Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Hokkmike Guest

Default Will too much CLP hurt perfomance?

Will too much CLP hurt perfomance?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Took my P225 out to the "pit". Had a great time. Most cartridges ejected to the right and up. A few went straight up and I had one or two cycling problems. My friend with his Ruger P-94 (never flinched) said that he thought the problem could be due to excessive application of CLP.

Without worrying about diagnosing any problems what are your thoughts or past experiences with the effects of too much CLP or any other lubricant on the performance of auto pistols?

Thank you, and have a great week this week!

(Venango County)

Default Re: Will too much CLP hurt perfomance?

I am no expert but I would guess it depends on the pistol....Everyone I talk to says it will degrade the performance of a Glock...not sure about your gun, though.....

I'm sure someone else with a better grip(Pun Intended ) on this will help you out shortly

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

(Chester County)

Too much? Too much of any oil will eventually lead to built up crud and crap in your gun. That's not really an oil problem so much as it is a "you aren't cleaning your gun enough" problem. It's not the oil that seizes up the gun, or causes extraction/ejection problems, it's all the crap that sticks in the oil. So long as you clean the powder residue, dust bunnies, and copper/lead out of the mechanism, your gun will function perfectly even if absolutely swimming in oil.

If you're worried, cut back your application of oil a bit. Once the gun has been cleaned with a solvent (Hoppes or whatever you normally use), apply a few drops of CLP to a new cleaning cloth, and wipe down all exposed parts on your gun. Run a clean patch with a couple drops of CLP on it down the bore, and then run patchs until dry and clean. Put a few drops on each rail, and any other bearing surfaces and you should be fine. Then reassemble and wipe everything off with a clean cloth.

If that doesn't resolve your problems, you have mechanical issues -- extractor or ejector, maybe. Or maybe an ammo issue.

I've never had a problem with any of my autos (Glocks, H&K P7M8, and 1911s) and I tend to overuse CLP.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(Allegheny County)

OK, I'm going to ask this because I truly don't know the answer and I'm not ashamed to ask... WTF is CLP?

I received my sample of Weapon Shield, and I'm guessing that CLP stands for Cleaner/Lubricant/Protectant... am I close?

I had always assumed that CLP was a brand of lubricant. I guess that's not the case?

What makes a CLP product better than other "separate" products?
    I mean, most of the time, when someone is promoting a do-it-all product, it falls short in one or more areas in order to excel in the does-it all category. In other words, most "time-saving, wonder products" are crap.
    Why is it better to use a CLP than to use a separate cleaning product and lube product?

And back to the OP... how much is too much?

Thanks in advance for your help!
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    OK, I'm going to ask this because I truly don't know the answer and I'm not ashamed to ask... WTF is CLP?

I received my sample of Weapon Shield, and I'm guessing that CLP stands for Cleaner/Lubricant/Protectant... am I close?

I had always assumed that CLP was a brand of lubricant. I guess that's not the case?

What makes a CLP product better than other "separate" products?
    I mean, most of the time, when someone is promoting a do-it-all product, it falls short in one or more areas in order to excel in the does-it all category. In other words, most "time-saving, wonder products" are crap.
    Why is it better to use a CLP than to use a separate cleaning product and lube product?

And back to the OP... how much is too much?

Thanks in advance for your help!
    CLP is a brand of product made by Break Free. It stands for Clean, Lubricate, Protect. It isn't "better" than any other cleaning product.

I tend to use it only for the latter two, as it does seem to have a little more lubricity than regular gun oil. It also appears to penetrate or "stick" better to metal than regular oil.

While I use MPro-7 or Hoppes to clean everything, first, CLP seems to clean, fine, I just like the other stuff better. It doesn't seem to save me any time, but then again I'm a complete nut about keeping my guns perfectly clean.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

Hokkmike Guest

Empty Mag. I use "Break Free" as CLP of choice. It is the same as preferred by the US Army. Why is it better? I don't know that it is, but people whose opinions I respected have told me to use it.

As far as how much is too much I guess I can only explain by saying that after the pistol was shot some of eat dripped from unseen parts.

(Lawrence County)

CLP is a generic term for Cleaner, Lubricant and Protectant. Break Free just has a version. There are several "CLP's" on the market.

You only need as much CLP as necessary to do the intended job. While it can be argued that excess lube collects dirt, I find that excess lube is usually discarded....often right into my shooting glasses. In other words, if there is too much lube in a tight area.....it's coming out. Of course, more gets pushed around everytime moving parts move......it's why engine's have oil pumps. So.....I tend to err on the wet side on all my firearms.....save for the bore....that can increase pressures. Just a light coat there.

Lycanjustmy$.02thrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Delaware County)

I'm also a nut about keeping my guns squeeky clean. I use Hoppes as a solvent/cleaner and then CLP as a lubricant. Early on, I used so much of it that when I racked the slide on a semi, a fair amount would be left behind on the frame when it went back into battery or leak out a bit under the thumb safety. It was a pain in the butt to keep wiping it off. I have since learned that using it sparingly works just as well.