Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Do you take your shot gun to the range?

when i first bought my 870 tac i did. what ammo do you usually use? 00? slugs?

Also, where do you go for good good prices on 12g ammo?

thx

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Do you take your shot gun to the range?

I bought a SxS coach gun a few months back and haven't shot it yet. I haven't found a range that'll let you shoot shot at targets and didn't want to risk the SGL's trap range. I'll probably be posting it for sale later tonight if anyone is interested.

In my limited experience buying 12 gauge ammo, I found nowhere that was cheap unless you're buying birdshot.

(Franklin County)

Wally World. Hooray for Wallly World!!!

Seriously...they have the 15 round value pack remington 00 buck. It is pretty reasonable. They also have value packs of slugs too if i remember correctly.

What do you want to use your shotgun for? That will help what kind of shells to point you towards.

In general, WalMart has the best prices from what I have seen, but I generally only shoot birdshot (for clay target). Birdshot is also much cheaper than any other kind of shotgun shells, especially if you buy in bulk (a pallet or more at a time).

If you haven't already, try clay target (skeet/trap/sporting clays), it's a LOT of fun, and slightly more challenging than blasting stationary targets from a standing position .

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by NickC. View Post
    when i first bought my 870 tac i did. what ammo do you usually use? 00? slugs?

Also, where do you go for good good prices on 12g ammo?
    I just purchased an 870 Tactical (great gun!) and I have used it at a local range. However in my limited experience it seems hard to find ranges that accept shotties. I just take it out to a remote dump in the woods in Washington Twp where there is a nice dirt backstop and fire away.

Seems difficult to find cheap 12g ammo (besides birdshot, which is only like $5 for a box of 25 slugs at Walmart). Buck and slugs end up being about $1 each. Here is a link to the cheapest buck I could find online, at only about 50 cents each, plus shipping:

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/prod...ducts_id=89132

(Luzerne County)

If you haven't already, try clay target (skeet/trap/sporting clays), it's a LOT of fun, and slightly more challenging than blasting stationary targets from a standing position .
    Absolutely. And it's addictive.
    Clay shooting gives you something that you can use your shotgun for.....even if you end up with a buddy, shooting at hand thrown clays.
    Tactical shotguns are impressive.....but.....shooting buckshot and slugs gets expensive real fast. And - for me at least - not very satisfying; after all, what do you shoot at? Not accurate enough for serious paper shooting and blasting tin cans and water bottles at a dollar per trigger pull gets old fast. TCL SGs are good for war; if you are not going to war, buy a regular pumpgun (an 870, a Mossberg, a used Ithaca 37), birdshot, a case of clays and a handthrower (( or a Trius foot trap). Great fun.
    Pete
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

(Northumberland County)

Walmart is where i get most of my ammo, i only order the JHP online cuz the shipping is getting ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D. View Post
    Absolutely. And it's addictive. ...
    ... if you are not going to war, buy a regular pumpgun (an 870, a Mossberg, a used Ithaca 37), birdshot, a case of clays and a handthrower (( or a Trius foot trap). Great fun.
    Pete
    It definitely is addicting. It's strongly recommend joining a clay target team or participating in a league if possible. It's fun, and you will learn a LOT from the other guys and gals.

(Erie County)

Smile Re: Do you take your shot gun to the range?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D. View Post
    Absolutely. And it's addictive. . . Great fun.
    Honestly I already have a blast just shooting inanimate targets- but as I've read numerous members praising clay target shooting, I definitely intend to try it! Is an automated launcher worth it? Can a friend throw a target far enough?

Also, are there ranges that allow clay target shooting? I've been shooting out in the woods in a local township that allows it and always into a huge dirt backstop to ensure safety. If you are pointing the gun up in the air tracking a moving target how can you be sure where your 300+ birdshot pellets are going? Is it just a matter of being "pretty damn sure" there's "nothing in the woods out there" kinda thing? Just seems a smidgen risky.

Hitting a moving clay target can be tough from any distance. Try it and you’ll like it. Local SGL closed the range at French Creek. Shoot & enjoy. And be safe.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast