Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Fayette County)

Default New guy looking for some training/noob friendly range

Does anyone know where I can take an NRA first step pistol course? I've been looking for a while and can't find anyone to proctor the course on a weekend. I'm a stay at home dad for the summer since that's the only break I get from school. I live in the Port Richmond area of Philly. Classic pistol wants $100/hr for instruction. That's more than I'll make after I finish medical school. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: New guy looking for some training/noob friendly range

Though I'm not an NRA instructor, I really enjoy teaching new shooters for free using my own guns. You just need to pay for the ammo and range fee. My range, Philadelphia Archery & Gun Club in South Philly, charges $5 for range fee when you are my guest. It usually costs you about $45-50 in the end and you end up shooting 4-5 different guns. I've taught no less than 30 new shooters, including several PAFOA members here, in the past couple of years.

PM me, I'll give you my info. We may be able to do this as early as this Saturday.

Al

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by mkstan15 View Post
    Does anyone know where I can take an NRA first step pistol course? I've been looking for a while and can't find anyone to proctor the course on a weekend. I'm a stay at home dad for the summer since that's the only break I get from school. I live in the Port Richmond area of Philly. Classic pistol wants $100/hr for instruction. That's more than I'll make after I finish medical school. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Given what's going on, I see a GS-13 in your future.

(Fayette County)

Hopefully things won't be that bad by the time I finish (or at least I'm praying they won't)

(Philadelphia County)

like the above guy, if you want to head out to Sout Phila Archery and Gun Range at 8th and Ellsworth PM me. I can take you out and show you the basics. You just pay for the ammo and the range fee. Let me know if you want to go or if you want to even go again after trying it out with mythaeus.

again Southphillygunandarchery, 5.00 guest fee buy your own ammo. I would love to show you how to shoot. we can rent guns for free too. me, al, or anyone would be willing to help. just post when you can make it and most likely someone can meet you there.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by blendingnoise View Post
    like the above guy, if you want to head out to Sout Phila Archery and Gun Range at 8th and Ellsworth PM me. I can take you out and show you the basics. You just pay for the ammo and the range fee. Let me know if you want to go or if you want to even go again after trying it out with mythaeus.
    Quote Originally Posted by dunsho View Post
    again Southphillygunandarchery, 5.00 guest fee buy your own ammo. I would love to show you how to shoot. we can rent guns for free too. me, al, or anyone would be willing to help. just post when you can make it and most likely someone can meet you there.
    This is why I love Philly and gun owners from Philly!

The OP and I will be at SPAG at around 10 - 10:15 on Saturday if you guys are interested in coming out. I'll go over safety and techniques with him at my place before that and will head down there.

Al

would love to meet up but I work sats. I love pag for their range and their staff ain't 1/2 bad. Mike is my man there.

(Fayette County)

Thanks to all those that offered assistance. I'm sure things will go well with Al on saturday morning and look forward to meeting some forum members in the future. Sorry it took so long to respond but I wasn't getting email notifications.

(Fayette County)

UPDATE:

The range trip was a huge success. I don't think a first trip to the range could have gone any better. I was also very surprised by how much I liked his colt revolver. thanks again to Al for treating me to such a wonderful trip and I look forward to doing it again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast