys!

Here in the near future I plan on sending that letter to the Philly reps. Any really interesting responses I get, I'll be sure to post here. I'm willing to bet that there will be some pretty funny stuff.
    Just make sure to send it to only the anti-gun Philly reps. For example Senator Fumo has always been friendly to gun owners, they're not all bad, just most of 'em!
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by danp View Post
    Just make sure to send it to only the anti-gun Philly reps. For example Senator Fumo has always been friendly to gun owners, they're not all bad, just most of 'em!
    Duly noted Dan...

I may make a couple of changes to the text to reflect that distinction. Certainly don't want to offend those reps who are upholding our rights.

(Berks County)

IMHO, you should send it to the pro-gun legislators as well. However, send it to them with an addendum indicating that you understand their support of gun rights, and wanted them to be aware of the letter sent to the anti-gun legislators. This way, if the antis try to comment or use it, respond to it, etc., our pro-gun friends in govt. also have the letter and are also able to intelligently comment on it on our behalf if they desire.

No harm in trying to recruit help for the cause.

BTW, brilliantly written.

(Cumberland County)

A job well done!!! And something I think we all have wanted to say. Kudos!

(Union County)

Good job, well thought out and well written

Please let us know if get any responses

grizz

(Chester County)

you get an A+