Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Questions on Regatta this sunday

Looking forward to heading down to pittsburgh for the regatta and fireworks on sunday. Do you know if they do any kind of searches or heavy security that I need to be aware of. I'm more concerned about the walk home that night after the fireworks with the wife. I'm thinking the point would be fun this year.

Any advice on parking would be appreciated, its been many years since i've gone down the for the fourth.
    No friend ever served me, and no enemy ever wronged me, whom I have not repaid in full

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Questions on Regatta this sunday

no checkpoints, no searches

Point State Park is a STATE park, your fine to carry.

parking..... cant help you. I would just park in a garage, but thats not always the best choice safety wise. If you look for street parking youll need to walk all the way through town most likely.

(Beaver County)

Park in a city Garage. I believe the day rate is $5.

DO NOT PARK ANYWHERE QUESTIONABLE. They will tow your ass.

Also, avoid parking on the North Shore. If its anything like it was today, it'll be a hot mess. Just park downtown and walk.

There does seem to be a heavy police presence and if you're gonna open carry you might get some shit, simply due to the number of LEO encounters that will be unavoidable.

If you do end up on the North Shore, stop by Rivertowne. I may be working or drinking.

Mark

(Montgomery County)

Question Re: Questions on Regatta this sunday

Quote Originally Posted by WereWolf View Post
    DO NOT PARK ANYWHERE QUESTIONABLE. They will tow your ass.
    What will they do to his car?

(Westmoreland County)

Thanks for all the responses. We're leaving early to check out things before they get too crazy.
    No friend ever served me, and no enemy ever wronged me, whom I have not repaid in full

(Allegheny County)

I was down on the north shore for a couple hours OC'ing my 1911 and eating good 4th of July carney food. Didn't have any problems so I wouldn't worry about any security points or searches. While I was waiting for some ice cream a guy asked if i was security of undercover. I told him neither and he said "just a regular guy? cool"

(Westmoreland County)

I was parked behind the delmonte building in the furthest rear lot. We watched the fireworks from the lot after touring the city for the day. It was a great time and about ten seconds after the fireworks finished we were in the truck and on our way out. total time to leave the chaos a stunning 3 minutes haha. It looked like hell after we were on the bridge leaving looking out the window.

It was pretty calm all in all. Quite a few very drunk folks, watched a few college kids hit some cars with footballs. Paid out the butt for "ice cold" (lukewarm) water. Although it was a nice 'visually appealing' enviroment. Not sure i'd go again for awhile but it was an adventure.

(Allegheny County)

glad to hear you had a good time visiting the 'burg!

this was the first year in quite awhile i did not venture downtown for the fireworks. two of the people we were hanging out with had to get up early for 12 hour shifts (both medical professionals) the next day, so we decided to just hang around lawrenceville so they could get to bed sooner after the fireworks were done.

we watched the fireworks from the 40th street bridge. you could see them OK, but not great. it was a perfect demonstration in the difference in the speed of light vs. the speed of sound, though. see a firework go off...wait, wait, wait...hear it go off. that was kinda neat. (i'm easily amused, i guess.)

i like going downtown, though, and would have preferred that...i like to people watch during events like the 4th and the regatta. the drunk ones crack me up. it's easy for us to get there and back, though. we can literally walk down there and back...or take a bus. so no parking issues to worry about.
    F*S=k