Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: LTCF & Moving

(Adams County)

Default LTCF & Moving

I'm going to be moving to a different county, on the other end of the state. Is there a time limit or something to get a new LTCF in that next county, or is my current one good until it expires?

I tried searching for the answer btw, but my connection is slow and frustrating tonight.

Thanks,

camper
    It's the 2nd Amendment that protects all others

(York County)

Default Re: LTCF & Moving

doesn't a LTCF allow you to carry anywhere within the state? I have a York permit and have carried into Adams county before. Was I breaking the law? I was under the impression one permit was good enough for all counties is PA.
    Xbox Live Gamertag: My Tango Sucka

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by S&WM&P40 View Post
    doesn't a LTCF allow you to carry anywhere within the state? I have a York permit and have carried into Adams county before. Was I breaking the law? I was under the impression one permit was good enough for all counties is PA.
    Yeah, but my residence is changing. My drivers license allows me to drive anywhere in the state, but when I move I have to inform the DMV I have done so, and they give me a card to carry to note the change.

LTCF is issued by the county, not the state so I'm (right or wrong) assuming there's a difference I'm not aware of.

camper

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by S&WM&P40 View Post
    Your PA LTCF is good everywhere in the commonwealth that isn't prohibited by law.

To the OP, just because you're moving to another county within the state, your LTCF is still good until expiration. You may want to notify your issuing sheriff of your move so they can adjust the address to reflect your new place of residence.

Someone who knows a little more will be along.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

This has been answered before, but it's a really good question and it doesn't hurt to spread the info around.

You have no legal obligation to tell the old or new Sheriff that you've moved, but it's very much in your interests to tell the old one.

If you are revoked, the Sheriff only has to send notice to the address he has for you. If you don't get it, because you moved and didn't tell anyone, you're still revoked, and your license is no good. So you not only are carrying and relying on a worthless piece of paper, but you will miss the 30 day window to appeal the revocation.

Send a certified letter to the old sheriff, provide your new address, keep a copy and the USPS return card. The license itself is still valid until the 5 years are up (or it's revoked).
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Adams County)

Awesome, thanks Gunlawyer & JC! I may be moving to a county which is a PITA for getting one, so if I can hold off for a few years than this is a good thing.

camper
    (JC - wouldn't let me rep you, but I got you GL)

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by camper View Post
    Yeah, but my residence is changing. My drivers license allows me to drive anywhere in the state, but when I move I have to inform the DMV I have done so, and they give me a card to carry to note the change.

LTCF is issued by the county, not the state so I'm (right or wrong) assuming there's a difference I'm not aware of.

camper
    Just letting them know is enough. When I moved, I stayed in york county but of course the addresses were different. I infored the the old york county sherrif and he changed it in their system. No need to get a replacement LTCF with your new address on it unless you want to pay for one.
    Xbox Live Gamertag: My Tango Sucka

(Mifflin County)

Another reason to inform the issuing sheriff is that he is supposed to send out a reminder letter when you're close to expiration. While you wouldn't be returning to him if you move out of county, the reminder is nice to help insure you don't forget to go renew.