Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Question Gumsmithing pricing for sights

Hey guys I am trying to get a general idea of about how much it would cost for something I need to get done. I want to trijicon night sights put on my brand new Beretta 92fs inox (which will be here Tuesday) and I know the the front sight is permanently attached so it will need to be drilled out to put the new ones in. Would anyone know a rough guess on how much something like that is?

Default Re: Gumsmithing pricing for sights

Quote Originally Posted by STI View Post
    Hey guys I am trying to get a general idea of about how much it would cost for something I need to get done. I want to trijicon night sights put on my brand new Beretta 92fs inox (which will be here Tuesday) and I know the the front sight is permanently attached so it will need to be drilled out to put the new ones in. Would anyone know a rough guess on how much something like that is?
    I'm not sure about trijicons but meprolights mount over the front sight and are held inplace by 2 small roll pins. Pretty easy to do yourself if you have access to wire gauge drill bits. My local True Value sells them.

If you want to go the gunsmith route I would bet you could get it done for 20 to 25 bucks

Quote Originally Posted by MaDuece View Post
    I'm not sure about trijicons but meprolights mount over the front sight and are held inplace by 2 small roll pins. Pretty easy to do yourself if you have access to wire gauge drill bits. My local True Value sells them.

If you want to go the gunsmith route I would bet you could get it done for 20 to 25 bucks
    I'm pretty sure that a gunsmith would charge more than the amount you stated to do this job. Most decent gunsmiths I know charge at least $50 an hour for their time, and the minimum is 1 hour. Last I remember a single tritium vial is around $7.00 a piece, although buying more, etc, you can get them cheaper. From what I understand they can sometimes be difficult to get a hold of.

I would NOT recommend that you do this yourself with some wire gauge drill bits. It might be possible to do them with a good drill press, but it's would also be pretty easy to get them crooked, or mess something up. I know the gunsmith is going to do it with a milling machine. The way you can move and adjust the milling machine, he can guaruntee that they're the same height. This is kind of a specialty thing and I'm sure that some smiths wouldn't even feel comfortable doing it, depending on what they specialize in. Either way, you should be able to find someone willing to do it, if they're a professional gunsmith that does it for a living.

Meprolights are good quality sights, and bright. I don't have particular experience with their Beretta sights or how they go on, but if it's a possibility, you may consider them. I'm guessing that if you have a smith install night sights on your current rig, it'll be minimum of around $70. I would guess that since it's a bit of a specialty thing, I wouldn't be surprised if you heard someone tell you something like $120. I think that somewhere in the $85 sounds fair even if you supplied the vials, although someone may do it for that price with the vials included. I've read a couple of places that used to sell vials, if you have some problems finding a dealer, let me know. I don't know for sure that these dealers will have vials, but it'll be a lead or a start anyway. Best of luck to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat088 View Post
    I'm pretty sure that a gunsmith would charge more than the amount you stated to do this job. Most decent gunsmiths I know charge at least $50 an hour for their time, and the minimum is 1 hour. Last I remember a single tritium vial is around $7.00 a piece, although buying more, etc, you can get them cheaper. From what I understand they can sometimes be difficult to get a hold of.

I would NOT recommend that you do this yourself with some wire gauge drill bits. It might be possible to do them with a good drill press, but it's would also be pretty easy to get them crooked, or mess something up. I know the gunsmith is going to do it with a milling machine. The way you can move and adjust the milling machine, he can guaruntee that they're the same height. This is kind of a specialty thing and I'm sure that some smiths wouldn't even feel comfortable doing it, depending on what they specialize in. Either way, you should be able to find someone willing to do it, if they're a professional gunsmith that does it for a living.

Meprolights are good quality sights, and bright. I don't have particular experience with their Beretta sights or how they go on, but if it's a possibility, you may consider them. I'm guessing that if you have a smith install night sights on your current rig, it'll be minimum of around $70. I would guess that since it's a bit of a specialty thing, I wouldn't be surprised if you heard someone tell you something like $120. I think that somewhere in the $85 sounds fair even if you supplied the vials, although someone may do it for that price with the vials included. I've read a couple of places that used to sell vials, if you have some problems finding a dealer, let me know. I don't know for sure that these dealers will have vials, but it'll be a lead or a start anyway. Best of luck to you.
    I think you misunderstood what I said.

Mepro's are a complete sight and not just the vial. The new front sight fits over top the factory sight and has 2 holes drilled thru it already. You complete it by drilling thru the factory sight (using the new sight) as a template and guide then install the 2 roll pins that hold the new sight inplace. It's not rocket science and any gunshith worth his salt can easily and accurately drill 2 holes.

I would never recommend anyone playing with tritium vials and triing to drill a factory sight with the plan of installing a tritium vial! You need the tools the experience and the know how to do that correctly and not end up with brocken vials of tritium laying around.
    Last edited by MaDuece; July 12th, 2010 at 08:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MaDuece View Post
    I think you misunderstood what I said.

Mepro's are a complete sight and not just the vial. The new front sight fits over top the factory sight and has 2 holes drilled thru it already. You complete it by drilling thru the factory sight (using the new sight) as a template and guide then install the 2 roll pins that hold the new sight inplace. It's not rocket science and any gunshith worth his salt can easily and accurately drill 2 holes.

I would never recommend anyone playing with tritium vials and triing to drill a factory sight with the plan of installing a tritium vial! You need the tools the experience and the know how to do that correctly and not end up with brocken vials of tritium laying around.
    Yes sir, I did misunderstand you. I thought you were saying that with the right drill set he could install tritium vials himself. I didn't realize that you meant drill the holes through the sight so that you could mount it on. Yeah, especially if you can use the new sight as a template that definitely wouldn't be rocket science, and I can see how someone with even a drill press could do it this way. Thanks for the clarification, makes much more sense.

Almost too much bother. Look here: http://hipowertalk.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2491

Beretta pricing: http://www.tooltechgunsight.com/page20.html

Pop the slide off and ship it to them. No expensive shipping because it isn't the frame.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat088 View Post
    I didn't expect to be cheap even though I would like it to be, I was figuring around $120 to $150. I decided to go with Trijicon because they are damn close to the stock sight size and the Meprolights are somewhat larger then the standard sights. I think it would be foolish to do this yourself unless you like blowing money then it might be ok to do it, in which case I'd take it to a gun smith. I am going to supply the front and rear sights I just need them to be installed on the gun properly. Thanks for the awesome help since I like to do as much research as I can before going about something and you def cleared a lot of that up.

Quote Originally Posted by King 5.45 View Post
    Almost too much bother. Look here: http://hipowertalk.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2491

Beretta pricing: http://www.tooltechgunsight.com/page20.html

Pop the slide off and ship it to them. No expensive shipping because it isn't the frame.
    I looked at that option as well but I am looking for something local who can do it and if I can't I will most likely go this route.

So basically they drill out your front and rear sights and put the tritium vial in and off you go?

So basically they drill out your front and rear sights and put the tritium vial in and off you go?
    Bada-bing, bada-bam, bada-boom ...

(York County)

I would love to see someone do that themselves lol I am still unsure if I want to go that route or just get them replaced entirely.

I would love to see someone do that themselves lol I am still unsure if I want to go that route or just get them replaced entirely.
    Installing tritium vials? NOPE it is not for a beginner or tinkerer

Installing replacement sights? simple as pie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast