Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default new hunter in Berks needs help!

Hi all,

I've been in Berks county my whole life, except for 4 years of school in daytona beach. (I unsuccessfully went pig hunting a few times.) My family was always very anti-gun and never hunted, so I was the only 22 year old in a hunter safety course back in college.

The problem is, hunting skills and ability seemed to be passed on from father to son and whatnot, but I never got all that. So basically I have no idea how to go out, read nature, track game, or anything. I also have no idea where to go in Berks for hunting land.

I've gone a few times for pheasants and small game in college, but could really use some tips or pointers and suggestions on where to go in the greater Reading area. Would really like to go birding and out for deer this fall. guess I'll have to start applying for that license right?

Steve

(Bucks County)

Default Re: new hunter in Berks needs help!

Step 1: Go buy your license, and antlerless tag(s) if desired.

Step 2: Read the digest & familiarize yourself with the laws and re-read the particular parts concerning what you want to hunt.

Step 3: Go to the PGC website www.pgc.state.pa.us and read about the animal you wish to hunt. Get the maps and locations of the Game lands in your area, and Co-op farms.

Step 4: Go for a hike on the game lands, visit the farms & introduce yourself to the farmer. You could also visit other farms, introduce yourself, ask for permission to hunt & offer to help out on the farm in exchange for the privilege.

Step 5: Learn about the critters your after, their preferred habitat, their habits ect., and then go scout for them where you intend to hunt them. Observe them, and get to know them & their habitat.

Step 6: Join a club, meet people, and practice shooting.

If you do the above now, you'll be ahead of a lot of hunters, and your chances of success will rise exponentially. You'll enjoy yourself & learn a lot in the process.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: new hunter in Berks needs help!

Try the Game Lands at Blue Marsh. Always a bird to be found if you are willing to work and walk for it. I happen to really enjoy that sgl. Don't be afraid to ring me up if you need company

Best regards,
    chalmitch
    "If you believe the term "militia" means the National Guard then you must believe that freedom of speech is reserved for the Government Printing Office." - Some guy, 2/2007