Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Visitor OC...

Cool Visitor OC...

This is a stupid question because I should know the answer and don't. I got a permit for CC in Pa. back in 1974. Have moved to Fl. and have a CC here. In Fl. we cannot OC. Can I OC when visiting Pa? I haven't OC'd in about 30 years but would give it a shot when visiting up there if legal.
    US Army 1965-1971

(Chester County)

Default Re: Visitor OC...

Quote Originally Posted by ZO6Vettever View Post
    This is a stupid question because I should know the answer and don't. I got a permit for CC in Pa. back in 1974. Have moved to Fl. and have a CC here. In Fl. we cannot OC. Can I OC when visiting Pa? I haven't OC'd in about 30 years but would give it a shot when visiting up there if legal.
    IANAL, but OC is legal in PA without a license/out of state permit (Except in Philly County!). You just cannot transport it in your vehicle loaded unless you have your PA LTCF or an out of state permit that reciprocates to PA, which FL does. If your CC permit in FL is still good, you should be able to CC/OC no problem in PA.

(Clinton County)

OC is legal in PA. PA does honor the Florida license

States that PA honors
    Pennsylvania AK*, AR, AZ, CO, FL, GA, ID, IN, KY, LA, MI, MO, MT, NC, ND, NH, OK, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, VT*, WV, WY

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USReciprocity.pdf

Off limits places would be-

* ANY Court facility
    * ANY Federal Building (Unless Authorized)
    * State Parks (Law enforcement and license holders exempt)
    * Detention Facilities (Adult & Juvenile)
    * Air Carrier Airport Terminals (secure areas only, common areas OK)
    * Cities of the first class unless you hold a valid LTCF
    * Elementary and secondary schools. Federal law prohibits carry within 1000 feet of a school but resident carry license holders are excepted from the law. Pa law generally prohibits carry on school grounds. However, the statute allows for "a defense that the weapon is possessed and used in conjunction with a lawful supervised school activity or course or is possessed for other lawful purpose." Title 18, §912

http://paopencarry.org/pa-open-carry-off-limits

(Montgomery County)

Yup, your Florida permit is good here. You can CC, OC, and transport your firearm in a vehicle.

You may want to print this out and study up. Pretty well covers what you can and can't do. Wouldn't be a bad idea to carry one with you while you're here just in case you get in a situation.

PennsylvaniaGunRights.pdf
    The right to bear arms isn't for hunting bear. Subliminal Messages

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by PAFirefighter11 View Post
    IANAL, but OC is legal in PA without a license/out of state permit (Except in Philly County!). You just cannot transport it in your vehicle loaded unless you have your PA LTCF or an out of state permit that reciprocates to PA, which FL does. If your CC permit in FL is still good, you should be able to CC/OC no problem in PA.

You cannot possess it in a vehicle (loaded or unloaded) unless you have a license from any state - regrardless if that state is reciprocated or not.

18 Pa CSA 6106(b)(11) Any person while carrying a firearm in any vehicle, which person possesses a valid and lawfully issued license for that firearm which has been issued under the laws of the United States or any other state.
    If you have a non-reciprocated license, you can transport it in the vehicle but must OC when outside the vehicle - except Philly which requires a reciprocated license to CC or OC.

You cannot CC with a non-reciprocated license but can with a reciprocated license.

Arguably you cannot carry in a Federal Gun Free School Zone without an in-state license.

FL is a reciprocated license in Pa.
    Last edited by tl_3237; July 16th, 2010 at 02:47 PM.
    IANAL

Quote Originally Posted by ZO6Vettever View Post
    You can open carry on your property.

Smile Re: Visitor OC...

Quote Originally Posted by PAFirefighter11 View Post
    Thanks, that's what I thought just couldn't remember that far back. I did have a Pa LTCF but did OC every once in a while. Wife and I do have valid Fl CCW's. But OC is a no-no here. Hard to believe as Fl. is very much pro carry. I'll be spending most time in Bucks County and may OC if I get the itch. I don't really care to go to Philly although born and raised at K&A. I Google maped my old "hood" as it is probably known now and don't wish to go there. Middle of the night watching "Cops" the police car radio chirps "drug deal in progress 1800 E. Wishart. I hit the record on the DVR and watched it about a hundred times. Got a little chocked up lookin' at the basement windows my Dad and I put in back in 1968 and the steps we spent many evenings chattin' with neighbors but, sadly it ain't the same place.
    US Army 1965-1971

Cool Re: Visitor OC...

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasJ View Post
    You can open carry on your property.
    I recently bought a lake house in Deltona and spend 1 week a month there. I ride the lawn tractor OC. Let any wise assed wannabe's know don't F with this old SOB! Here in Key West my property is so small I could be off it and not know it! We have been in Key West about 33 years, now retired it's a bit pricey for us and we are more than ready to move. It's been nice, Ocean front, beautiful sunsets with cocktails in the pool but it's over. We don't go downtown any more after dark (wannabe mugging regularly) and can't carry in the bars where the bad assed rock and roll is playin'. (Besides, we have a hard time stayin' awake that late!) The lake house is great, big lake (great bass fishin'), 1/2 acre compared with our 40x85 oceanfront Key West house. Lot's of shopping, eatery's, gun ranges and good medical care for us old farts. I miss spring, summer and fall in Bucks County but not the winters!
    US Army 1965-1971