Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Erie County)

Default First Saturday of early muzzleloader, lets share!

This was the first year I went out for the early week. I got a new Optima Pro break action and had been impatiently awaiting yesterday to get here. I went out to the property I hunt during regular season along with my brother and a couple friends.

First thing I noticed is that those woods look alot different still fully leaved. I saw two young bucks, one 4 point and a 5 point (classic thin 3 on one side and a undeveloped fork on the other.) Both came within 10 yards of my stand. The first was at 7:35 and the second was around 9. About 11am we put on a few small drives as best we could with such limited numbers. By mid afternoon it was just my brother and I. At 5pm we got back in our stands to sit until dark. With 10 minutes left of shooting light I had a small doe enter one of my shooting lanes and then walk away from me carefully presenting me only a poor rump shot. She wasn't really a shooter, certainly not a first day deer. However I had a great day. It was cool enough to need warm gear but not harsh making sitting for 4 hours at a stretch uncomfortable. I'll likely get out 2 or 3 evening this coming week and then hunt next Saturday again if needed. Then it is near Turkey season and some more waterfowl opportunities until the regular deer season begins. I love this time of the year

My brother and I also talked about trying our hand at moose hunting. Perhaps we will try for a state lottery drawing in NH, VT, or Maine. Otherwise, Ontario, New Brunswick, Newfoundland or the like might be an option.

(Franklin County)

Default Re: First Saturday of early muzzleloader, lets share!

I had a wedding to go to.. My youngest daughter got married yesterday. But I am on vacation this week just for the early muzzle loader season..SO I am waiting for tomorrow to come to start my hunting season off right...I hunt the early season with a traditions pursuit LT. 50 cal. 28 " barrel. sweet gun..... any reason to get in the woods is a good reason..LOL
    In God We Trust............................

(Delaware County)

I went to my Chesco spot in the AM and saw a spike buck. Then in the PM I went to my Delco spot and saw a doe with fawn but no shot was presented. I took off the 15,16 and 17th from work in hopes of getting one.
    In their hearts humans plan their course, but the LORD establishes their steps.

just got done eating a big old lunch of deer meat from a buddy of mine who got one yesterday... mmmmm mmmm goooood

I'm not a hunter but i surely will oblige anyone when they invite me over to eat what they got

I was late getting out because of responsibilities as a father. Hit my spot around 3:30. I had several deer enter the field that I watch and of course they came out on the far side as the wind was bad. Had four more come out at around 4:45. Total of nine deer all feeding in the field. The closest being around 175. I was hoping for more like 50 as I use a T/C PA Hunter Carbine flintlock. I was just about to take a shot at a groundhog right before dark when a fawn blazed by me closely followed by mom. She stopped to my left quartering to me at about 35 yards. It was getting dark, was warm, and she presented what I considered to be a mediocre shot opportunity at best. The deer use woods off of the field as an escape funnel to get to a huge swamp. I was not up for entering the swamp after dark, so I didn't even bother going to full cock. I hope to get out again this week.
    Good luck to everyone.
    Jules

I was out around toftrees and thought that I was going to kill early - around 7am and be home before my wife was out of bed. Unfortunately, the doe was the size of a dog. To bad too, she was 50yds away and broadside. Too small - I want Bambi's mom, not Bambi. Saw a few more throughout the day until noon, but no shots were presented. All I have been seeing is small deer since bowhunting opened up. Dissappointing, but the season is still young like all the deer that I am coming across.

(Erie County)

I've been every evening this week and not seen any movement. I don't know if it is too warm but they just don't seem to be making the trek to feed until after dark.

Today is the first day for licensed youth and seniors to hunt antlerless with a centerfire. It lasts until Saturday so maybe that will get some more hunters in the woods and stiring things up abit. The other issues with the warm weather is that hunters can stay in their stands longer and it isn't very good for hanging the deer to cool out.

I'm hoping to get out tonight again, tommorrow as well and certainly all day Saturday.

Then my wife will see me again for at least a week until the 27th and it's turkey season!

(Delaware County)

I took a medium sized deer on Wed. at about 8AM with the TC Omega. I fell asleep up against a stone wall at my Chester Co. spot and awoke to a herd of deer running to my left. So I gave a quick deer grunt and stopped them. Then I just picked the one closest to my position and fired. Double lung shot and the deer just dropped in it's tracks. Those TC shockwave sabots are nasty!! Time for some sloppy doe.
    In their hearts humans plan their course, but the LORD establishes their steps.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by JIMMYC308 View Post
    I took a medium sized deer on Wed. at about 8AM with the TC Omega. I fell asleep up against a stone wall at my Chester Co. spot and awoke to a herd of deer running to my left. So I gave a quick deer grunt and stopped them. Then I just picked the one closest to my position and fired. Double lung shot and the deer just dropped in it's tracks. Those TC shockwave sabots are nasty!! Time for some sloppy doe.
    Hey good show! I'm heading out now and hoping the 3 day youth and senior hunt will get some deer moving near my stand.

(Somerset County)

Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteJack View Post
    I've been every evening this week and not seen any movement. I don't know if it is too warm but they just don't seem to be making the trek to feed until after dark.
    I think its been too warm as well. I was out Saturday evening, Monday morning, and Tuesday morning and so far all I've seen was a 6 point on Monday morning at daybreak. I'll be heading back out again probably Friday evening and Saturday morning. I'd like to finally get my first deer with a flintlock! (and get some venison in the freezer )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast