Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Monroe County)

Default Re: First Timer/Home Defense Shotgun

Quote Originally Posted by Roland of Gilead View Post
    I go with #4 buck for my HD shotgun. As far as the reduced recoil stuff goes, be careful of the shorter 2" shells that some folks try to use to lower the recoil. I had a shop tell me they're great, no problems, etc., but my experience was that they tend to flip around as they're getting loaded into the chamber, especially if you're cycling rapidly.

This happened with a 3" chamber, don't know if it happens w/ 2.75" chambers also. YMMV
    Are those the mini shells? I saw them at the last gun show and wondered if they would work in a standard 2 3/4 and 3" chambers.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by jcabin View Post
    Are those the mini shells? I saw them at the last gun show and wondered if they would work in a standard 2 3/4 and 3" chambers.
    I've seen "mini shells" listed as 1.75" length, which I would guess would cycle even worse than the 2" shells. My Maverick has the extended mag tube, so I have no reason to use shorter shells to get the extra capacity.

Oh yeah, to the OP, you want to be looking at an 18 or 20 inch barrel for HD; maneuvering through a house with a full length barrel would be a major hassle.
    Blessed are they who, faced with danger, think only of the front sight. -- Jeff Cooper

I'll probably end up going w/ 2 3/4" shells, thanks for the warning, I wouldn't want to jam it up!

Also, would I just be safer going w/ like a 3" magnum shell? Or is that something only Hollywood does and will prove more of a detriment to a shotgun noob such as myself?

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatShank View Post
    I'll probably end up going w/ 2 3/4" shells, thanks for the warning, I wouldn't want to jam it up!

Also, would I just be safer going w/ like a 3" magnum shell? Or is that something only Hollywood does and will prove more of a detriment to a shotgun noob such as myself?
    The shorter shells are a bit less expensive. With longer shells you will also reduce your capacity. Not every jump in size comes with a loss of capacity, but most do. I have cycled a lot of the extremely short shells in my Mossberg 500 without problems with the idea of keeping those in it, as it increases capacity to 7 or 8 from 6. I still haven't run enough of them to feel confident, though, when I know it will work with 2-3/4" shells.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatShank View Post

Start off with bird shot at the range, it's relatively low recoil compared to standard 00 buck and will let you get acquainted with the weapon. Step it up from there and start using 00 buck, testing out different loads and checking your patterns at different lengths. A standard 00 buck is going to hold a nice group at 10 yards, but once you push out from there the pellets start to spread out dramatically. Ultimately since this is a HD shotgun and you don't think you will be shooting further than 5-10 yards, patterning isn't really essential but it's still good to know what your shotgun is capable of, and will shake the hollywood theories you might have. The truth is that your shotgun is going to be accurate, and won't kill everyone in the room with one pull of the trigger.

2 and 3/4" and 3" are both fine. I keep 3" 00 buck in my shotgun, but that's just my preference. 3" 00 buck has some seriously nasty recoil, so I wouldn't recommend it unless you're atleast familiar with the shotgun. It won't make a difference what ammo you have if you can't consistently and accurately hit your mark. I suggest you get some time in with whatever shotgun you buy, and if you can, take a shotgun course with professional trainers.
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by electronics View Post
    The shorter shells are a bit less expensive. With longer shells you will also reduce your capacity. Not every jump in size comes with a loss of capacity, but most do. I have cycled a lot of the extremely short shells in my Mossberg 500 without problems with the idea of keeping those in it, as it increases capacity to 7 or 8 from 6. I still haven't run enough of them to feel confident, though, when I know it will work with 2-3/4" shells.
    When it comes to self defense you can't let price dictate what you buy. IMO I wouldn't use the 2" and 1 3/4" shells unless the shotgun was specifically chambered for them. I have no experience with that ammunition, but the lack of popularity in those rounds within the self-defense realm says something significant.

Quote Originally Posted by jcabin View Post
    When it comes to self defense you can't let price dictate what you buy. IMO I wouldn't use the 2" and 1 3/4" shells unless the shotgun was specifically chambered for them. I have no experience with that ammunition, but the lack of popularity in those rounds within the self-defense realm says something significant.
    Ah, yeah, was meaning the 2-3/4" vs 3" shells. A short shotgun shell is still going to do quite a bit of damage to an intruder, so if your gun can handle them why not? Of course, the extremely short shells are a bit more than 2-3/4" shells that I've seen, I guess because they are more of a specialty item.

(Berks County)

Just a few additonal ramblings......

Having owned a Remington 870, a Mossberg 500 and a Benelli M1 Super 90 and now back to a Remington 870, I would stick with the Remington.

As far as adding pistol grips or folding stocks to a shotgun, that would be a no go for me. Pistol grips just make the recoil much harder to deal with and a folding stock does not give you any advantages in a home defence situation.

As far as using 00 buck for home defense or slugs again that would be a no go. They have too much penetration and pose a hazard to not only the people next door, but also people in the ajoining rooms. Number 4 buck is a good cholce as well at Number 7 shot. You will be at close distance so you will not notice the shot shells expanding like they do at distance.

As far as barrel lenght, not knowing NY state laws, as close to 18 inches will work for home defense. Anything longer and now you have issues in clearing rooms without having the barrel grabbed from you and the shotgun taken from you by a potential bad guy.

A weapon mounted light may be a good accessory, but dont go cheap here. A more visible front sight would be a better option.

As Jcabin said eariler, get some training on how to best use the shotgun in your home.

Keep it simple at first and then add what you find YOUR situation needs as you get trained in the use of the shotgun.
    gotta love her ;)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123