Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Sold rifle in march...never picked up

I sold a rifle in feb/march of this year. Received payment in two halves in feb/march. Buyer stated that they would pick up after snow was gone.

I have not heard from the buyer since march. I sent several messages with the last message being sent in april. I did not get a response from the last 3 messages.

My question is how long am I obligated to hold onto the rifle? I sold the rifle on another forum.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Sold rifle in march...never picked up

Contractually, maybe.

Do you have additional contact info for the buyer? Were you sent a check that has an address on it? Do your best to send a letter to the house of the buyer. State in the letter that you will hold it for an additional x number of days and will either return the money (if possible) or sell the rifle to another. (that is what I would do)

Can you return the money? Can you contact the buyer... these are the important questions.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Montgomery County)

Strange situation. I wonder if the buyer passed away.

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

(Delaware County)

I would go beyond my means to try and reach the seller, send certifited letter to show proof you tried to contact them, that is if you know the address. send many e-mails as theis would also show proof. like stated in post before given 30 days notice to pick up or they can contect you for refund. Hope the seller did not get hospitalized or worst. strange case to be in.

Since you recieved the payment you haven't lost anything. Continue to attempt contact for one year from delivery date by all means possible. After that I'd call it a day and do as I wish with the firearm.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

(Lehigh County)

just be careful when you send it out to the other buyer because for all you knwo that guy ended up going to zimbabwe to take care of family and didnt have time to give you notice... then he comes home and you stole his money... i would set it aside for a while if you do give the rifle to the other guy just in case.... then consult an attorney

(Berks County)

My intent isn't to sell it again. It's just hard for a rifle to sit in my safe and not shoot it. I sold the rifle with 15 rounds through it so I intend to keep it that way for now.

The person has logged onto the site as of last week. It really shouldn't be up to me to continue to contact this person. The person should have picked up the rifle in march, april at the latest.

(Berks County)

If you have his home address do the following:

1. Send him a letter. Certified mail, RESTRICTED delivery. Inform him that you recieved his payment and that if he does not pick up the rifle in 10 WORKING days from the receipt of the letter you will be refunding his money.

2. Once you get the card back from the post office the clock starts ticking. When you get to the 10th WORKING day from when you got the post office confirmation, and he has still not responded, get a postal money order and send him the money back.

3. Re list the rifle for sale where you think it will sell.
    gotta love her ;)

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by gold cup abuser View Post
    1. Send him a letter. Certified mail, RESTRICTED delivery. Inform him that you recieved his payment and that if he does not pick up the rifle in 10 WORKING days from the receipt of the letter you will be refunding his money.
    I wouldn't be so generous as to refund the money. I'd give him 30 days to pick up the rifle or forfeit both the rifle and his money.

But whatever you do, DO send the letter Certified-Restricted, and keep documentation of what you sent and when.

Just a bit of CYA in case the buyer decides to take you to small claims court.

(Delaware County)

I've had this happen to me as well.

Sent a letter stating they have 7 days to pick up the item, otherwise their deposit would be absorbed as a "storage" cost for the item and both payment and item would be forfeited

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast