Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Northampton County)

Default Galco belts - do they stretch?

I had mine for over a year and had no problems. I lost a little weight and needed a new hole put in it. Then I started really losing weight and needed another hole. A couple weeks ago I had two holes put in it. The second one wasn't very far from the first one, but the first one was nice and tight. I'm already on the second one and I've only lost two pounds in that time.

The belt is not matching up with the fatass scale in my bathroom. Now I'm adding holes without really losing much weight. But, it should have been plenty stretched out (if that happens) during the first year I wore it. I can't believe it was fine for almost a year and now I need a new belt after losing only 2 lbm.

Are Galco belts known for stretching out? Should I buy a different brand next time? My belt guy seems to think it's the best belt on Earth. But he doesn't deal with heavy belts much.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Galco belts - do they stretch?

I have had one I use almost every day for 5 years. It did stretch a little bit but didn't go any more than maybe 1 hole.

(Allegheny County)

I got about 4yrs out of a Galco gunbelt. Mine seemed to stretch a bit. My wife had one too and it seemed the same. I'm guessing a little stretching with them is possible since they don't have a synthetic center and are just leather. I've noticed no such thing with my other leather gunbelts that have kydex or similar synthetic stiffener centers.

(York County)

While losing weight, are you doing ANYTHING to build muscle mass? Muscle mass is much more dense than body fat, so as you lose fat, you may be gaining muscle, causing the scale's needle to fall in the same area while your waist continues to shrink.

I had a helluva time about 15 years ago as I exercised to lose about 70lbs. I had to wear suits to work ever day, and the constant adjusting was rather expensive. Definitely worth it though.

I'm attempting it once again, I'm working my way down to 220 or so from a high of 319. Already lost 23lbs, about 80 more to go.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    While losing weight, are you doing ANYTHING to build muscle mass? Muscle mass is much more dense than body fat, so as you lose fat, you may be gaining muscle, causing the scale's needle to fall in the same area while your waist continues to shrink.

I had a helluva time about 15 years ago as I exercised to lose about 70lbs. I had to wear suits to work ever day, and the constant adjusting was rather expensive. Definitely worth it though.

I'm attempting it once again, I'm working my way down to 220 or so from a high of 319. Already lost 23lbs, about 80 more to go.
    I'm on the treadmill 6 days a week. I have worked out a bit with resistance, but I haven't gotten regular with it yet. I know that shit can come back fast, but looking at myself I doubt it.

BTW - I'm not trying to lose weight. So this is not a weightloss, diet, or fitness thread. Not directed at you, Curmudgeon.

This is a belt thread.

(Lehigh County)

IMO it is not the belt. All leather will stretch some but Galco is quality stuff and I would bet that the stretch is minimal with their products.

Don't let your scale be the only measure of lost weight. Some weeks my scale says no loss then the next week it says i am down 5. When I saw you last week I could tell that you were shedding the pounds like mad.
    Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you. -Andrew Wilkow

(Monroe County)

scales are not accurate indicators of weight loss. muscle weighs more than fat, so it will offset itself. for example, i have lost almost 3 inches off my waist in the last 6 months, but have actually GAINED weight.

so no, your belt hasn't stretched, you are just skinnier than you thin.
    ONE TO THE HEAD!!!!