Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Eotech

(Washington County)

Default Eotech

Which Eotech is the best? any opinions? I'm going to be looking for an Eotech for my Stag build Ar15. I am also looking to get the 3x magnifier down the road also. Any suggestions on a good setup?

Default Re: Eotech

I just bought a XPS2 two days ago for my M&P15 & love it. It co-witnesses with my Troy BUIS & after trying 3 or 4 possible locations on the rail to mount it, I found that it didn't make any difference where it was; the sight picture was good. It took about a minute to mount. The XPS2 is non-NVD capable, but is $100 cheaper than the XPS3.
    It uses 1 lithium 123 battery which is in the unit perpendicular to the barrel, & takes up less rail space than the 512 (and similar models) which use 2 AA batteries parallel to the barrel.
    There are 20 brightness settings, which are adjusted with up & down buttons. When the unit is turned on, you're on the lowest setting & it's plenty bright enough for inside the house SD use. I was at the range today to shoot it in, & found the reticle was visible in bright sunlight on the lowest setting. 5 more pushes of the ^ button made it perfect.
    When you turn the unit on with the "up" button, it's on 8 hr auto shut-off. If it's turned on with the "down" button, it's on 4 hr auto shut-off. The auto shut-off timer starts after the last use of the up or down buttons.
    The thing is so fast & instinctive getting on target from the offhand position, I'm afraid it's going to spoil me.
    Hope this helps.
    Last edited by IronButt; July 2nd, 2010 at 05:03 PM. Reason: typo
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Montgomery County)

Its all up to you, I had a 512 but didn't like the fact it wasn't N/V and it was long. I got an awesome deal on an XPS3 so I bought it.

(York County)

Which one really depends on what you are using it for or expect to get out of it. It's best if you look at several ones at a shop or gunshow. I had a 512 but swapped it for an Aimpoint. To me, I prefer the Aimpoint's field of view along with some other minor differences the Aimpoint has over the Eotech. Either way, kudos on not going cheap on your optics. Don't be afraid to look at used optics from a reputable seller as you can save some bucks over new. Also keep your eye out for fakes as they are coming over by the boatload these days. AR15.com has tons of info on either optics and you can get a good idea of current pricing for new and used over there.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelblitz View Post
    Don't be afraid to look at used optics from a reputable seller as you can save some bucks over new.
    ^What he said plus most of higher grade optics have transferable lifetime warranties and such. I have an eotech 512. I don't use NVG so that isn't a concern and AA batteries are cheap and easy to find. I also prefer the 65moa reticle of the Eotech over the 4 moa dot of the Aimpoint.

(York County)

Aimpoint has 2 moa or 4 moa by the way. The adjustment of the Aimpoint 'dot' can take it down to what appears it to be even smaller comparing them hands on to an eotech 1 moa sight. It's that 65moa reticle of the eotech I didnt like, too much heads up clutter for me. I think it works great for close shooting for quick acquisition of a target, but anything longer that you can take your time with, it just wasnt for me. As far as batteries on the aimpoint, get em at walmart, after they wear out in 80,000 hours.

Yep Aimpoint has an 8 moa dot too and everything from 1x to 4x magnification.I'm not knocking Aimpoint they make hardcore kit. There are the Trijicon Tri-Power, the Leupold Delta Point, and JP Industries JPoint too. The best thing to do is coordinate with a few people through PAFOA and test some member gear or take a trip to the store and give everything a good once-over. The choice and money is all yours.

I compared & handled Aimpoints & EOTechs for months. I got on alot of the AR forums & read alot of the comparisons, too. Everybody's different. I just found that for me, the EOTech was faster to get on target with my bifocals or contact lense, (I only wear one in my dominant eye.) With the Aimpoint, I had to close one eye until I found the dot. Not a big deal, but the EOTech just worked better for me.
    I'm probably one of the few who prefers the EOTech's 65/1 MOA reticle over the 2 or 4 MOA dot. Aimpoint's battery life can't be beat, though. I use 123 batteries in my Surefire lights, so I always have a full box on hand.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell