Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default PA to NJ Rifle Transportation Q's

Please excuse me if this thread has been run before. I ran a search and could not find it..

A buddy of mine in Jersey wants me to come over to go bang bang.. Well of course I want to bring mine over too..

From what I gather the federal law allows carry "through" a state if traveling, however in truth this is a purposeful trip only to go shooting.

If there are any helpful links that I can read I would appreciate it.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: PA to NJ Rifle Transportation Q's

I know that you aren't allowed to have any magazines that hold over 16 rounds, and there is a pretty inclusive list of guns that fall under their "assault weapons" ban.

This is all I could find right now http://www.state.nj.us/lps/dcj/agguide/assltf.htm

Have your friend come to free America and shoot. A lot less hassle

(Monroe County)

Explain that practically ALL the firearms you own are illegal in NJ, and it would be much easier if he could just come here to go shooting.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Chester County)

He is an old man w/ a family and works similar hours.. I have been trying to get him to come out for a while now. You are right though Cabin.. it makes 100x more sense to have him come over..

(Monroe County)

The only thing I can think of that's jersey legal off the top of my head is a standard pump action hunting shotgun. Then again, there are probably even more stipulations, like it has to be plugged to a 3 capacity, barrel length. I don't know, just taking a guess. You need find out for certain before you cross the border though.

ETA: I don't know if it's even legal to just go target shooting in new jersey, from PA. It might have to be an actual shooting competition/sport. Just an after thought.
    Last edited by jcabin; July 16th, 2010 at 01:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

Quote Originally Posted by P7hk9 View Post
    I know that you aren't allowed to have any magazines that hold over 16 rounds, and there is a pretty inclusive list of guns that fall under their "assault weapons" ban.

This is all I could find right now http://www.state.nj.us/lps/dcj/agguide/assltf.htm

Have your friend come to free America and shoot. A lot less hassle
    15 rounds, not 16.

FYI, most if not all hunting arms will be legal here. the 3 round cap is for when you are hunting. When you get into "assault" type firearms is when it gets gritty. Just follow the old federal AWB (same thing)

(Delaware County)

Don't talk to police.
    Soldats ! Faites votre devoir ! Droit au cœur mais épargnez le visage. Feu !

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by svltrack View Post
    Please excuse me if this thread has been run before. I ran a search and could not find it..

A buddy of mine in Jersey wants me to come over to go bang bang.. Well of course I want to bring mine over too..

From what I gather the federal law allows carry "through" a state if traveling, however in truth this is a purposeful trip only to go shooting.

If there are any helpful links that I can read I would appreciate it.
    As others have said and assuming your rifle and mag capacity is NJ legal -

1. the Federal law for carry 'through', ie 18 USC 926A, does NOT apply in this instance since NJ is not an intervening state in the trip but instead is the DESTINATION/ORIGIN.

2. provided you travel directly to and from the range you are exempted from the NJ prohibition per:
    NJSA 2C:39-6f. Nothing in subsections b., c. and d. of N.J.S.2C:39-5 shall be construed to prevent:
    (3)A person transporting any firearm or knife while traveling:
    (b)Directly to or from any target range, or other authorized place for the purpose of practice, match, target, trap or skeet shooting exhibitions, provided in all cases that during the course of the travel all firearms are carried in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section and the person has complied with all the provisions and requirements of Title 23 of the Revised Statutes and any amendments thereto and all rules and regulations promulgated thereunder;
    3. you MUST transport the rifle as follows:

NJSA 2C:39-6g:
    "All weapons being transported under paragraph (2) of subsection b., subsection e., or paragraph (1) or (3) of subsection f. of this section shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances."
    4. NJ does not define the 'place' from/to which when travelling 'directy' to/from the range. The most likely interpretation is your home. If you stop at your guest's home to visit that could arguably nullify the exemption and make your trip illegal and potentially a felony.

You can dis-regard all of these consideration IF you have an NJFID.
    Last edited by tl_3237; July 16th, 2010 at 02:35 PM.
    IANAL