Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Alcohol and Fishing

A friend and I are having a discussion about the legalities of drinking while fishing. He was told recently, and then shown pafgc regulations that stated it's legal to carry and consume 3, 12 oz cans of beer while on the water. He was kayaking at a place where you can rent on the deleware river.

Is there any seperation between non-motorized water sports and non-motorized boats for fishing? I was pretty sure you can't consume alcohol while fishing, in a row boat, kayak, power boat, or aircraft carrier.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Alcohol and Fishing

Quote Originally Posted by jcabin View Post
    A friend and I are having a discussion about the legalities of drinking while fishing. He was told recently, and then shown pafgc regulations that stated it's legal to carry and consume 3, 12 oz cans of beer while on the water. He was kayaking at a place where you can rent on the deleware river.

Is there any seperation between non-motorized water sports and non-motorized boats for fishing? I was pretty sure you can't consume alcohol while fishing, in a row boat, kayak, power boat, or aircraft carrier.
    It's not "alcohol + fishing" that's an issue. It's "alcohol + boating" that's regulated.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    It's not "alcohol + fishing" that's an issue. It's "alcohol + boating" that's regulated.
    So if I'm sitting on a dock I can sip as many beers as I want while fishing? You can't operate a motorized boat, but what about a row boat? Still a DUI?
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Franklin County)

So if I'm sitting on a dock I can sip as many beers as I want while fishing? You can't operate a motorized boat, but what about a row boat? Still a DUI?
    I can't speak to the differentiation between types of watercraft, but I am unaware of any law or regulation that would prohibit you from consuming as much alcohol as you wished "while fishing" from a shore, dock, etc. Depending on the location, public drunkenness, etc. may come into play, but on your own property for example, I would think you would be free to drink as much as you wished.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    I can't speak to the differentiation between types of watercraft, but I am unaware of any law or regulation that would prohibit you from consuming as much alcohol as you wished "while fishing" from a shore, dock, etc. Depending on the location, public drunkenness, etc. may come into play, but on your own property for example, I would think you would be free to drink as much as you wished.
    Going to have to agree here. Just watch where your drinking at - if its a local lake chances are alcohol is prohibited. If your at a buddies who owns a stretch on the river or who has a private pond you should be in the clear.

(Berks County)

The handbook doesn't say it's illegal to consume while boating, it says it's illegal to operate a boat while under the influence, which is .08%, just like for driving.

http://fishandboat.com/boatcrs/03boa...ok/safety3.htm

3 12 oz cans of beer makes absolutely no sense. What is abv of Coors Lite?, something like 4%. vs. a microbrew that is 9%. That's twice as potent. If he has a source, I'd like to see it.

(Allegheny County)

I always thought it mandatory TO drink while fishing. As a matter of fact, I don't think I've fished without drinking in.... oh.... 20 years or so.

Zombie Response Team SECTOR 4 Ground assault unit
    "Nothing defuses people like crazy." ~ Lycanthrope

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by bronco View Post
    The handbook doesn't say it's illegal to consume while boating, it says it's illegal to operate a boat while under the influence, which is .08%, just like for driving.

http://fishandboat.com/boatcrs/03boa...ok/safety3.htm
    We looked it up and that's what we came up with. I wonder if there is an exception for non-motorized. I'm assuming there isn't, because it wasn't written into the regulation. I told him to err on the side of caution and just don't drink while kayaking.

Quote Originally Posted by bronco View Post
    3 12 oz cans of beer makes absolutely no sense. What is abv of Coors Lite?, something like 4%. vs. a microbrew that is 9%. That's twice as potent. If he has a source, I'd like to see it.
    The place he goes to rent his kayak from. They are telling people it's legal to consume alcohol and operate a kayak. Do kayaks not classify as boats/watercrafts? I would assume they do. I told him those people are full of shit, and they should cite the regulations. Also, if he gets caught and charged, they aren't responsible, and he is the one who will be fucked, not them.

(Berks County)

(Berks County)

We looked it up and that's what we came up with. I wonder if there is an exception for non-motorized. I'm assuming there isn't, because it wasn't written into the regulation. I told him to err on the side of caution and just don't drink while kayaking.

The place he goes to rent his kayak from. They are telling people it's legal to consume alcohol and operate a kayak. Do kayaks not classify as boats/watercrafts? I would assume they do. I told him those people are full of shit, and they should cite the regulations. Also, if he gets caught and charged, they aren't responsible, and he is the one who will be fucked, not them.
    I'm not sure we're on the same page. The way I read it, he can consume while paddleing a kayak (which is operating a boat). He just can't allow his blood alcohol level to go above .08%.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast