Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    (Monroe County)

Default Re: This flashlight combo may just save your life

Quote Originally Posted by Carnes View Post
    Looks like a pretty decent light, although I am not a big fan of having a tac light that switches mode with multiple presses of the tailcap.

Anyway, I was checking out the light, and I found this very through review which includes several outstanding lights, including both of the ones we use.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=214890
    the good thing about it is that you don't have to fully depress it to cycle through because of the momentary feature and each time you turn it on it is automatically reset back to steady after 2 seconds of non use. Thank you for posting that link, it's a great reference point for sure.

(Bucks County)

I recently acquired a SureFire LX2. http://www.surefire.com/LX2-LumaMax

I have five different SureFire models, and the LX2 is my new favorite. Press the switch a little for 15 lumens, all the way for 200 lumens. Tighten the tailcap a little for 15 lumens constant on, and a bit more for 200 lumens constant on. Lanyard attachment in the correct (IMO) spot, and the two way clip, so I can carry it bezel down. Perfect size for use as a kubotan.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by unloved View Post
    I recently acquired a SureFire LX2. http://www.surefire.com/LX2-LumaMax

I have five different SureFire models, and the LX2 is my new favorite. Press the switch a little for 15 lumens, all the way for 200 lumens. Tighten the tailcap a little for 15 lumens constant on, and a bit more for 200 lumens constant on. Lanyard attachment in the correct (IMO) spot, and the two way clip, so I can carry it bezel down. Perfect size for use as a kubotan.
    That looks pretty damn nice!

(Allegheny County)

This is turning out to be a great thread.
    A couple years ago Watchman had a thread where he compared different flashlights. It did have the outdoor comparisons with photos. No time to search for it now.

I do building inspections on vacant buildings. They have no power and I work by flashlight a lot of the time. I currently use a 3D cell mag light. I like the fact that it also serves as a first line of defense incase I run into some trouble. However, it is quite cumbersome. I would prefer to use something smaller but still with a lot of light. I like the idea of the two power settings. The bright for looking back into crawl spaces, across rooms. And the low setting for writing notes. I do have a hard time convincing myself to spend over $50 for a flashlight though.

One thing I like about the Quark Tactical is that you can get the different filters and a kit so you can use it as a head lamp. However, that woud put the price up to $90.

It's a fun search though.
    Koli's back from Ambler.

(Clinton County)

Quote Originally Posted by GuyMontag View Post
    I think you may be missing my point. Do that same experiment and give your friend a training knife or pipe or some other weapon. Now at a range where that light is going to affect his vision, I'm willing to bet that he can still have one hell of a fighting change of getting his hands on you or striking you.

The human brain is an amazingly adaptive thing and by relying on a light to suddenly create a deer in headlights effect thus ending a confrontation is optimistic. Can it happen? Yes. Are you willing to bet your life on it?
    In the last training I had we practiced in the dark. Did hogan's alley with flash lights. We were also put out on the range. The instructer put the light in our eyes on strobe. It is very disorientating for a couple seconds. Could not tell exactly where the light was in front of you. It was stressed that those couple seconds you need to take advantage or you give up the advantage.

The instuctor also mentioned not to depend on the deer in the head light look to last long. If you gain one second tactical advantage it must used in that second. The light does not end the confrontation. The rounds that put the BG down end the confrontation.
    The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Carnes View Post
    That looks pretty damn nice!
    It is. I really like the dual mode switching.

I also have an E1B Backup. The switching on that is electronic. Turn it on, you get high. Off, then on again within two seconds, gives you low. What if I need high again within two seconds? I'm SOL. Have to do a quick double press of the switch, which I'm not sure I'd be capable of under stress. It's a shame too, because in all other respects, the Backup is ideal, IMO.

The LX2 is expensive, though. If mine hadn't been given to me as a gift for serving as my brother's Best Man, I wouldn't own one.

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by Koli01 View Post
    A couple years ago Watchman had a thread where he compared different flashlights. It did have the outdoor comparisons with photos. No time to search for it now.

I do building inspections on vacant buildings. They have no power and I work by flashlight a lot of the time. I currently use a 3D cell mag light. I like the fact that it also serves as a first line of defense incase I run into some trouble. However, it is quite cumbersome. I would prefer to use something smaller but still with a lot of light. I like the idea of the two power settings. The bright for looking back into crawl spaces, across rooms. And the low setting for writing notes. I do have a hard time convincing myself to spend over $50 for a flashlight though.

One thing I like about the Quark Tactical is that you can get the different filters and a kit so you can use it as a head lamp. However, that woud put the price up to $90.

It's a fun search though.

That tiny little ITP A1 light that I use for every day carry, will blow away a 3d incandescent mag light for light output on high. It is only like $25 from shiningbeam.com I think everyone should have one of these little lights or the AA or AAA version as a light to carry at all times.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Koli01 View Post

found it
    http://forum.pafoa.org/commercial-bu...forcement.html

looks like it got rotz'd into another forum too

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    found it
    http://forum.pafoa.org/commercial-bu...forcement.html

looks like it got rotz'd into another forum too
    Yeah, that's the one I was thinking of. U da Man!

and i was going to make a smart comment about you having to buy and sale some guns on the poofa shoot thread. real glad i did not.
    Koli's back from Ambler.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345