Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default The Arsenal vs. the Saiga....which one comes out on top ?

Hey everyone, I have a question about 2 AK's.

Which one do you all think is better overall, the Saiga or the Arsenal ??

Which one has better accuracy, reliability, durability ?

Does one have a better barrel, receiver, better quality parts ??

I know the Arsenal has a nicer fit and finish...but is that it ? Also, the Saiga's isn't as nice but it's actually better that way if your converting it because it will get scratched, dinged up in the process and what not. So you can refinish the rifle with Duracoat after your done, then the Saiga's fit and finish would be right up there IMO.

The way I look at it is the Arsenal is a Bulgarian made AK and the Saiga is a Russian made AK, both made 922r compliant for import just the Arsenal is done up really nice and already in basic AK configuration. But what if it was reversed..and the Saiga came like the Arsenal and the Arsenal came like the Saiga....would there prices just flip and the Saiga be more money ??

It seems like if they both were imported the same way then they would both be the same price, not that that means one is not better overall.

Also interested in this because the Arsenal's have gone down in price signifigantly, one can be had for $600-$650 new.

Look forward to hearing everyone's thoughts/opinions/suggestions/facts on this topic, PhilaShooter.
    When ALL else fails...the AK won't !! Emotions...??? emotions are for people who CARE !!!

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: The Arsenal vs. the Saiga....which one comes out on top ?

Quote Originally Posted by PhilaShooter View Post

The way I look at it is the Arsenal is a Bulgarian made AK and the Saiga is a Russian made AK, both made 922r compliant for import

Look forward to hearing everyone's thoughts/opinions/suggestions/facts on this topic, PhilaShooter.

most arsenals are imported from....um...uh....nevada.....where arsenal inc is based.

the russians and romanians are the only foreign made aks, readily availible these days.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    most arsenals are imported from....um...uh....nevada.....where arsenal inc is based.

the russians and romanians are the only foreign made aks, readily availible these days.

Yes I know...Arsenal in Las Vegas, Nevada...I'm saying the way I see it because it's pretty much a Bulgarian AK except brand new...like a Saiga....and US made of course.

I'm saying if the Arsenal was imported like the Saiga is...they would be the same price a Saiga is...no they are not I know that, but for the money are they worth it basically....are the Arsenal's that much better then the Saiga's....or are the Saiga's better ??

Also, Arsenal is a Bulgarian company IIRC, which I'm sure I do, they just don't send finished rifles over from Bulgaria. Another point...Arsenal is actually using Saiga's and converting them in one of there lines currently.
    Last edited by PhilaShooter; July 12th, 2010 at 06:12 PM.
    When ALL else fails...the AK won't !! Emotions...??? emotions are for people who CARE !!!

Im pretty sure Arsenals AK's are Imported saiga's reworked by Arsenal to be US compliant & as close as possible to a real AK in semi auto ,I could be wrong .. I currently am wishing I could get an Arsenal & have been for some time ..

Maybe it is just the SGL line that are imported Saigas ...
    "Emergency's seldom favor the unprepared"

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBmore View Post
    Im pretty sure Arsenals AK's are Imported saiga's reworked by Arsenal to be US compliant & as close as possible to a real AK in semi auto ,I could be wrong .. I currently am wishing I could get an Arsenal & have been for some time ..

Maybe it is just the SGL line that are imported Saigas ...

I believe you are correct, as I said also, they have a line out of converted Saiga's. They do also have a line of there own AK's IIRC.

Arsenal's are currently going for $600-$650....but at that price you can buy a Saiga, convert it yourself with exactly what you want on there and still save like $100 or so,

(Allegheny County)

JM2cents - my 16" SAIGA 7.62x39 is a tack driver. Better than any AK or SKS I've ever fired.
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

(Bucks County)

I have a SGL21. What they do is they ship a Saiga over to America from Russia, so it could 922R compliant, and then once it arrives they make it into 7.62x39mm. Than they put on the muzzle break, new stock, new trigger and Basically everything is taken off except the receiver (Which is converted from .308 to 7.62) and is replaced with AK furniture. So its really just an AK-103...

But yeah, I love my rifle.. for $689 I got my money's worth!
    "If the individual can govern himself, all external government is tyranny" - Benjamin Tucker.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jabtime View Post
    I have a SGL21. What they do is they ship a Saiga over to America from Russia, so it could 922R compliant, and then once it arrives they make it into 7.62x39mm. Than they put on the muzzle break, new stock, new trigger and Basically everything is taken off except the receiver (Which is converted from .308 to 7.62) and is replaced with AK furniture. So its really just an AK-103...

Ummm, it ARRIVES 7.62x39mm. If it was a .308 Sagia it wouldn't be able to take reg AK mags the mag well would be to large. Sagias are imported as .223(but have 5.56 cambers the .223 markings is to throw off the BATF reportedly) 5.45x39mm, 7.62x39mm, .308 win, 30-06(tho cant be converted like most its an odd ball) and in shotgun gauges. Now what i wanna know is, can a 5.56 Arsenal take on a AR15(Plain jane m4 not some souped up HBAR) for groupings. If the shooter is strong with both rifles as they are worlds apart from each other.

(Luzerne County)

Ohh and the Saiga .308s also cost more, have differnt bolts(three lugs not 2) and finkicy FCG when you swap em out with a run of the mill after market FCG(Ones made for the .308 drop right in), the safty doesnt engage correctly or something. Just an FYI if any one reading this think hmm AK in a .308 cambering.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabtime View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Binaryenemy View Post
    Ummm, it ARRIVES 7.62x39mm. If it was a .308 Sagia it wouldn't be able to take reg AK mags the mag well would be to large. Sagias are imported as .223(but have 5.56 cambers the .223 markings is to throw off the BATF reportedly) 5.45x39mm, 7.62x39mm, .308 win, 30-06(tho cant be converted like most its an odd ball) and in shotgun gauges. Now what i wanna know is, can a 5.56 Arsenal take on a AR15(Plain jane m4 not some souped up HBAR) for groupings. If the shooter is strong with both rifles as they are worlds apart from each other.

Made in Bulgaria, rejigged here for 922r, according to them:

http://www.arsenalinc.com/articles/slr105/slr105.pdf
    http://www.arsenalinc.com/articles/s...SAR_SLR106.pdf

Guns and Ammo article: http://www.gunsandammo.com/content/b...t-breed?page=1

From the article:

The majority of the rifle is manufactured by Arsenal Co. Ltd. of Bulgaria, with certain components produced by Arsenal Inc. of Las Vegas to make the rifle legal here in the United States.

At least that's what it says. Oh, and FWIW, although Arsenal rifles up to very recently were guaranteed to come with awful BBQ paint for a finish, like cheap Rustoleum, and most likely with a canted front sight, or even an inordinate amount of trigger slap (my SLR105 A1 R suffering all three), once these issues are corrected, they're keepers.
    Last edited by King 5.45; July 13th, 2010 at 06:07 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast