Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lebanon County)

Default monday morning shoot

anybody going out?
    loaded a few(15) 500s, some 350grs at what should be around 1550fps.
    either that or hit'n the creek, depending if it cleans up over night.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: monday morning shoot

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    anybody going out?
    loaded a few(15) 500s, some 350grs at what should be around 1550fps.
    either that or hit'n the creek, depending if it cleans up over night.
    What your not gonna tell us how it went?

Brad

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dextrimental View Post
    What your not gonna tell us how it went?

Brad
    hit the creek about 8am. waded down stream about a mile or so fished both ways.
    could not get anything on streamers, just a few half hearted follows. a variety of floating minnows and sliders produced some nice bluegills and many redbreasts with a few small pumpkinseeds thrown in the mix.
    had a jurassic park moment with a floating minnow. got it back to about 12-15 feet and saw a large green/dark bodied critter following, when it turned it was like the scene where the t-rex bent down and looked into the car.....all you saw out the window was a giant eye....all i saw was a huge mouth and a giant head.....not sure if it was a big bass or a small tiger.
    the water level was fine, the rain sat brought it up a bunch, but this morning it was well on its way back down. it was just a little stained yet.
    got back to the cruiser about 11am. hit advance auto to pick up a new fan clutch and water pump belt on the way home. took me about an hour after lunch to remove and install said parts. took a siesta after that, and then it was raining. and then it was now.

i partly what to send the first couple boom booms out by myself, and the other part wants to make a party out of it.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    hit the creek about 8am. waded down stream about a mile or so fished both ways.
    could not get anything on streamers, just a few half hearted follows. a variety of floating minnows and sliders produced some nice bluegills and many redbreasts with a few small pumpkinseeds thrown in the mix.
    had a jurassic park moment with a floating minnow. got it back to about 12-15 feet and saw a large green/dark bodied critter following, when it turned it was like the scene where the t-rex bent down and looked into the car.....all you saw out the window was a giant eye....all i saw was a huge mouth and a giant head.....not sure if it was a big bass or a small tiger.
    the water level was fine, the rain sat brought it up a bunch, but this morning it was well on its way back down. it was just a little stained yet.
    got back to the cruiser about 11am. hit advance auto to pick up a new fan clutch and water pump belt on the way home. took me about an hour after lunch to remove and install said parts. took a siesta after that, and then it was raining. and then it was now.

i partly what to send the first couple boom booms out by myself, and the other part wants to make a party out of it.

Record yourself, then you can share it if it was good, and if it was bad, well... Someone will find you at the range eventually.....

Seriously though, WTF are you waiting 4? Shoot that beast!

(Lebanon County)

took a few pieces this morning.
    started off with a 38spl
    moved onto a 357 mag and then a 44 mag, till finally the 500.
    i had a few loads for it. a 350G jacketed bullet at around 1600fps which was very mild...i would even say disappointing, for as much as the components cost. i will not make that mistake again.
    the load that i was afraid of, a 500G jacketed at about 1200fps, was surprisingly light, but with more "push".
    both of these loads have room to "grow"....and will.
    the load that took me surprise however, is a 440G hard cast lead, gas check over 35grains of w296.
    the long barrel soaks much of the recoil and tendency to jump very well. none of these loads threw the gun up like it's 4" barrel cousin wanted to.
    however it wants to push back like a rifle would. my wrist and elbow took a beating.
    25 rounds fired.
    5-350's
    5-500's
    15-440's

was using one of smaller steel targets.
    i did not get ahold of it with the 500s, and like i mentioned the 350s were powder puffs....the 440s however bowled it over backwards anywhere from one to one and a half complete rolls. the first hit must have caught it high, as it threw it back about 2 feet and up the embankment.
    i even recovered one of the gas checks. they have alittle room to go yet, but i think i'll just let that load ride as it is. the lead went last, and there was no leading at all.

(Lebanon County)

Do you plan on trying the 700gr loads? I mean that's in 50BMG bullet weight land

(Lebanon County)

i'm thinking yes at this point, the 500s were not bad at all.

(Lebanon County)

I feel ya on the 500s, but I am having a hard time estimating the recoil of a heavy charged load under 700gr of lead. Should be a good time +1