Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default CAN YOU ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS

My friend/business partner from NYC visits me about once a month.
    Last time he was here we went to the range. I carried my .38 and the .9mm was in my range bag. We put my range bag in HIS trunk, and off to the range we went.
    My questions are: Can MY guns/ammo go in the trunk of HIS car legally? If he was to get pulled over for whatever reason, can he or me get in trouble for having MY guns in HIS trunk? Should I carry MY range bag on my lap, or in the car with me? Can he shoot MY guns at the range with me legally? Can the guns be confiscated for any reason?
    Just a few questions I would like answered.
    I do have my PA LTCF. Or should we just take my car when we are going shooting to save any aggravation?
    Answers to these few question will help me a great deal in the future. Any advice you can give is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks everybody,
    Michele

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: CAN YOU ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS

It sounds to me as if you are perfectly fine as long as you are in PA, not NY.

Thanks.
    Thats what I thought, but I wanted to be sure.
    We were both curious about this.

(Westmoreland County)

I'm no expert, but the way I understand it is that you can have a gun concealed on or near your person...so as long as you are in PA you should be alright.

New AR15 Forum! www.AlphaRomeo15.org All AR, No Attitude!

(Snyder County)

Okay, lets break this down. I hope I don't mess anything up. If I do, I am sure I will be corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    Can MY guns/ammo go in the trunk of HIS car legally?
    It doesn't matter if they are his guns, your guns, where he is from, or if he has his LTCF. If the guns are being transported properly (not loaded in separate cases from the ammo), he can transport them to and from the range.

This is provided that he is of age and can legally purchase and own firearms in this state. You can't go letting someone under 18 or a violent criminal in control of your guns. (under 18 w/o your supervision)

If he was to get pulled over for whatever reason, can he or me get in trouble for having MY guns in HIS trunk?
    Again, as long as they are being transported properly, you cannot get in trouble for anything.

Should I carry MY range bag on my lap, or in the car with me?
    Not needed....see above

Can he shoot MY guns at the range with me legally?
    Yes, he can shoot your guns with you at the range if he wants. There is nothing that is needed to shoot your guns with or without you. You just cannot provide someone guns and ammo that cannot legally purchase them or have possession of them.

Can the guns be confiscated for any reason?
    There is no *legal*reason they can be confiscated if you follow the law. But as been shown in other threads, some LEO think they know the law better and can do what they please.

Just a few questions I would like answered.
    I do have my PA LTCF. Or should we just take my car when we are going shooting to save any aggravation?
    Again, I don't think there is any need

Answers to these few question will help me a great deal in the future. Any advice you can give is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks everybody,
    Michele
    Hope this helps.

Thanks Zef.
    I don't have any reason to be paranoid anymore.
    I just have to make sure that my ammo and gun are separate from each other (no loaded mags or guns) unless of course we are in MY car.

(Delaware County)

One book every gun owner should have is the Traveler's Guide to the Firearm Laws of the Fifty States, by J. Scott Kappas. It summarizes everything you need to know about the law regarding travelling with firearms, in every state of the US. Worth its weight in gold, and only $13.95 at Amazon.com. Covers locked/unlocked storage, separation of guns and ammo, required open display/concealment, any requirement that guns be disassembled for transport, permits required, the whole bit.
    Last edited by Dave D.; October 17th, 2007 at 12:15 PM.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    Thanks Zef.
    I don't have any reason to be paranoid anymore.
    I just have to make sure that my ammo and gun are separate from each other (no loaded mags or guns) unless of course we are in MY car.
    If you have your ltcf you can have a loaded weapon near you. Why does it matter if it is not in your car as long as you are with it?

(Snyder County)

Quote Originally Posted by brewguy View Post
    If you have your ltcf you can have a loaded weapon near you. Why does it matter if it is not in your car as long as you are with it?

Not sure on this, but I think that if Michele's friend is driving the car, and has a loaded firearm in it, she needs to be in control of said firearm. If it is your own car, then that is an extension of you and is okay. But in a vehicle that is owned and operated by someone without a LTCF, I would think that the loaded firearm needs to be in direct control of someone with a LTCF.

Again, not sure on the exact intricacies of the law on this one. Hopefully someone that knows better can step in.

(Bucks County)

they can't search your trunk without your permission or unless they find some contraband in plain sight in your vehicle. i never let them search my trunk as it's a violation of my privacy........... enough said............
    Retired LEO, FFL Holder

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast