Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR Build

(Somerset County)

Default AR Build

I started this build shortly after the new year, with the purchase of a stripped Aero Precision lower and a DPMS LRPK from SurplusAmmo.com

I really like the fit and finish of this receiver, as well as the rollmark and selector marks (HK style)

I bought a stock and buffer tube off of a user of another forum:

and put it all together:

Then my build came to a halt, as I saved money for an upper.
    About halfway through my fasting I was given a call from my brother, who found a stripped A1 upper that someone was willing to give me. I immediately strapped it on my lower.

I bought some parts to fill up all the holes in the upper (except one):

Then got a crazy deal on a Daniel Defense BCG from AIMSurplus:

At this point I was pretty much set on a KISS lightweight carbine, so naturally the next thing to follow was a pencil profile 16" barrel assembly (Which I got for a great deal from DEZ Arms):

after buying some magpul goodies and mocking the whole thing up:

I got some tools from a friend, and (tried to) fit the barrel. After failing miserably; I took it to the smith around the corner from me, who helped me fit it, pro bono. He really is a great guy, retired CSM, vietnam vet. If you are in the Somerset area, I highly reccomend John Ross as a gunsmith. He has done great work for me in the past, and continues to do great work.

After we got the barrel on, I fitted the gas tube, and finished it all up yesterday:

Picked up a 100 pack of federal .223 from walmart, and took it shooting. Shoots great, still needs to get sighted in completely, I got it on paper though (I ran outta daylight )

Ran nice and clean (as clean as an AR can run :P ) and handled very very nicely. Weighs about 5 pounds unloaded. Great little gun, I am very happy with it.

(Schuylkill County)

Default Re: AR Build

Nice build! It's fun just getting things little by little when you can afford them and build gradually..

I want to do the same on my next build...
    III%

looks good, always wanted to build an ar but no idea where or how to start, so whats the total $?

You came up with a nice little KISS rifle for what seems to be not a lot of money. I'm a little jealous of the 5lb weight, to be honest... my only current AR-15 has all the bells and whistles and is getting a bit heavy. I've been strongly considering forking my AR-15 into 2 rifles, a KISS rifle much like yours with maybe an optic and a full-blown everything-you-can-do-I-can-do-better-so-long-as-it's-not-run-fast-with-me rifle with a flashlight and all those goodies.

I'm currently in the middle of my first AR-15 build (though not my first AR). Well, OK, first partial build. I'm going for a distance shooter. I bought a BCM 20" upper with Midwest Industries SS-15 handguards and standard length gas tube from a guy who got fired shortly after he bought it... I'm currently waiting on an Aero Precision stripped lower and the rest of the goodies. I definitely agree with you on the roll mark and selector markings, and have read all good things about Aero lowers.

Most importantly, have fun with it! Nothing melts stress for me like running an AR-15 hard.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_yorkPA View Post
    looks good, always wanted to build an ar but no idea where or how to start, so whats the total $?
    I like this guide quite a lot. It doesn't say much about parts selection, but shows you exactly how to assemble an entire AR-15 step-by-step.

(Somerset County)

Quote Originally Posted by mike_yorkPA View Post
    Not counting the upper, since I got it free, I paid just over $650 for everything, including 3 pmags.

If you dont have the tools to put on a barrel, I would reccomend buying an assembled upper, because it was a pain trying to diy the barrel fit, and I ended up hanging out at the smiths for about a half hour helping him get it on.

Bravo Company USA is having a sale on blem lowers (light cosmetic faults)
    Fully assembled with M4 stock for $285 shipped to your FFL. That's a pretty good deal, in my opinion for one of the better AR lowers in the business.

(Lehigh County)

Wow... 5lbs is very nice for a carbine. Would make a great SHTF rifle... you could carry that thing all day! Very nice!

(Northampton County)

I am really impressed with your decision making process on this build. A 5 lbm rifle is a true asset in this caliber. And the A1 sights are superior for most purposes compared to the A2 sights. And you can still put a light or a laser on it if you want. Don't get carried away with that crap.

(Somerset County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    I am really impressed with your decision making process on this build. A 5 lbm rifle is a true asset in this caliber. And the A1 sights are superior for most purposes compared to the A2 sights. And you can still put a light or a laser on it if you want. Don't get carried away with that crap.
    Haha luckily my wallet wont let me get carried away. Building this on a Penn State student's budget took some time. Only other big purchases I am planning are a heavier buffer, and a decent sling.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by MazeOfTzeentch View Post
    Haha luckily my wallet wont let me get carried away. Building this on a Penn State student's budget took some time. Only other big purchases I am planning are a heavier buffer, and a decent sling.
    You have a carbine gas system and a carbine stock. I would assume you have a carbine buffer. Unless I am missing something, I wouldn't add a heavier buffer than that. If you want faster follow-up shots, look at the FSC 556 Comp/Flash Reducer. But maybe you have other reasons for needing a heavier buffer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast