Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lehigh County)

Default Flight 93 Memorial, Cresent of Embrace

Flight 93 Memorial Project

"Crescent of Embrace," by Paul Murdoch Architects

This page is about the controversy surrounding the design of the Flight 93 Memorial Project.

As already pointed out at Real Clear Politics and Little Green Footballs, the winning design chosen to memorialize the heroes and victims of 9/11's Flight 93 is in the shape of a red crescent that looks -- either accidentally or intentionally -- remarkably like an Islamic crescent.

To prove this point, I have taken a high-resolution map of the winning design (a pdf of which can be downloaded at this site (alt-click or option-click to download the pdf file); and a prototypical rendition of the Islamic crescent moon (taken from the Tunisian flag, the original image of which can be found at this site).

Here is the winning memorial design (by Paul Murdoch Architects), entitled "Crescent of Embrace," rotated so that it points to the right:

And here is a typical Islamic crescent, taken directly from the Tunisian flag:

This is what it looks like when we lay the memorial design (made transparent) on top of the Islamic crescent:

As is plainly visible, they are almost identical.

An animated image that I made, comparing the two shapes, can be found at the top of this page. (Hat tip to Rayra for inspiring this Throbbing Memorial animated gif.)

Rayra has also created his own animated gif comparing the memorial and a Tunisian flag crescent: you can see it here.

"Hillbilly geek" has also created a very interesting animation with the landscape view of the memorial.

"Etaoin Shrdlu" has generated an azimuthal equidistant world map centered on the location of the Flight 93 Memorial which seems to indicate that the crescent is oriented toward Mecca.

If you feel this "Crescent of Embrace" design is inappropriate for a memorial to Flight 93, you can email your suggestions and concerns to

Paul Murdoch, the winning architect, at paul@paulmurdocharchitects.com;

or the National Park Service, which will make the final decision on the design, at their Flight 93 Web contact form;

or you can call the Superintendent of the Flight 93 National Memorial at (814) 443-4557, or fax him at (814) 443-2180.
    Veritas Vos Liberat

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Flight 93 Memorial, Cresent of Embrace

To me, it looks like a frigging incomplete circle...

with a frigging crescent moon painted on top of it.

I'd file this one under conspiracy.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Westmoreland County)

I heard about this awhile ago from a guy I met that claimed to be collaborating on a book about the Crescent conspiracy. I too think it is just that, a conspiracy...but maybe it should be changed. Choose another design so everyone doesn't get worked up.

New AR15 Forum! www.AlphaRomeo15.org All AR, No Attitude!

Quote Originally Posted by RocketFoot View Post
    Choose another design so everyone doesn't get worked up.
    +1.. people have enough to bitch about dont give them another reason to annoy me

(Delaware County)

I don't know, to me, it's just like that Naval Building that was shaped like a Nazi sign, it was probably unintentional and no matter what, someone somewhere will find offense with it.

This world has gotten so f'n paranoid about anything & everything, too politically correct about everything, it's become a "everybody's out to get me" and an "I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings" world. The design in the first post had to be turned upside down to see the damn thing for crying out loud.

It's all too ridiculous , remember the Proctor & Gamble logo thing, it's all just some paranoid people with too much time on their hands making this crap up.

OK /soapbox

Bill

i usually call bullshit on all conspiracy theories, and I dont see this one to be any different really.. but did they have to outline the "C" shape in red bushes? lol

(Allegheny County)

Angry Re: Flight 93 Memorial, Cresent of Embrace

Well, I call it, the crescent of PISS - as in, PISS on Mohammedans! I don't give a flying FREEP about their damnable, man-made religion, and if they stick the name of those ragheads on the plaque somewhere (as I've ALSO heard they're going to do), then we'll ALL know where to take a DUMP when we go to visit!

Bob