Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Not sure I like my AR

Title says it. I have a nice AR, Colt 6920. Bought it new near the end of the year. Never had time to really mess with it much until recently. Just not sure I like it. The stock, fully extended just doesn't seem long enough for a comfortable mounting. The sights (standard flippable peep and post) do not work as well as I had thought they would with my declining eyesight. It functions great and I don't have a real problem with the 5.56 round. It just doesn't feel right to me and I am not shooting it as well as I had hoped to. This is the first non-hunting rifle I have owned. I bought it for defensive/SHTF purposes. I am attracted to the manuverability and fire capacity of the rifle, but over all it is not making me happy. Any suggestions, or have I made a $1200 mistake? I don't have any desire for optic sights, always liked standard iron. Maybe I would be better off selling it and going with a ranch rifle set up, or something more like the A2, rather than the M4 style. Thoughts?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Not sure I like my AR

i bought two ar's last year. I already owned two Sig 556's but I thought it would be nice to have a couple of ar's. I shot them both one time and gave them to my Grandson because they just didn't feel right to me.

(Monroe County)

My advice is to get some professional training and you will watch all your issues disappear.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Northampton County)

Get a buddy with a real AR rifle with real iron sights and try it out.

Since you don't like what you've seen from the AR so far, I certainly wouldn't suggest buying another style to see if it is better for you.

As for the stock length (and therefore length of pull), AR carbines should be shot with your trunk facing forward. Not from a bladed stance like a hunting rifle. Their advantages are for short range and rapid shots.

(Chester County)

I got rid of my flip-up MI rear sight, replacing it with the carry handle/(dual) aperture "fixed" rear sight; I like that better. You might too.

Firstly, you really should shoot an AR "NTCH" if you're using a standard peep rear sight. Whatever you can do to get yourself so comfortably situated will contribute to accuracy, even if you have indicated that it doesn't feel like the LOP is quite long enough. Changing out the front sight for a white-stripe tritium from XS will definitely make the front "pop" for you.

(Monroe County)

Not sure I like my AR
    so buy an AK >.>
    ONE TO THE HEAD!!!!

(Clinton County)

Quote Originally Posted by MischaBurns View Post
    so buy an AK >.>
    You can get 2 Ak's for what you paid for the AR!

(Lycoming County)

I don't think you'll be happy with the accuracy from a ranch rifle either.

Quote Originally Posted by hoytec12 View Post
    I don't think you'll be happy with the accuracy from a ranch rifle either.
    Oh, I didn't mean to imply the rifle is not accurate. It is accurate beyound my ability, I am sure. I have it zero'd in, and it will put the bullets where I want them, if I concentrate, it just doesn't do so as comfortably or as quickly as I had imagined it would. The rifle functions very well, it just isn't as natural to shoot for me, as I would have hoped. I will spend more time with it and see if things improve. I am not accustomed to apeture sights, so that may be a large part of the eye issue. the LOP issue, I don't really know what to do about. Get used to it, I guess!

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast