Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Trade 2 Cenury Rifles for one DSA... worth it?

For some strange reason, lately I've been thinking of selling my Cetme (bunch of mags + goodies) and my FAL (2 full stocks, bunch of mags, case, and complete FAL tool set) and with the proceeds and possibly a few hundred bucks, buy something from DSA.

I love my two rifles, these are my main long distance rifles, they function flawlessly, but I realize that they are, after all, made by Century.

On the other hand, a DSA FAL is supposed to be the best of the best. Bar none, top-notch, the Ferrari of battle rifles if you will.....

Now, from a needs standpoint, I'm not a firearm collector, but I do enjoy shooting a lot. I'd imagine the DSA would last a lifetime, and thats just fine by me, I don't plan on buying another long range rifle after this one, but if the opportunity presents itself, it would be a Remington bolt in .308 (same caliber). This DSA would be my general duty rifle; protection, civic duty, zombies, nuclear wasteland companion and where permitted by law, hunting.

Do you think this is a justifiable cause, would the better built rifle stand up better to years of abuse, shoot straighter, be less prone to break down, work if dirty, ect, ect, than the other two put together?

I'd be looking at something like this or this for my main rifle, with an Eotech or something like that. Maybe some sort of scope. Possibly a folding stock. I like the FAL, I can shoot with the FAL, and I know its proven itself in the past decades and I can say the same about the .308/7.62 round, thats why I feel this combination covers all my bases.

Whaddaya think? Again, Im not looking at a show-off piece for the range or a Sunday gun, I dont care to keep up with Jones, I just want a rifle that I can count my life on and that could stand up to extreme abuse (if need be) for the rest of my life.

(not interested in an AR-15 or an AK)
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Trade 2 Cenury Rifles for one DSA... worth it?

Trouble, I think, will be finding somebody to trade 2X Century for one DSA. If you can - jump on it. IMHO, even if you tossed in some $$ it would be worth the trade.

Another option for a rock solid Zombie killing .308 would be the PTR-91

On the larger point - YES. I prefer waiting and buying better quality that will last a lifetime.

(Philadelphia County)

I meant, I would sell my Centurys, and buy a DSA, but if somebody wants to trade, I'd be all for it!
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Philadelphia County)

Hey, I hope this isn't thread jacking but I have a question that is related to LorDiego's query.

I also have read and heard that DSA is the premier FAL maker. What I want to know from people who know more about this platform is how the originals compare to DSA. For example, the FNs and the Imbels, etc.

I've checked DSA's site many times and couldn't seem to find this answer. Do they use FAL parts kits and build on their own manufactured receivers? I am somewhat of a collector and when I do decide to buy a FAL, I would want at least some parts to be original, or traditional you could say, similar to my jones for AKs. I don't mind having a US receiver, as long as I can have "x" country furniture, barrels, etc.

Thanks

PS I'm glad that your Century CETME worked for you, everything that I've read about CETMEs from Century were a crapshoot at best. So with my limited knowledge and research on them, it is definitely worth it for a DSA. That would go in line with what phillyd2 said about getting someone who wants one would be hard. Good luck.
    Last edited by Garpman; October 15th, 2007 at 04:25 PM.

(Berks County)

FAL parts kits and build on their own manufactured receivers?
    Garpman, Yes, DSA makes their own reveivers and it is one of the best domestic ones out there. They use STG58 kits (Austrian) which are the most highly prized of the FAL type (other than the Israeli heavy barrel ones) because of the fine finish and lack of abuse these rifles have seen. They put together a well made rifle.

LorDiego01, If your current FAL works and works well, you may be dissapointed with a DSA, yes they are pretty, and you can order one to fit your need with all the bells and whistles. Will you see a magical increase in accuracy or reliablility? Probably and most likely not.

A FAL, built on any decent receiver (in spec) with a decent barrel is a ....well...FAL. They pretty much either work (and work well) or don't.

If your rifle is a decent shooter, you may want to just consider buying the parts and building your existing FAL to the cnfiguration you want with all the accessories on the rifles you linked to. DSA sells all that stuff seperately.

Curious, is your current Centrury built on an Imbel receiver?
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Philadelphia County)

So, an early FN imported FAL would mostly be for more desirable for a collector then? Because these are marked considerably higher than a brand new custom built one from DSA.

Quote Originally Posted by LorDiego01 View Post
    I meant, I would sell my Centurys, and buy a DSA, but if somebody wants to trade, I'd be all for it!
    LD:

If you're referring to the FAL you showed me recently @ Jimmy Johns, you might want to test fire it first. It looked okay to me, I'd run a few through it first. You might already have what you seek.

(Berks County)

So, an early FN imported FAL would mostly be for more desirable for a collector then? Because these are marked considerably higher than a brand new custom built one from DSA.
    In short Yes.

Very few "true" FAL variants exist in the US and they command a very high price in the market. Some Belgian FN made ones for the civilian market, all were pre-import ban, to my knowledge. These are generally considered the best FAL rifles available in the USA, and will command the highest price.

Some Brazilian and Argentine rifles were imported by Springfield Armory and later Springfield Inc., in both pre ban (SAR-48) and post ban (SAR-4800) configurations. Also a very few SAF Lithgow made Australian semi-autos were imported.

There are also a few NFA (full auto) versions around.

If one wants a "real" FAL for their collection, it may take a while to find one for sale and then it will cost a bit.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Allegheny County)

Just my 2-cents...

In order of genenerally available commercial FALs;
    Belgian FN FAL
    True "Joe Poyer" Aussie inch-pattern FAL (due to scareness if nothing else)
    Argentine FAL (LSR from DGFM, FN licensee)
    Brazilan FAL (SAR48)
    Isreali if your into HBAR FAL

Current production commercial FALs;
    DSA USA-made receiver, parts-kit FALs
    Century parts-kit FALs some on Brazilian recvrs, some on non-DSA US recvrs

And as others have posted... if your Cent FAL shoots and acts like a FAL - why bother unless you want the status symbol of a DSA? If you really want status - buy an FN.

I wish Cent FALs were around when I bought my Armscorp Argie, could've saved me some ducats.

(Montgomery County)

just a note, if the Century FAL is on an imbel receiver, you have a milspec, FN licensed, forged and milled receiver made on FN equipment.
    As long as it was put together right, you are golden.

if you have a Century "made in US" receiver, you have a porous, cast, bad geometry mess that will cost you cash in the long run if it breaks.

I sold ALL my HK style weapons back in the 90s when I got into FALs, parts are easier to work with, the mags were cheaper then, and the recoil and accuracy were better.
    Only recently did I pick up another HK style gun (PTR91K) and frankly, its nice, but i still like my FALs better for a more reliable and user friendly rifle.

I have had a SAR48 (Brazil) a CAI imported Canadian L1A1, and a DSA in the past (all very good guns), I now have 3 "homebuilt"s using StG58 parts and Imbel receivers....they do the same thing, and cost me less overall when I built them.

Right now, the DSA is the sweetest due to receiver manufacture, its the more involved and "prettier" type receiver, and its a very good product...probably the best FAL receiver ever built

other than that, its pretty much a parts gun(like my homebuilts) depending on what model you get...th very high end bull and med contour 100% DSA guns are very nice, but shoot overall no better than a very good parts kit gun, without some tweaking.

if your century gun is an Imbel, have it checked out by a FAL smith for any assembly issues, and if the finish isn't nice, refinish it to pretty it up, and shoot that sucker!

all 3 FALs in the pic are imbel receiver homebuilds, with DSA internals and a mix of DSA, Tapco saw grips, and penguin arms"humpback" buttstocks.

BTW, when I bought these imbel rceivers back in the late 90s, they were $99 from Federal Arms

top is:
    Imbel receiver
    Tapco scope/mount (i replaced that with factory steel topcover since)
    StG58 parts kit
    PA humpbackstock
    DSA hammer trigger sear
    DSA pistolgrip and handguards
    DSA Gas piston
    DSA semi selector

Middle is:
    Imbel receiver
    Chopped StG58 barrel with perm flashhider (16.2")
    Imbel para lower and stock
    DSA para bolt carrier
    DSA hammer trigger sear
    DSA semi selector
    DSA charging handle and gas piston
    Tapco SAW grip
    DSA extreme para scope mount
    Aimpoint ML2

Bottom FAL pistol:
    Imbel receiver
    DSA 11" OSA front end
    DSA para scope mount
    DSA semi selector
    Modified StG58 lower
    all foreign internals
    Pistols are not covered under 922r parts compliance issues.

Last edited by JayBell; October 16th, 2007 at 11:09 AM.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply