Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Training Class for the women????

Quote Originally Posted by Ladi View Post
    That's why we separate couples and don't have them teach or supervise each other. We do, however, encourage them to learn how to shoot together respectfully. It rarely hurts to point out how the women are picking up on the fundamentals faster (as is nearly inevitable - they often pay closer attention!) and give the men some exposure to shooting with women who aren't their partners and who are competent shooters.
    That sounds like a plan.

Women tend to be moe receptive to instruction than men - ego issues aren't there.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Thekatar View Post
    That sounds like a plan.

Women tend to be moe receptive to instruction than men - testosterone issues aren't there.
    Fixed it for you.

(Washington County)

In my limited experience, couples should not attend training together. At the very least, if they do, they should be at opposite ends of the line. Women in general are very receptive to instruction but not instruction from their husband.

FWIW, Vicki Farnam I believe will be in Coraopolis in May, and she sort of specializes in teaching women.
    I looked at DTI's schedule to see about the Women's Defensive Handgun course they had scheduled for Coraopolis, but it almost seems like the class was an afterthought.

The Women's class is normally a 3 day class (the class description states 2 days and the schedule has it as 3 days every other time it's scheduled), but they have it scheduled as a 1 day class on May 26th. DTI is offering 3 different courses at Coraopolis May 24th through the 26th, but even the Basic/Intermediate Defensive Handgun is shortened from a 3 day class down to a 2 day class. Unless they're not charging the full $495 class tuition, I'd say the women are definitely getting the short end of the stick.

I had a different class in mind for my next training class, but maybe I'll try and call DTI tomorrow and see if I can get to the bottom of the shortened class and what their course expectations are for a 1 day class.
    I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. -- Susan B. Anthony, July 1871

(Cambria County)

In my limited experience, couples should not attend training together. At the very least, if they do, they should be at opposite ends of the line. Women in general are very receptive to instruction but not instruction from their husband.
    Shhhhh, don't tell the betterhalves that until we get them there.

And yes, we agree. But we just want to try and get some girlfriends and wives there that won't go alone.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

Being a woman for a couple of years.....
    I can say with definition that all you gotta do is drop her off, she'll get right with the women and forget all about you.
    Believe it or not, we can actually function quite well in an atmosphere that is not thick with testosterone.
    We pee in pairs, we can surely shoot in pairs.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by colagrrl View Post
    I looked at DTI's schedule to see about the Women's Defensive Handgun course they had scheduled for Coraopolis, but it almost seems like the class was an afterthought.

The Women's class is normally a 3 day class (the class description states 2 days and the schedule has it as 3 days every other time it's scheduled), but they have it scheduled as a 1 day class on May 26th. DTI is offering 3 different courses at Coraopolis May 24th through the 26th, but even the Basic/Intermediate Defensive Handgun is shortened from a 3 day class down to a 2 day class. Unless they're not charging the full $495 class tuition, I'd say the women are definitely getting the short end of the stick.

I had a different class in mind for my next training class, but maybe I'll try and call DTI tomorrow and see if I can get to the bottom of the shortened class and what their course expectations are for a 1 day class.

The DTI Basic / Intermediate handgun class I took at Forest Grove in 02 was a 2 day class. There was an additional day which was listed as a "Completion course" which was separate from the B/I.

I think Doc does his Tac/Med on the third day (seperate class) or he did till he moved.

27hand
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Allegheny County)

Thumbs up Re: Training Class for the women????

We (LadySpartan31 and myself) may be interested... I'll have to double check with her first.

She has expressed interest in taking a formal course before, but have always needed a little more motivation. A whole class of couples should put her a little more at ease when there are more females attending =)

I, on the other hand, have been a bad bad bad (aka. busy with work) kid and haven't been practicing as much as I want. So the course would surely benefit me as well as a refresher and polish up some kinks I may have.. .isn't that right, Tony?

I enjoyed the basic tactical class with Giles Stock and Tony a while back, and loved the weekend course. I am sure the quality of instruction from Tony will be first class as well.

Let me double check with my LadySpartan first tho. Unfortunately, I think her final exams are somewhere near there.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345