Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Age requirement?

Im 20 yrs old n own firearms ( obviously no hand guns yet) is it possible to apply for CC before the age of 21? ive been surfing around trying to find an answer but they really never specify if you have to be 21....

Default Re: Age requirement?

from what i remember reading here you must be 21 to apply, but ianal and could be wrong

(Philadelphia County)

You must be 21

18 Pa.C.S. § 6109: Licenses
    (b) Place of application.--An individual who is 21 years of age or older may apply to a sheriff for a license to carry a firearm concealed on or about his person or in a vehicle within this Commonwealth.

(Adams County)

I'd say it depends on the county. If you apply in a county where sheriff (deputy) doesn't look at application for 40 days, then you can probably apply 39 days before you turn 21. If you apply in a 10 minute turn-around county, you'll be declined immediately.

Just wait ...

Quote Originally Posted by jtwalker View Post
    I'd say it depends on the county. If you apply in a county where sheriff (deputy) doesn't look at application for 40 days, then you can probably apply 39 days before you turn 21. If you apply in a 10 minute turn-around county, you'll be declined immediately.
    Not true. As phillykev posted above, 18 Pa.C.S. § 6109 states that "an individual who is 21 years of age or older may apply to a sheriff for a license to carry a firearm concealed on or about his person or in a vehicle within this Commonwealth." You have to be 21 to apply for a PA LTCF.

To the OP, you can own a handgun when you're over 18 but under 21. You cannot buy a handgun from a dealer (FFL), but there are a few ways you can do it legally:

1) You can buy a handgun from a private party (non-FFL) and complete the transfer through a county sheriff or chief law enforcement officer
    Note: you will likely have a difficult time finding a county sheriff who will be willing to transfer a handgun to you.
    2) You can receive a handgun as a gift from a parent, grandparent, or spouse
    Note: no formal transfer paperwork is required at all for these types of "intra-family transfers".
    3) You can receive a handgun as part of an inheritance.

If you receive a handgun legally through one of the above methods, you may legally open carry it at under 21, with the following exceptions:

1) You cannot open carry in Philadelphia without a valid PA LTCF or a reciprocal state's CCW.

2) You cannot open carry in a vehicle without possessing a valid PA LTCF or other state's CCW (regardless of whether that state has reciprocity with PA.)
    Last edited by kcr121; July 7th, 2010 at 01:47 PM.

(Lehigh County)

thanks alot kcr i did not know you could legally do that, to clarify a little more, i go atving alot n most of the guys open carry while doing so, ( not on any national park or anything like that) so i can legally transport a handgun in my vehicle with ammunition separated n open carry while doing so while being under the age of 21?

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by american_fate View Post
    thanks alot kcr i did not know you could legally do that, to clarify a little more, i go atving alot n most of the guys open carry while doing so, ( not on any national park or anything like that) so i can legally transport a handgun in my vehicle with ammunition separated n open carry while doing so while being under the age of 21?
    No you cannot transport a handgun to a location to open carry without an LTCF.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by DonM55 View Post
    Source for this reasoning?

If he locks the unloaded gun in his trunk during transport and then reloads the gun when he is not in the car and is OC after, what's illegal about this?

However, to the OP, I'm almost certain that you can't OC on an ATV as that's considered a motor vehicle. An LTCF would be needed as such.

Quote Originally Posted by DonM55 View Post
    The only way I can think of to legally transport it would be to loan your gun to one of your buddies (with an LTCF) for the trip -- probably more defensible if he is in a separate vehicle.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Conglomeration Al View Post
    Source for this reasoning? If he locks the unloaded gun in his trunk during transport and then reloads the gun when he is not in the car and is OC after, what's illegal about this?
    For the OP, this would be a 3rd degree felony.
    Source: The law.
    18 Pa.C.S. § 6106: Firearms not to be carried without a license
    (a) Offense defined.--
    (1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree.
    (2) A person who is otherwise eligible to possess a [FN1] valid license under this chapter but carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license and has not committed any other criminal violation commits a misdemeanor of the first degree.
    (b) Exceptions.--The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to:
    It is legal to transport a firearm locked in the trunk under certrain Exceptions. None of the Exceptions apply to the OP.

However, to the OP, I'm almost certain that you can't OC on an ATV as that's considered a motor vehicle. An LTCF would be needed as such.
    I do believe this is true as well. Not sure if it's the motor vehicle code or not. Someone will be along to chime in I'm sure.
    The right to bear arms isn't for hunting bear. Subliminal Messages

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast