Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Exclamation Almost got ripped off on an ACOG clone!

So I have a friend who I sometimes buy parts and guns from, and I usually get relatively decent deals from him. He wanted to sell off an ACOG that he had on his Bushmaster and was offering it to me before he put it up on local forums. His price to me was quite cheap, and I went ahead and withdrew half the money from an ATM and was going to withdraw the second half today. He brought it in today and I was looking at it in depth, and I found a couple of details that didn't really line up with me. I did some searching and found the exact model on an Airsoft site. Here's a picture from the site:

Even though this is marked Trijicon (R) and ACOG (R) and has an NSN and model #, this is not a true ACOG. The model # printed on the side is for a red-reticled 4x32 scope made for the M16A4 that the USMC uses. The reticle on this scope is black and amber in low-light conditions. I also noticed that the eyepiece was unscrewable, which was different from all the ACOGs I've ever used, so I unscrewed it and it popped right off. This more than anything else clued me in that it was a fake. On the red dot sight (Doctor sight) there were no Trijicon markings, and the design is slightly different from the design of the early Trijicon doctor sights. Also notice that the fiber optic is covered by a smoked (not completely clear) plastic cover, and does not extend to the end of the hood. This should not be the case on a TA31.

I had money in my pocket, but with some research I avoided a big loss for me. My friend is pissed off now, but the price he paid is not extraordinarily more than what is being asked online. A true ACOG should cost $900+, and the "airsoft" replicas are going for around $200.

Buyers beware! Check the model numbers on any sights you buy, especially if they're "tactical" in nature and could be used by the airsoft community!

Here's a link to the clone model:
    http://www.crw-airsoft.com/acog-ta31...dot-1741-p.asp
    Last edited by Andrew17019; July 21st, 2010 at 12:24 PM.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Almost got ripped off on an ACOG clone!

great post!

(Monroe County)

you do have to be aware of optics like this. people always list them everywhere. its what are called "Full Trades Clones"

basically they are Chicom made clones, most of the times crappy ones too, with full trademarks written all over then in clear violation of some sort of copy write laws or something. sure they look great and may function on an air soft or or a .22 but they are in no way meant to be used on a high power rifle.

hell i have an EOTech knock off clone on my Sig 522, but i didnt want the full trades model. just a plain jane model that resembled the real deal. just a fancy red dot, but it works well on a tacticool 22.

the more people know the better off they are when they buy stuff online. always best to see stuff in person and fondle it.

good post
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

Glad you found out it is a fake before you bought it!

There is an excellent post about identifying Aimpoint fakes on AR15.com. They show a number of fakes and how they differ from The Real Deal[tm]. They even fully disassembled one of the fakes--the diode is held in place with electrical tape! Tell me that is going to stay in place on a rifle and I have a bridge I'd like to sell you.

(Cumberland County)

THanks for this post. I've been thinking about getting an ACOG and will be even more scruntinous when I examine them.

I take it this guy is no longer your friend?
    The answer to a fool is silence.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Sunrise View Post
    I take it this guy is no longer your friend?
    Haha, because he tried to sell me a fake or because I'm the one who told him his ACOG was fake? He didn't know, and now he's pissed because he paid a couple hundred dollars over the airsoft store price! I have another friend who offered him $150 right after I told him it was fake and that kind of added insult to injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew17019 View Post
    Haha, because he tried to sell me a fake or because I'm the one who told him his ACOG was fake? He didn't know, and now he's pissed because he paid a couple hundred dollars over the airsoft store price! I have another friend who offered him $150 right after I told him it was fake and that kind of added insult to injury.
    Ok gotcha, that makes more sense that he didn't know...or did he lol
    The answer to a fool is silence.

Every ACOG I've seen to the best of my knowledge had molded/raised portions of lettering vs. this completely printed stuff in white. Could be another detail fakes avoid due to cost.

(York County)

The opposite side has the raised lettering "Trijicon (R)" and "ACOG (R)" as well as the inscribed bible verse and 4x32 denotation near the base. Most true Trijicon ACOGs have the model number and NSN inscribed in white lettering identical to this. The tritium warning is also in white, although the clone models do NOT contain tritium.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast