Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default NC and Tennessee gun laws

I'm riding my harley to NC and Tennessee for a few days later this month. I know that both are reciprocal states with PA as far as the LTCF.
    But, what about variations in the CC laws by state. Does anyone know anything about the laws in NC and Tennessee? I'm thinking I might be better off traveling unarmed. Any advice on this will be greatly appreciated.
    Love your country - Fear your government

Default Re: NC and Tennessee gun laws

www.handgunlaw.us is a great resource. It has a several-page description of carry laws for each state. NC is one of the most restrictive states in terms of where you can carry, and may make your trip difficult. No-go in any place that charges admission, restaurants that serve alcohol, state parks, public events, and any place that is posted. Tennessee is not so bad. Carry in restaurants that serve alcohol is again legal as long as you don't drink, but a lot of local parks are posted and now pretty much anything resembling a no-guns sign is enforceable (e.g., a "gunbuster" sign).

And unless you swing around through West Virginia, you'll need to be careful riding through some unfriendly turf.

Quote Originally Posted by hombre912 View Post
    I'm thinking I might be better off traveling unarmed. .
    That's what the criminals in tourist areas count on.
    -Remember the Constitution-

Quote Originally Posted by donm View Post
    now pretty much anything resembling a no-guns sign is enforceable (e.g., a "gunbuster" sign).
    This I hate. It is such bullshit. The law clearly states what the sign must be substantially similar to, yet they have disregard for that. I am not saying the poster is wrong, but that the "gunbusters" sign is so illegitimate.

Quote Originally Posted by beefcakeb0 View Post
    This I hate. It is such bullshit. The law clearly states what the sign must be substantially similar to, yet they have disregard for that. I am not saying the poster is wrong, but that the "gunbusters" sign is so illegitimate.
    Unfortunately the Tennessee law passed this year specifically legitimizes the "gunbuster" sign as well as the specific wording in the previous law:

(C) A building, property or a portion of a building or
    property, shall be considered properly posted in accordance with
    this section if one (1) or both of the following is displayed in
    prominent locations, including all entrances primarily used by
    persons entering the property, building, or portion of the property
    or building where weapon possession is prohibited:
    (i) The international circle and slash symbolizing
    the prohibition of the item within the circle
    ; or
    (ii) The posting sign described in this subdivision (3).

Tennessee allows for CC or OC same with NC in fact NC allows OC with no permit like PA.....

ive not carried in either state but i do know in some places like banks that are off limits to CC in north carolina are 100% legal to OC in....

(Lackawanna County)

I think they need fewer 'no guns' signs, and quite a few more of these:

Attached Images Attached Images
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."

In Tennessee it is a crime to carry a loaded weapon.The hand gun carry permit is a defense against the crime of going armed.One is able to carry a firearm into restaurants that serve alchohol as long as there is no posting.One is not allowd to consume alchohol while carrying a firearm. Some city and county parks allow carrying firearms and some prohibit the carrying of firearms. There is no requirement at present for the parks to be posted as prohibited. One must produce a permit,license.or whatever term applies if so requested by a police officer.Open carry is allowed in Tennessee,but as it is a crime to carry a firearm one will more than likely have a police encounter to determine that a permit or license is in ones possession. One is not requireed by law to inform police if carrying a firearm during a traffic stop. This website may provide some additional information about tennessee. http://www.tfaonline.org/

In Tn there is no duty to inform as said above. but in NC there is I believe.
    14‑415.11. Permit to carry concealed handgun; scope of permit.

(a) Any person who has a concealed handgun permit may carry a concealed handgun unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law. The person shall carry the permit together with valid identification whenever the person is carrying a concealed handgun, shall disclose to any law enforcement officer that the person holds a valid permit and is carrying a concealed handgun when approached or addressed by the officer, and shall display both the permit and the proper identification upon the request of a law enforcement officer. In addition to these requirements, a military permittee whose permit has expired during deployment may carry a concealed handgun during the 90 days following the end of deployment and before the permit is renewed provided the permittee also displays proof of deployment to any law enforcement officer.
    This is major, if you are detained and do not tell, you can face stiff charges. in NC.
    But in TN You mustif asked
    39-17-1351DISARMING OF PERMIT HOLDER BY POLICE OFFICER §39-17-1351
    Any law enforcement officer of this state or of any county or municipality may,
    within the realm of the officer's lawful jurisdiction and when the officer is
    acting in the lawful discharge of the officer's official duties, disarm a permit
    holder at any time when the officer reasonably believes it is necessary for the
    protection of the permit holder, officer or other individual or individuals. The
    officer shall return the handgun to the permit holder before discharging the
    permit holder from the scene when the officer has determined that the permit
    holder is not a threat to the officer, to the permit holder, or other individual
    or individuals provided that the permit holder has not violated any provision of
    this section and provided the permit holder has not committed any other violation
    that results in the arrest of the permit holder.

SHOWING PERMIT TO LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS §39-17-1351
    The permit holder shall have the permit in the holder's immediate possession at
    all times when carrying a handgun and shall display the permit on demand of a
    law enforcement officer.
    Last edited by beefcakeb0; July 6th, 2010 at 09:16 PM.

so i take it that if i am in my car and i am going to tenn. and i travel thru nc, i am ok carring my handgun with me as long as i have my permit with me also. all the sites listed here do not use plain english to answer questions, why is that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast