Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default delaware county-50 days and reference restriction

Was in the County Courthouse for other business. Stopped in, three people getting renewals. 50 days to get letter back! Why does this take so long? Looked at application, I saw no difference in procedure for new apps and renewal? You'd think a renewal would be more streamlined-check criminal history since last LTCF then grant it.
    In addition cover letter says no Police Chief, Judge or member of Sheriffs dept. can be used as a reference? This is not a PA restriction but something local. Why? Was there some scandal years ago I never read about in the Paper. Hard to believe this is 2010. I was telling my wife that according to others here at PAFOA, some Counties give you a LTCF while you wait.
    Tim

(Delaware County)

Default Re: delaware county-50 days and reference restriction

Quote Originally Posted by timdennis View Post
    Was in the County Courthouse for other business. Stopped in, three people getting renewals. 50 days to get letter back! Why does this take so long? Looked at application, I saw no difference in procedure for new apps and renewal? You'd think a renewal would be more streamlined-check criminal history since last LTCF then grant it.
    In addition cover letter says no Police Chief, Judge or member of Sheriffs dept. can be used as a reference? This is not a PA restriction but something local. Why? Was there some scandal years ago I never read about in the Paper. Hard to believe this is 2010. I was telling my wife that according to others here at PAFOA, some Counties give you a LTCF while you wait.
    they're breaking the law, AFAIK. I believe they have 46 days (calendar days) to process licenses.

they're already under a shit ton of scrutiny because they're in violations with MANY of the UFA laws as it is. I've got a meeting set up with a family friend who happens to be a Rep. in Delaware County tomorrow to go over some of these issues.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by andrewjs18 View Post
    I believe they have 46 days (calendar days) to process licenses.
    The application and cover letter in their office gave 45 business-not calendar days. Maybe thats why the Clerk was telling people 50 days. Thats to get a letter and you still have to then make time in your schedule to go back there to pick it up.
    Tim

(Chester County)

The statute is 45 days from the receipt of the application. The law does not include the day of receipt (first day) (1 Pa CSA 1908) in the count so it would indeed be 46 days including the day of tendering. Days are defined as calendar days from midnight to midnight (1 Pa CSA 1991).

18 Pa CSA 6109(g) Grant or denial of license.--Upon the receipt of an application for a license to carry a firearm, the sheriff shall, within 45 days, issue or refuse to issue a license on the basis of the investigation under subsection (d) and the accuracy of the information contained in the application. If the sheriff refuses to issue a license, the sheriff shall notify the applicant in writing of the refusal and the specific reasons. The notice shall be sent by certified mail to the applicant at the address set forth in the application.
    IANAL

I was told 50 days as well. I took that as they will take 45 days to process the application, then allow 5 days for the mail to get there. I also had three other people in line with me.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kratos View Post
    I was told 50 days as well. I took that as they will take 45 days to process the application, then allow 5 days for the mail to get there. I also had three other people in line with me.
    I'm not so sure even that is legal. maybe someone with some citations can chime in. I'm pretty busy between calls at work and don't have the time to look them up.

(Chester County)

6109(g) says "sheriff shall, within 45 days, issue or refuse to issue ...". I would interpret that to mean that the license is completed and ready for pick-up or the refusal letter has been send certified mail in those 45 days.

If the sheriff decides to notify availability by mail then that letter must be mailed within the 45 days. You could avoid the mail delay issue by stopping by on the 45th day (excluding Sat, Sun, and holidays).

Does any Delco LTCFers have any actual experience with the sheriff's true timelines for issuing the LTCF? I can't see making too much of what a clerk says; only if the sheriff is continually late would it be actionable.
    IANAL

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    6109(g) says "sheriff shall, within 45 days, issue or refuse to issue ...". I would interpret that to mean that the license is completed and ready for pick-up or the refusal letter has been send certified mail in those 45 days.

If the sheriff decides to notify availability by mail then that letter must be mailed within the 45 days. You could avoid the mail delay issue by stopping by on the 45th day (excluding Sat, Sun, and holidays).

Does any Delco LTCFers have any actual experience with the sheriff's true timelines for issuing the LTCF? I can't see making too much of what a clerk says; only if the sheriff is continually late would it be actionable.
    both mine and the ladies came a day or 2 before the 45 legal day limit.

(Delaware County)

Mine took 30 days. It depends how busy they are. They were down to about 25 to 30 days about April.

The lady that took your info has been there for ever. I remember seeing her back when fingerprints were taken. Early 80s? She is not in any hurry. She has worked through 8 Sheriffs or more and she is still there.
    You can all claim what you what, and I know I will agitate Andrew to no end. They claim 45 "business" days, you claim not legal. We need someone to sue? You up for it? The Sheriff has opened extra hours, one Saturday and one night a month. Just make sure you renew early.

Things will change someday, just not today! It has gotten a lot better, still needs to go further, but it is better.
    NRA Training Counselor, Chief Range Safety Officer, NRA Benefactor Member

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dannytheman View Post
    Mine took 30 days. It depends how busy they are. They were down to about 25 to 30 days about April.

The lady that took your info has been there for ever. I remember seeing her back when fingerprints were taken. Early 80s? She is not in any hurry. She has worked through 8 Sheriffs or more and she is still there.
    You can all claim what you what, and I know I will agitate Andrew to no end. They claim 45 "business" days, you claim not legal. We need someone to sue? You up for it? The Sheriff has opened extra hours, one Saturday and one night a month. Just make sure you renew early.

Things will change someday, just not today! It has gotten a lot better, still needs to go further, but it is better.
    last time I was there (few months ago) I didn't see any older ladies working there at all. and the clerk I spoke to was extremely rude and I had to put her in her place.

I'll be going back up there soon to return my plastic LTCF and get a paper version.

it doesn't matter how busy they are..the law is the law, IMHO. they're in violation of MANY PA UFA laws..they need to start complying ASAP.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast