Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: The Arsenal vs. the Saiga....which one comes out on top ?

Quote Originally Posted by nfafan View Post
    Gotta love that. My babushken studda-bubbah-built so-called "POS" WASRs have a tougher finish.
    Yep. Now show me the dimples in the receiver of that tough finish. Also, show me a blue book on resale compared to an arsenal. Or the collectors appeal to a WASR.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by USAFSP View Post
    While I'm inclined to agree, my SGL was bought on sale for 499.00 from KVAR. Show me your conversion, plus rifle, plus man hours of work to do it. Not happening is the term that comes to mind.

And your right, converted saigas are nice, but they are also chock full of commercial markings. Thats the deal killer for me.

Well considering the conversion can be done for a total of roughly $525 including the rifle that is in some ways better than your SGL model. Reason being is because again most people will change handguards or pistol grip or stock or whichever, maybe everything or maybe they don't change anything....but most of the time people do change things, so paying $500 for a SGL then putting some of your own things on there "customizing" it, you will spend another $50-$100.

When you can buy a Saiga and put EXACTLY what you want on it for less than an Arsenal SGL model. As for man hours...it's not that much...maybe a couple hours, at best 3 or 4...you also have to know what you are doing as well.

Bottom line everyone has their own personal taste's, and if you plan to customize an AK then you are much better off going with the Saiga because your not paying for accessories that you will be taking off to replace.

Just my $.02

Edit: I do agree with you about the markings I will say that, it would be a MILLION times better if the Saiga's just said, Made in Russia by Izmash, and maybe the Izmash marking on the barrel and some other spots.....NOT all over the receiver LOL. I am going to be painting mine when I am done with the Arsenal rear trunnion installation and what I'm gonna try and do is buff out some of it Just leave less than half of it if I can.
    Last edited by PhilaShooter; July 16th, 2010 at 10:41 PM.
    When ALL else fails...the AK won't !! Emotions...??? emotions are for people who CARE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by PhilaShooter View Post
    Well considering the conversion can be done for a total of roughly $525 including the rifle that is in some ways better than your SGL model. Reason being is because again most people will change handguards or pistol grip or stock or whichever, maybe everything or maybe they don't change anything....but most of the time people do change things, so paying $500 for a SGL then putting some of your own things on there "customizing" it, you will spend another $50-$100.

When you can buy a Saiga and put EXACTLY what you want on it for less than an Arsenal SGL model. As for man hours...it's not that much...maybe a couple hours, at best 3 or 4...you also have to know what you are doing as well.

Bottom line everyone has their own personal taste's, and if you plan to customize an AK then you are much better off going with the Saiga because your not paying for accessories that you will be taking off to replace.

Just my $.02

Edit: I do agree with you about the markings I will say that, it would be a MILLION times better if the Saiga's just said, Made in Russia by Izmash, and maybe the Izmash marking on the barrel and some other spots.....NOT all over the receiver LOL. I am going to be painting mine when I am done with the Arsenal rear trunnion installation and what I'm gonna try and do is buff out some of it Just leave less than half of it if I can.
    I totally agree with you on the subject of customizing it. If you happen to be one of the many folks out there that put your own twist on the AK, than a Saiga and some know how can't be beat. I'm sorta easily pleased, and with the AK, I think it doesnt get better than the AK-100 series type rifles.

The Saiga type is a billboard of markings, it reminds me of a taurus!!! I'd love to see cyrillic markings for safe and semi positions. You hear that Izmash?! :P

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234