Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: crossbows

(Allegheny County)

Default crossbows

my buddy talked me into buying one for archery season instead of using my bow, okay don't know jack about them, but i am willing too learn, he has one made by ten point, anybody else use one during archery? thoughts, comments,good price, where too buy?

Default Re: crossbows

I have owned a crossbow in the past but never hunted with one. All my hunting has been bare bow with a recurve bow. I tried a top of the line compound bow however I just didn’t like the feel of it. Even though I could shoot it accurately it never felt right to me. I’m just an old throwback. I was born in 1949 and grew up shooting longbows and recurves bare bow instinctively. My best friend was 1/2 American Indian. We chased everything with our bows from fish and water Moccasins to once even ducks after watching Fred bear and Ben Pearson shooting ducks on a lake we were at in south Arkansas. They made it look easy. It was not but I knocked feathers of one but that was our last duck hunt with bows.

I can’t draw a bow anymore due to a neurological disease and I have considered a crossbow. If I do decide to get one I narrowed my choice down to one for many reasons you will find on their site. To each their own though. If I were you I would try before I buy! Here is the link. http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/

The Ten Points are nice, but they are pricey. With that being said, I owned an Excalibur and sold it. I am in the process of buying another crossbow and it will be another Excalibur. They have incredible accuracy and the cost is decent. I will be picking up a Phoenix with Lite Stuff package.

(Lackawanna County)

+1 for the excalibur

(Lackawanna County)

(Monroe County)

Ten Point is top shelf equipment so is Excalibur, Excalibur is owned by a Husband and wife team from Canada , both of them are hardcore hunters. There is a video on Verses TV of the Wife Killing a Lion with her crossbow.

Another good bow you should look into is Bowtech and Horton.

Nyman

(Chester County)

get the cheapest 125lb+ crossbow you can buy. i paid about $100 for my 150lb Eagle and it takes down deer as well as any other.

i love to hunt with it. as you might expect, its sort of a combination of gun hunting and bow hunting, sort of like short range gun hunting. i think its way easier than bow hunting and therefore way more effective.

definitely a +1 for crossbows from me

(Butler County)

My only expierence is with 1 cheapy barnett (one of their older cheaper models) and my new Ten Point TL-7

LOVE the Ten point - our of the box - 3 bolts in 3" circle at 40 yards - FROM A KNEEL!! Unbelievable. I'm very impressed with it.

As with anything, you get what you pay for, the Barnett is in the garbage dump.