Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Hypothetical armed robbery "what would you do"

Ok, so your in the classic "dark alleyway" alone, and a lone actor holds you at gunpoint and demands wallet/valuables. So I understand at this point, obviously dont do anything but comply. So you throw your wallet somewhere around him (never hand it to them). The guy is distracted for a moment picking it up. Do you draw and threaten? draw and fire? run? I guess its gray for me because its involving both you and property, and the unpredictability of the situation (he could pick up wallet and shoot you anyways, or shoot you if you run, or on the other hand just take your wallet and run etc).

So... what would ya do?

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Hypothetical armed robbery "what would you do"

Id toss my wallet behinde him and draw my G19 to his back and demand he surrender his weapon and my wallet.
    a. If he runs, I'd have no choice but to allow him to flee.
    b. If he surrenders I would stand between him and his weapon, but in no way attempt to detain him as I dialed 911.
    c. If he moves to face me I'd blow a hole in the front of him. He was armed, threatening and facing me.

Quote Originally Posted by Glennp View Post
    Ok, so your in the classic "dark alleyway" alone, and a lone actor holds you at gunpoint and demands wallet/valuables. So I understand at this point, obviously dont do anything but comply. So you throw your wallet somewhere around him (never hand it to them). The guy is distracted for a moment picking it up. Do you draw and threaten? draw and fire? run? I guess its gray for me because its involving both you and property, and the unpredictability of the situation (he could pick up wallet and shoot you anyways, or shoot you if you run, or on the other hand just take your wallet and run etc).

So... what would ya do?
    i wouldn't let someone get the drop on me in a dark alley (odds are i wouldn't even be in a dark alley). what were you doing with this dude, alone, in a dark alley? are you on your knees, or standing? is your back to him?

let's be honest, you can't predict this sort of hypo. if he has a gun drawn on me i'm treating that as the use of deadly force and i'm going to kill him if i can, unless he backs off before i get the chance. if the opportunity presents itself i'm just going to shoot him center mass, and then in the face. you can't predict if the opportunity will present itself.

some criminals might shoot you just for tossing your wallet. odds are if it's that dark i'd draw my tcp instead of my wallet, OR i'd give him my wallet and then if he continued to threaten me i'd tell him i have more money and start pleading as i dig into my pocket and draw tcp. if i draw, i'm shooting. especially at close range i'm not going to have a standoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Glennp View Post

So... what would ya do?
    Way too many variables to define what action should be taken in such a scenerio. Each event is unique and an individual's reaction is going to be based on a lot of information in a short amount of time. If your going to take an offensive stance you have to be ready to act at the right time. And discern if any action should be taken when the opportunity arrives. Yes, throwing your money or wallet on the ground is a viable tactic, but then again, maybe not. It might cause anger from your attacker who could opt to shoot you before retrieving your items. Another deversionary tactic is toss coins in their face.....followed immediately by your counterattack. Another thing to think about is your reaction itself to being accosted. If it's never happened to you, you probably have no idea of how you will react. There is never a set way to engage in a robbery. You have to read the signs, read them fast and be ready and able to counter.....or capitulate.

I can certainly understand wanting to fight back. But sometimes it's the worst thing you can do. And sometimes it's the only thing you can do...or die. But no two events are the same, so no set counter to it can be established. You have to read the signs, hope you got it right and let training/practice take over.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

Subtle movements by the BG, voice inflection, and gut feeling come into play. Play it smart and cool but open your mind up and get out of the deadly tunnel. Scan your surroundings thinking about what you could dive behind to avoid gunfire. How many exits do you have? What is he on? Drunk or high might keep him in the fight long enough to hurt you even if you draw and fire on him. Is there really only one BG? Or is there a car 20 feet away with some well seasoned stick up men? You just gotta play it out sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueGunGuy View Post
    i wouldn't let someone get the drop on me in a dark alley (odds are i wouldn't even be in a dark alley). what were you doing with this dude, alone, in a dark alley? are you on your knees, or standing? is your back to him?

let's be honest, you can't predict this sort of hypo. if he has a gun drawn on me i'm treating that as the use of deadly force and i'm going to kill him if i can, unless he backs off before i get the chance. if the opportunity presents itself i'm just going to shoot him center mass, and then in the face. you can't predict if the opportunity will present itself.

some criminals might shoot you just for tossing your wallet. odds are if it's that dark i'd draw my tcp instead of my wallet, OR i'd give him my wallet and then if he continued to threaten me i'd tell him i have more money and start pleading as i dig into my pocket and draw tcp. if i draw, i'm shooting. especially at close range i'm not going to have a standoff.
    This is one reason I carry a small revolver in my pocket. If it comes to that decision I have the option of "Here, I have more money you can take" as I draw. At that point it's probably going to be fired. That would depend on his weapon and proximity. If able, I'll allow him to leave and then call the police. Breaking off contact is the wisest move you can make in such a situation.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

Nobody is going to get the draw on someone who has a gun pointed at you. You'd have to be one of those quick draw guys they show on TV. Probably best not to get into that situation "hypothetical" or not.
    The answer to a fool is silence.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueGunGuy View Post
    ... if he has a gun drawn on me i'm treating that as the use of deadly force and i'm going to kill him if i can, unless he backs off before i get the chance.
    Before someone else gets upset by that line... you would shoot to stop the threat...not shoot to kill

The 'Burg-Northern Berks County, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)

Distract- draw and dump the mag into him........no warnings!

(Montgomery County)

That or simply pull out your sidearm instead of your wallet.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast