Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scope Advise

(Washington County)

Default Scope Advise

I just recently bought a used Remintgon 700 30-06 from a friend. It is a great rifle and shoots great but my friend kept the scope that he had used on it to put on his new rifle. I was just wondering if any one had any suggestions for what type of scope I should get for my new rifle? It will be primarily used for white tail hunting in Washington and Greene counties. I would like something that is going to last me, but I am shopping on a budget. Thank you in advance for your help and suggestions.

(Venango County)

Default Re: Scope Advise

Burris Fullfield II 3-9

It'll depend on how much of a budget you're shopping with, a dollar amount will be helpful. There is quite a different between the $100-150 scopes and moving up to the $250 scopes. Either way, it'll help us recommend some scopes that will fit your budget, and your needs. Do you have a magnification range that you prefer? Any other features that you just MUST have?

(Washington County)

I guess a specific dollar amount and some other specifications would be helpful. I would like to stay under $200. As far as magnification goes a maximum magnification of 12 or 14 would be preferable. There are not really any other features that I would insist on. The main sticking points to me are durability and quality for the dollars.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by JAnkrom View Post
    I guess a specific dollar amount and some other specifications would be helpful. I would like to stay under $200. As far as magnification goes a maximum magnification of 12 or 14 would be preferable. There are not really any other features that I would insist on. The main sticking points to me are durability and quality for the dollars.
    Browse the gun shops they always have good used scopes for cheap.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Monroe County)

Bushnell Elite series

http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys...i_sku=11311043

The rain guard coating is absolutely amazing. I love having this scope on my rifle, it is bright, clear, and I can look right through rain, snow, fog... etc without issue. It is truly amazing... and an OUTSTANDING deal at just under 200.00
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Somerset County)

I like the Elites too but c'mon Dredly, a straight 10X scope for deer hunting? The field of view at 100 yds is 11 feet. That doesn't leave much room to find a deer at anything less than 100yds, hell, at 25 the deer may be longer than the field of view is wide!

I put a Nikon 2-7 ProStaff on my son's 30-06, it worked great and I just replaced it with an Elite 4200 3-9. I also have another 4200 on a 7mm-08, a Weaver 4X on a 358 Win. and a Leupold 6X on a 270 Win. I have shot deer and groundhogs at 300 yds with the Leupold and never felt the need for more power.

A used "better quality" Leupold may be in your budget range also.

So there's my 2 cents, straight power or a variable with a top end of no more than 9 or 10X. And stay away from the 50 mm scopes.

Dale

I hunt Northwest Pa and the average shot is between 40 to 75 yards. There are plenty of reasonable cost scopes in the 3-9 X40 mm. Scopes over 9 power , I consider an overkill and a waste of money.
    Skip Griffith, Korean War Vet, OH & PA CCW

(Wayne County)

I`ll second the Fullfield II 3X9 nice scope for the money. If you have alittle more $ my favorite is Nikon Monarch.

(Dauphin County)

Look into the Cabelas Pine ridge brand. I can say they will stand up to recoil at least. I have had mine for about 2 years and everything works great. They are worth every cent. On the other hand if you have the $200 ready to go and have no other use for the money buy the best scope you can get for the money.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast