Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Ruger P95 Slide

(Blair County)

Default Ruger P95 Slide

So I was shooting Sunday with a buddy when I had exhausted a clip and was about to sit the gun down I noticed that the mag had not stopped the slide. At first I thought I had mis counted the rounds I put in so I aimed and pulled the trigger again. *clink* I was correct, I was out of ammo. This was a scary to me. I was thinking it was just a fluke when I pulled the slide back to check the chamber and the mag held the slide back. So I decided that maybe the slide wasn't in right and I sat the gun down and handed my buddy the second mag. A few rounds of shooting went by before it happened again! Now this is strange, I thought. I believe that it is only one of the magazines that is allowing this to happen, but I have not ruled out which one. Both my buddy and I were concerned about this, but I wasn't sure what to do about it. All in all, it happened 3 times out of 30 or so shoots of the two mags. Both mags are 15 shot and the package of gun and mags are only a week old. The gun, in case you missed it, is a Ruger P95.

Does anyone have any advice on what to check or how to go about troubleshooting this? Thanks!
    -thespider
    Ruger P95PR15
    http://rusty.isa-geek.org

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: Ruger P95 Slide

The mag follower is what moves the slide release up to lock the slide when the mag is empty.........

So.....you may have weak springs in the mags (no matter if they are new) or you may have a mag tube out of spec that doesn't allow the follower to come up enough to enegage the slide release all the time.

Or.....you may have weak ammo (remanufactured ammo is kind of notorious for this). Weak ammo will cycle the slide back far enough to eject and rechamber but not far enough back to allow the slide release to engage.

My first step would be to buy some good ammo and load just two in each mag and do some testing.

If that was found to be lacking, I'd remove and stretch out a mag spring. If that works, buy new springs.

If that doesn't work, I'd try some new mags.

Lycangoforththrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Blair County)

Thanks Lycan, I'll check that out tonight if I can find the time. I've been using Remington UMC so far and have only shot 100 rounds through it. The first box I didn't have this problem. It only occured on the second box.
    If I discover that the mag springs are loose, should I call ruger and ask for a replacment? Or do they not cover the spings. Thanks again!
    -thespider
    Ruger P95PR15
    http://rusty.isa-geek.org

(Lawrence County)

You can buy the new mag springs from Ruger, they're only a few bucks, but they aren't really covered under the warranty because it's considered normal wear and tear, or that the mags are an "accessory" and also not covered...

If you're going to be ordering new mag springs, you might as well order some replacement recoil springs as well, you never know when you may need them, and it will save you shipping at a later date...

I have no problems with my P95, it runs non-stop... After 4,000+ rounds, it has yet to hiccup... lol
    I like guns... And boobs...