Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving to PA

Default Moving to PA

Hello

Im currently considering moving to PA. Im wondering if someone can point me to resources that will help inform me concerning PA conceal carry laws. I have read PFOA's website but I like to be sure of everything I can. Also I was wondering if there is protection for chp holders against your name and address being published by newspapers and such. Any information would be great. Thanks

LG

Default Re: Moving to PA

Quote Originally Posted by neinLG View Post
    Hello

Im currently considering moving to PA. Im wondering if someone can point me to resources that will help inform me concerning PA conceal carry laws. I have read PFOA's website but I like to be sure of everything I can. Also I was wondering if there is protection for chp holders against your name and address being published by newspapers and such. Any information would be great. Thanks

LG

Sort of depends on what county you move to. Here is a list of counties in PA, click the name of the county and it will give you the LTCF information http://www.pafoa.org/counties/.

Probably be either washington county or Allegheny. I ve been reluctant to speak to state police or others. Ive called about VA and PA reciprocity recognition just to be sure and they told me not even to bother. Carrying by out of staters isnt allowed. So ive just been trying to do my reading from law resources (basically from the horses mouth), I dont waste another thirty minutes of my time for wrong answers.

Probably be either washington county or Allegheny. I ve been reluctant to speak to state police or others. Ive called about VA and PA reciprocity recognition just to be sure and they told me not even to bother. Carrying by out of staters isnt allowed. So ive just been trying to do my reading from law resources (basically from the horses mouth), I dont waste another thirty minutes of my time for wrong answers.
    state police have nothing to do with permits in PA, and out of staters can carry and there is reciprocity with VA, so if you have a valid VA permit you can carry here while looking for your new place and such. here is the reciprocity agreement-- http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/uploa...eciprocity.pdf

Thanks aprreciate it.

(Allegheny County)

If possible, don't buy a home in Allegheny Co., go for Washington Co.

Taxes will be better and when you go for your PA cary permit it will be a lot less hassel.
    "Ya only need legs to kick ass baby boy" - Bartender in Feast III

(Snyder County)

To obtain your License to Carry Firearms (LTCF) in Pennsylvania, you need to goto the Sheriff's office in the county you live in. From there they will have you fill out a form to apply for the LTCF. The counties all differ on how they give out the licenses. Some do an in depth investigation. Others will just give it to you on the spot.

But you do have to have your residence established here in PA, and have a valid PA driver's license or ID card.

I am not 100% sure on this, but I have not heard of any newspapers publishing the names of people with LTCFs.

Also, as stated, the Pennsylvania State Police have nothing to do with the issuing of the LTCFs and will probably give you misleading information because of such. But VA does have reciprocity with VA and you can carry concealed in PA while you are looking for a house. But don't carry it concealed in the state of Maryland while you are driving through.

Its been a bit of an issue here in VA. The roanoke times published every conceal carriers name and home address claiming the public had a right to know. I cant say it harmed me directly but it definately opens the door for criminals seeking guns.

Thanks for the advice guys.

LG

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by GUNRUNNERS OF PA View Post
    If possible, don't buy a home in Allegheny Co., go for Washington Co.

Taxes will be better and when you go for your PA cary permit it will be a lot less hassel.

Gotta agree with this... except I would remove the "if possible" from that first line. (and I'd underline the word "don't".)

neinLG, Welcome to the forum and if you have any questions related to the area, just ask!
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Berks County)

Its been a bit of an issue here in VA. The roanoke times published every conceal carriers name and home address claiming the public had a right to know. I cant say it harmed me directly but it definately opens the door for criminals seeking guns.

Thanks for the advice guys.

LG
    I seem to remember hearing that the times is paying a bit of a price over that one. Congrats to you guys down there for making sure that they understand what personal information means. As for your question, I can't really think of any incidents up here through when one of the county sherriffs offices was testing a new system they used live data and some of that could have made the web. That has since been corrected of course, and that sherriff is being sued over that.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast