Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Carrying out west

Went with a friend out west these past two weeks. Drove around the national parks in Utah, Colorado, Idaho, South Dakota, Montana, Arizona, and Nevada. NV doesn't honor PA permits, so no carry there, but I had no problems carrying in the other states. I open carried in WY and AZ and never got the slightest odd look.

I did get pulled over for going a bit too fast in Idaho and as I was getting out of the car, the officer saw I was carrying and summarily disarmed me. He made a fuss about how I should have told him I was carrying, and I said I wasn't aware I had to, and to my surprise, he actually admitted I didn't...but it would've made things go "smoother".

I am still pissed that I let him take my weapon without an objection, but for all those here (I've been one of 'em) who criticize others about being disarmed without objecting, it is a very hectic experience, especially with a LEO who is unfortunately in complete control of the situation. I was a stranger in a strange land and I wasn't in the best position to give a dissertation about my Constitutional rights. I know I should have done so, and for that I am regretful...but an $85 ticket for a learning experience such as this is money well spent. I will be better prepared if there is a next time, and I hope there won't be.

Default Re: Carrying out west

In the real world, refusing his order and beginning a "dissertation" would most likely have put you in cuffs. Curious why you got out of the car. Unless they ask you to (not generally a good sign) it's not something they like to see.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by donm View Post
    In the real world, refusing his order and beginning a "dissertation" would most likely have put you in cuffs. Curious why you got out of the car. Unless they ask you to (not generally a good sign) it's not something they like to see.
    Not consenting is not the same thing as "refusing an order". One must not simply accept everything they are told, even if the person telling them has a uniform and badge.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Lackawanna County)

yeah why the fuck did you get out the car??? Esp OCing, that's a good way to get yourself shot or jammed up. Unless you hop out the car to say hey this person im with is bleeding and i'm going to the hospital or something along those lines STAY IN THE WHIP.

(Philadelphia County)

I was CCing; my shirt slid up as I got out. I had to get the papers for the car which were in the trunk.

I don't see a problem with anything you did. Raising an objection after an officer has already decided to disarm you won't get you very far, I'm afraid. By all means raise it. I'd also be leery about getting into it with an out of state cop, in that it could result in multiple necessary return trips no matter how right you are. I might have asked in what way things would have gone smoother, probably with a little joke so he didn't take it as overly confrontational... "How would things go smoother? I think we're doing great!" would probably elicit an explanation without souring the officer's mood. I think sometimes people don't think cops aren't people and their emotions shouldn't cloud their actions, but after a day of dealing with the public (in a capacity in which I'm not writing them tickets) I tend to be in a pretty foul mood because of a few choice interactions.