Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Shoot my Ruger Straight????

Dumb title, but I was reading through some of the new gun pics threads and it made me think about my P944th from Ruger chambered in 40 S&W. My problem is that it doesnt shoot very straight. From about 20 feet out, it isnt the greatest gun I have shot, and even closer than 20 feet, it just isnt the most accurate gun I have ever shot. Any revolver is better, my G19 is straighter even out to 50 yards, and of course my Grand Raptor is straight as an arrow, so what can I do to straighten out my Ruger.

I really love the look, feel, weight, and the way it fits in my hand, but I have to admit that i havent been shooting it recently because of accuracy. Give me some ideas,,,,, sites, ammo, what is it?
    "Our government has no power except that granted it by the people."

President Ronald Reagan

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: Shoot my Ruger Straight????

It's a Ruger auto.

Extremely reliably........as much as Glock in my experience....maybe better. They just lockup up loose and most Ruger auto's aren't going to be accurate at long ranges. For combat ranges, however, they tend to be just fine.

Lycanp89thrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

I have a ruger p90 that continues to shoot very well to this day
    I once had a ruger wheelgun that did not shoot good at all , to be honest it was a disgrace.,horrible,perhaps even an outrage. For the longest time I complained to folks when ever I got the chance , I had been told repeatedly by these folks to send it back to ruger , well I couldn't be bothered , until one day much much MUCH later I figured what the heck and returned it , .... damned if they didn't do "something" to it , free of charge no less.
    I often wish I had done it sooner

(Centre County)

I have a Ruger P90 and it shoots like a house afire, extremely accurate from 7-50 yds. It can shoot better than I can hold.

One suggestion, have someone else shoot it, just to make sure it isn't something you may be doing. If it shoots bad for 2 people give Ruger a call and explain what is going on. There is a good possibility that they may offer to send you the paperwork to send it to them free of charge for evaluation/repair. I have never had anything but good customer service from them, although I have never had to send a gun back.

I currently own 8 Rugers (revolvers, pistols, rifles, and a shotgun) and have probably owned 20 in the last 30 years and have been lucky enough to never had any problems with any of them.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Delaware County)

I have a P-90 and it is very accurate. If it were me I would do two things in this order:

First, I would have someone else shot it and see what their results are. Please understand that this is not a shot at you. Intentionally said if it were me. The Ruger's have a long trigger pull and most of not all of the other excellent handguns that you mentioned were SA or Glock which of course are very different trigger pulls. Just possibly some very small technique issue could be giving you a little trouble.

If the issue was still not resolved I would call Ruger customer service. I will bet you that they will make you a happy Ruger owner.

Good luck and let us know how it works out for you.

+1 on the Ruger customer service. Don't be hesitant to give them a call.
    Jules

(York County)

Just cause Ruger doesn't offer a warranty doesn't mean they don't stand by their products.

I bought a used Ruger revolver in part because I was aware of Ruger's reputation for service. As long as you've not done something horrendous or damaged the firearm due to heavy custom mods. They pretty much fix it for free, you just have to ship it. (And I've even heard of people who modded their Rugers and Ruger still serviced them.)

If it's not performing up to snuff. Send it to Ruger. What do you have to lose (besides postage and a few weeks.) And you may gain an almost entirely new gun performance wise.

BTW... the 6" stainless steel Ruger GP100 .357 I picked up used for $350 seems to fire with out a hitch so far. So looks like I don't need to take Ruger up on their "no warranty warranty"

(Delaware County)

Also, I should have mentioned this in my previous post. There is a great group of folks on the Ruger forum at www.rugerforum.com They really love Ruger firearms (for the most part) and you'll get answers from a lot of experienced Ruger owners.

Good luck.

(Northampton County)

to all of you, thank you very much for the advice. I dont take offense to having someone else try to shoot, because everyone shoots differently, and it could be me, so I will do that and give it a try.

Thanks alot
    "Our government has no power except that granted it by the people."

President Ronald Reagan

(Carbon County)

I have a P944 and I had the same problem. Purchased it used and it was my first handgun. At first I thought it was me, which it was the first few times I shot it. After a couple months though with only minor improvement I started to question if the gun was at fault. Well I purchased a new P95 and shot that much, much better than the P944 but I still wasn't sure if the P944 was the problem or me. I had always heard that .40 is a snappy caliber so maybe I wasn't professional enough to shoot it. I ended up buying an Olympic Arms replacement barrel and the P944 is a tack driver now, I got the barrel cheap off ebay, $89 new if I remember right. Now I am looking for a .357 Sig replacement barrel for my P944.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast