Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Coca cola park question.

Does any body know, or can anybody find anything about carrying at coca cola park. I am going there for a ball game for my fiance's company picinic. I'm searching frantically but cant find anything... HELP!!!!!!

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Coca cola park question.

damn it, of course there not allowed

(Carbon County)

PLENTY of threads telling you this: http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...nsylvania.html
    Its NOT unlawful. It only becomes unlawful if they ask you to leave and you dont then its considered trespassing. It doesnt even matter if they post signs telling you you cant carry..they mean NOTHING in PA!
    You can carry there open or concealed unless they ask you to leave as you can on ANY private property.
    If its concealed... they will never know will they ....unless you need it? At that point you'd be glad you did!
    if you ever see my post edited...its most likely for speling :D
    "Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges"-In Time of War the Law Falls Silent-Cicero
    "Si vis pacem, para bellum"-If you want peace, prepare for war-Flavius Vegetius Renatus

"America Starts Here!"-former PA state Slogan...until NJ complained and our wussy GovRendell changed it!

(Lehigh County)

I normally OC most of the time but it wouldn't even cross my mind to do it there or anywhere else I'm going to be in a close quarter crowd. I've been there several times CC without a problem. When I conceal I conceal. I don't wear a sign that says I have a gun.
    The older I get, the better I used to be.

(Northampton County)

CC'ed there many times with just a t shirt..Never a problem.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Archiver View Post
    PLENTY of threads telling you this: http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...nsylvania.html
    Its NOT unlawful. It only becomes unlawful if they ask you to leave and you dont then its considered trespassing. It doesnt even matter if they post signs telling you you cant carry..they mean NOTHING in PA!
    You can carry there open or concealed unless they ask you to leave as you can on ANY private property.
    If its concealed... they will never know will they ....unless you need it? At that point you'd be glad you did!
    18 Pa.C.S.A. § 3503 Emphasis Added.

(b) Defiant trespasser.--

(1) A person commits an offense if, knowing that he is not licensed or privileged to do so, he enters or remains in any place as to which notice against trespass is given by:
    (i) actual communication to the actor;
    (ii) posting in a manner prescribed by law or reasonably likely to come to the attention of intruders;

(iii) fencing or other enclosure manifestly designed to exclude intruders;
    (iv) notices posted in a manner prescribed by law or reasonably likely to come to the person's attention at each entrance of school grounds that visitors are prohibited without authorization from a designated school, center or program official; or
    (v) an actual communication to the actor to leave school grounds as communicated by a school, center or program official, employee or agent or a law enforcement officer.
    (2) Except as provided in paragraph (1)(v), an offense under this subsection constitutes a misdemeanor of the third degree if the offender defies an order to leave personally communicated to him by the owner of the premises or other authorized person. An offense under paragraph (1)(v) constitutes a misdemeanor of the first degree. Otherwise it is a summary offense.
    It seems the law disagrees with you.

This is extremely dangerous advice and is downright wrong imo. Ironsight has already posted the statute, but depending on their size and conspicuousness, signs telling you no weapons allowed could in fact be considered notice "reasonably likely to come to the attention of intruders."
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

(Carbon County)

Still dont think it applies. THAT statute refers to actual trespass as in "No Trespassing" meaning you can not enter in any way shape or form unless authorised to do so not a prohibition on NOT entering based on Specific criteria like firearms. NO LAW specificly mentions guns but rather the person here at PFOA who summerised 18 Pa.C.S. § 3503: Criminal trespass included in their interpretation.
    If there case law to back up signs prohibiting firearms of which I am unaware or is it just a worst case scenario by misinterpreting Police and DA's? I recall opinions and conclusions previously supporting mine in previous threads.

The Trespass statute further states

(c) Defenses.--It is a defense to prosecution under this section that:
    (1) a building or occupied structure involved in an offense under subsection (a) of this section was abandoned;
    (2) the premises were at the time open to members of the public and the actor complied with all lawful conditions imposed on access to or remaining in the premises; or

The "open to the public" implies that the statute applies to just what it says as well infers that it was NOT a private event or restricted area such as one would encounter on private land, club or business. Of course the "access to or remaining" may be interpreted that supports the prohibition. But then it would amount to if such a "intruder" had knowledge of any restriction under "reasonably likely to come to the attention of intruders;"
    Other states require a certain size font, location and other "reasonable" limitations. All more the reason to amend the law for clarity regarding what is reasonable.
    One would think that a good idea would be that busineses requiring public licensing, although private property, should follow the same restictions as public property.
    One thing for sure is I'm gonna phone my lawyer and have him ask his buddy the Magistrate what HE thinks!
    Last edited by Archiver; July 2nd, 2010 at 02:31 AM.
    "Si vis pacem, para bellum"-If you want peace, prepare for war-Flavius Vegetius Renatus

"America Starts Here!"-former PA state Slogan...until NJ complained and our wussy GovRendell changed it!

Still dont think it applies. THAT statute refers to actual trespass as in "No Trespassing" meaning you cann not enter in any way shape or form unless authorised to do so. NO LAW specificly mentions guns but rather the person who summerised 18 Pa.C.S. § 3503: Criminal trespass here at PAOF included in their interpretation. The LAW does not appear to specify a firearm specificly. If there case law to back this up of which I am unaware or is it just a worst case scenario by misinterpreting Police and DA's? I recall different opinions supporting mine in previous threads.
    In any case assuming I am incorrect--The key is then "reasonably likely to come to the attention of intruders;"
    Other states require a certain size font, location and other "reasonable" limitations. All more the reason to amend the law for clarity regarding what is reasonable.
    One would think that a good idea would be that busineses requiring public licensing, although private property, should follow the same restictions as public property.
    Why not just flip that around then. Everyone is allowed to enter unless authorized NOT to (such as by carrying a firearm when the property owner has made it clear they do not wish to have firearms on their property).

You're applying the trespassing statute to private property. However, the statute can also apply to quasi-public areas as well (which I personally would consider Coca Cola Park).

The law also doesn't say anywhere that places can ban hoodies and baseball caps, but there are malls that do. As long as you are not a protected class (such as gender and race), a property owner can ask you to leave for ANY reason. Firearm, hoodie, baseball cap, etc. If a mall puts up huge neon signs at every entrance that said "NO BASEBALL CAPS" and some kid walks in with a baseball cap they could be charged with defiant trespass, plain and simple.

On the last part I do agree though which is why I said it would depend on the conspicuousness of the signs as to whether the statute could be enforced on signage alone.
    Last edited by zackattack784; July 2nd, 2010 at 02:24 AM.
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

(Carbon County)

The PAFOA link also goes on later to states that its a summary offense so who really cares since it doesnt affect your LTCF. Its apparently only upgraded to a misdemenor if you stupidly fail to leave.

No Guns types signs on private property: delinquentes caveo
    These type of signs lack a direct violation to places being off-limits. However they do set a conditional permission to be on the property. Violation of that condition is trespassing instantly. Such signs serve as first notice to a summary trespassing violation and you can be cited without a verbal warning. Now we all like to carry where ever we can, but we also want our property rights to be held in sanctity, to have our own land and building sanctity we must honor other's property rights as well. This is NOT legal advice or a tip to circumvent the law, but if you have a compelling need to carry on private property so marked - keep it CONCEALED and dont draw attention to yourself. If founded to be carrying you can be cited on the spot for a summary offense. Which to follow that you will most likely be asked to leave, if you fail to do so you will be arrested on a misdemeanor offense.

I do disagree with "property right sanctity" since businesses that require licenses have to meet many other obligations imposed by government which should certainly be the enforcement of laws and that includes the US and PA Constitutions.
    On your own personal property where the PUBLIC is not welcome without invitation would be entirely different.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast