Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Short action vs long action Remington 700

Hello, I have a remington model 700 in 270 that has a normal stock. I am wanting to purchase a youth stock so my girls can shoot my rifle without me buying a new gun. I know I am cheap, but can't afford a new rifle right now. My question is, will a short action youth stock from a 308 fit my barrel? Please help. Thanks, Loren

(York County)

Default Re: Short action vs long action Remington 700

No I don't think that is going to work, the recoil lug on your 270 is going to be in a different place in relation to the bolt handle cutout in the stock vs the short action 308. Not to mention the action screw holes wont line up. If you had a 270 WSM, then it would work. I am not an expert and I may be wrong though.

You could always get another 270 beater stock and cut it down to size.
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
    Ayn Rand

(Allegheny County)

The .308 is short action, can't remember but I think .270 might be long action.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post
    The .308 is short action, can't remember but I think .270 might be long action.
    It's definitely a long action. The .270 is the .30-06 necked down to .277.
    Je suis Charles Martel.

(Berks County)

As was mentioned,....No.

Basically, the long and short actions have different receiver lengths and thus neither will fit the stock for the other action size. For the Remington 700 series, measure the screw holes on the bottom. Long action = 7 3/8", Short action = 6 1/2".

700's are very popular and you should be able to find a "cheap" used stock. You may have to cut it down, but if it is used and cheap enough, it will do for your kids.

A few places to check out for used stocks..

Numrich..http://www.gunpartscorp.com/

I did a quick search for "remington 700 stocks" they have quite a few, new and used, prices aren't too bad.

Good luck.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

Thanks for the info everyone!! That helps alot. I was thinking about just getting another stock and cutting it down, and now I think that is exactly what I will do. Thanks again, Loren

You got the correct information. The .270 is DEFINITELY a long action, no need to measure or anything else, it's a long action. .308's and even .270 WSM's can be built on long actions, so that doesn't mean that they automically a short action.

When changing from a standard sporter barrel contour to another stock, the barrel isn't usually what you have to worry about. Even if the barrel doesn't fit, it's easily fixable with a wooden dowel and some sandpaper. What you have to worry about is the inlet for the action, and where the action screws line up. For the record, it is possible for you to open up a youth model stock so that the long action will fit in it, it has to be done just right, and can get a little tricky. Honestly, it's really not worth the trouble. I'm in agreement with the others to buy a an older "beater stock", and then cut it down. You can get them for really cheap, they're not worth a lot. If you have trouble finding one, holler at me and I may be able to help you out.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat088 View Post
    You got the correct information. The .270 is DEFINITELY a long action, no need to measure or anything else, it's a long action. .308's and even .270 WSM's can be built on long actions, so that doesn't mean that they automically a short action.

When changing from a standard sporter barrel contour to another stock, the barrel isn't usually what you have to worry about. Even if the barrel doesn't fit, it's easily fixable with a wooden dowel and some sandpaper. What you have to worry about is the inlet for the action, and where the action screws line up. For the record, it is possible for you to open up a youth model stock so that the long action will fit in it, it has to be done just right, and can get a little tricky. Honestly, it's really not worth the trouble. I'm in agreement with the others to buy a an older "beater stock", and then cut it down. You can get them for really cheap, they're not worth a lot. If you have trouble finding one, holler at me and I may be able to help you out.
    Could you please elaborate on what would be required to build a short action caliber on a long action receiver?

I have a Remington 721 that is handed down from my grandfather and quite sentimental to me. But it's chambered in 30-06 which is uncomfortable for me to shoot more than about three times in a row. I looked at rebarreling it in .270 WIN which appears to have less recoil in general and maybe improved with lighter bullets and a muzzle brake. I think I would be happy with .308 or .243. Mostly hunt white tail or antelope with it. Probably 270 is the way to go, rather than end up with something janky...?

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by oldgeezy View Post
    Could you please elaborate on what would be required to build a short action caliber on a long action receiver?

I have a Remington 721 that is handed down from my grandfather and quite sentimental to me. But it's chambered in 30-06 which is uncomfortable for me to shoot more than about three times in a row. I looked at rebarreling it in .270 WIN which appears to have less recoil in general and maybe improved with lighter bullets and a muzzle brake. I think I would be happy with .308 or .243. Mostly hunt white tail or antelope with it. Probably 270 is the way to go, rather than end up with something janky...?
    I know ammo is crazy right now, but have you tried some of the low recoil options for the 06. Hornady has their "custom light" loads and I know other manufacturers have similar options. Might do the trick without having to drop money on altering the rifle.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by oldgeezy View Post

Just a barrel change to move to .270.

Lycanpassingthroughthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast